John Brannen - Cincinnati Issues

Walter

Someone help me out here that followed NKU closely during the Brannen years. 

UC had 5 guys enter the transfer portal yesterday, including freshman Mike Saunders JR who had a close relationship with JB dating back to his 7th grade year.

Reports seem to suggest that they are leaving because of serious disconnect with Brannen and his staff. 

UC is currently left with just 5 scholarship players, assuming nobody else leaves. (I'm expecting another freshman today)

He has had players quit midway during the season in back to back years to pursue overseas opportunities

What was the story with Carson Williams and Faulkner leaving?

This seems to be a common theme with him as far as kids leaving/transferring and I'm wondering if reports of him being hard to play for because of his ego and unwillingness to change his ways has any validity.

• Thanks 1

I don’t know why all the players are leaving. I wonder if UC is dealing with a Billy G at UK type situation. 

With that said, and I mentioned it in another thread. I think UC if they make a change should go for Pitino. I think it would be a perfect match for both the school and him. 

2 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

So the freshmen he obviously recruited, which is not a good thing. What about the other guys?

Mamadou Diarra is the only player leaving that wasn't recruited by Brannen. He entered the portal as a grad transfer.

FR Mike Saunders Jr- Well documented the close relationship he had with the Saunders family that led to him at UC.

FR Tari Eason- Mom dropped hints on Twitter that she had questions about his culture and accountability and how he handled player situations

FR Gabe Madsen- Opted out at the beginning of the season, stating the restrictions and confinement were effecting his mental health and not a way he wanted to live his life

Soph Zach Harvey- Opted out mid season and entered the portal yesterday with the others. Rumors that Brannen trashed him when he opted out and that didn't sit well with the other players.

Rapolas Ivanauskas- Grad transfer from Colgate. Was told during his recruitment he would play the 4 and that's why he chose UC. Game didn't translate to that position at UC's level so he was moved to the 5 to give Eason more mins at the 4. Left the program shortly after that decision. 

David Dejulius- Michigan transfer opted out late in the season and returned for the conference tournament. He is the only one that has praised the coaching staff for helping him... That is what concerns UC fans with the other transfers. 

Rumors that freshman Mason Madsen (twin brother of Gabe) will likely transfer and Jeremiah Davenport (Moeller grad- UC was his dream school) has been talked about as leaving as well. 

All of this on top of losing grad transfer Jay Sorolla last year midseason (similar situation to Ivanauskas and going overseas) as well as Trevor Moore (Cronin recruit).

It's also well known that Jarron Cumberland didn't see eye to eye with JB. He posted on his IG stories several times at the beginning of the season during the losing streak that JB needed to go and he's ruining UC basketball. 

Brannen has 8 scholarships to fill and ZERO commits for 2021 and 2022. 

• Thanks 4

• theguru changed the title to John Brannen - Cincinnati Issues
34 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I don’t know why all the players are leaving. I wonder if UC is dealing with a Billy G at UK type situation. 

With that said, and I mentioned it in another thread. I think UC if they make a change should go for Pitino. I think it would be a perfect match for both the school and him. 

I would love to see Ricky P at UC too... Unfortunately, the current UC President (Dr Pinto) was at Louisville during the Pitino years so would never happen under his watch. 

• Like 1

Here is my 2 cents.  Brannon will be removed in short order.  He coaches the old school way and kids today do not like that.  Too me the biggest issue is the Transfer Portal and the ease with which kids can now live from school to school.  I was told that there are 350 plus kids in the portal right now.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, theguru said:

Cincinnati almost has to make a coaching change, right?

That's where a lot of UC fans are at right now with the situation. 

Something serious had to have happened to drive away all of his players. Not sure if it's related or was just the final straw but after the Houston loss, Brannen can be seen walking toward the Houston bench to shake hands with Sampson and leave the floor with 15 seconds left... While his players were left on the bench. Both Eason and Saunders mothers tweeted about it when it happened.

With no kids committed and basically no roster, it's going to be really hard for him to sell the program to transfers or recruits that are good enough to win at the level UC fans were used to under Cronin. I think the AD needs to make a decision ASAP.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Walter said:

That's where a lot of UC fans are at right now with the situation. 

Something serious had to have happened to drive away all of his players. Not sure if it's related or was just the final straw but after the Houston loss, Brannen can be seen walking toward the Houston bench to shake hands with Sampson and leave the floor with 15 seconds left... While his players were left on the bench. Both Eason and Saunders mothers tweeted about it when it happened.

With no kids committed and basically no roster, it's going to be really hard for him to sell the program to transfers or recruits that are good enough to win at the level UC fans were used to under Cronin. I think the AD needs to make a decision ASAP.

I think you nailed it Walter. 

3 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Here is my 2 cents.  Brannon will be removed in short order.  He coaches the old school way and kids today do not like that.  Too me the biggest issue is the Transfer Portal and the ease with which kids can now live from school to school.  I was told that there are 350 plus kids in the portal right now.  

Agreed. Former UC players have commented on the situation and said how "soft" today's players and kids are.

The transfer portal has allowed them an easy out, rather than forcing them to stick it out and work through tough times. 

Former Bearcat Kevin Johnson:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Walter said:

Agreed. Former UC players have commented on the situation and said how "soft" today's players and kids are.

The transfer portal has allowed them an easy out, rather than forcing them to stick it out and work through tough times. 

Former Bearcat Kevin Johnson:

Generally speaking I agree with Kevin Johnson but when players have a choice (a choice where they are not punished in any way by having to sit out) situations like UC (and transfers in general) are the new normal. 

I know I harp on this but actual choice changes a lot in life. 

• Like 1

I am all for players being allowed to transfer if and when they wish.  So I don't side with the transfer portal being the problem here.  Brannen has always struck me as a guy that I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing for.  Doesn't seem like he has much of a personality.

• Like 1