Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

John Brannen - Cincinnati Issues

Featured Replies

  • Author

Spell had a relationship with UC going back to a visit in 2019... Still don't think JB is the right fit to lead at UC but glad the rebuild process has started.

 

  • Replies 146
  • Views 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
12 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

Walking out on your team like that is ridiculous, even if I do agree that the younger generation is softer in some ways.  How could you ever be upset with a player who walks out on you when you've done the same thing?  And during a game?

Both the AD and Brannen have been questioned about this and the other stuff being presented as happening. Still no statement.

I think the fans and donors deserve an explanation. In a time where they are hurting for money from a pandemic, they can't afford to lose season ticket holders and financial support because the majority of a fan base doesn't like a coach. 

10 minutes ago, Walter said:

Both the AD and Brannen have been questioned about this and the other stuff being presented as happening. Still no statement.

I think the fans and donors deserve an explanation. In a time where they are hurting for money from a pandemic, they can't afford to lose season ticket holders and financial support because the majority of a fan base doesn't like a coach. 

They might need to bring Luke in to consult or speak on it.  He’s a leader and earns respect by taking ownership.

48 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

They might need to bring Luke in to consult or speak on it.  He’s a leader and earns respect by taking ownership.

Why would you call in the football coach to talk about what's going on with the basketball program? That only makes it worse.

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Why would you call in the football coach to talk about what's going on with the basketball program? That only makes it worse.

Well. He might coach basketball better than Brannen.....

4 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Why would you call in the football coach to talk about what's going on with the basketball program? That only makes it worse.

Because the AD is in hiding and people actually respect Fickell, it was a jest though, chill lol.

9 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Because the AD is in hiding and people actually respect Fickell, it was a jest though, chill lol.

I mean. I got the joke. At this point, it’s either laugh or cry. On a positive note, we beat out Elon, Old Dominion, and George Washington for a recruit today. (I hope the sarcasm is caught). UC basketball at this point feels like UL football when Steve Kragthorpe was coaching.

3 hours ago, HoopJunkie said:

Well. He might coach basketball better than Brannen.....

He wouldn’t need the summer BBQ that Brannen missed, for his players to respect him and get to know him, I can tell you that much.  

  • Author
23 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Why would you call in the football coach to talk about what's going on with the basketball program? That only makes it worse.

Agreed he doesn't need to speak on it, but Luke is very involved in decisions made within the athletic department. He was apart of the interview process when Brannen was hired. 

1 minute ago, Walter said:

Agreed he doesn't need to speak on it, but Luke is very involved in decisions made within the athletic department. He was apart of the interview process when Brannen was hired. 

I get that. I just think having the football coach speak on the basketball program is a horrible look, externally. Doesn’t have anything to do with Fickell. 

  • Author
18 hours ago, HoopJunkie said:

I mean. I got the joke. At this point, it’s either laugh or cry. On a positive note, we beat out Elon, Old Dominion, and George Washington for a recruit today. (I hope the sarcasm is caught). UC basketball at this point feels like UL football when Steve Kragthorpe was coaching.

The more I've heard and saw on Spell, I think UC is getting a good one. Maryland and VA Tech were involved in his recruitment as well after a really good high school season that ended in a state championship. Listened to an interview with him this morning and he would have likely blown up had he been able to play with Boo Williams 17U last summer on the EYBL circuit. I wouldn't look too much in to his offer sheet or ratings. Not many kids were evaluated during the pandemic.

6'9 215 and can play the 3 or 4... Watch his film. He's really skilled and shoots well for his size. 

  • Author
1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

I get that. I just think having the football coach speak on the basketball program is a horrible look, externally. Doesn’t have anything to do with Fickell. 

Right. Definitely something the AD and Brannen need to release a statement on. Has nothing to do with Fick. Was just saying he's very involved in AD decisions and is consulted on many topics. 

 

1 hour ago, Walter said:

The more I've heard and saw on Spell, I think UC is getting a good one. Maryland and VA Tech were involved in his recruitment as well after a really good high school season that ended in a state championship. Listened to an interview with him this morning and he would have likely blown up had he been able to play with Boo Williams 17U last summer on the EYBL circuit. I wouldn't look too much in to his offer sheet or ratings. Not many kids were evaluated during the pandemic.

6'9 215 and can play the 3 or 4... Watch his film. He's really skilled and shoots well for his size. 

For sure. Size and skill is intriguing. I don’t really pay attention to rankings or stars or any of that stuff. I do always look at who else is recruiting them. Generally gives you a good idea about what type of player they currently are. 

  • Author
3 hours ago, HoopJunkie said:

For sure. Size and skill is intriguing. I don’t really pay attention to rankings or stars or any of that stuff. I do always look at who else is recruiting them. Generally gives you a good idea about what type of player they currently are. 

Fair... But not always a good indicator of their talent level. Especially if they haven't had the exposure to be properly evaluated. 

Jeremiah Davenport basically had the same interest level as Spell coming out of Hargrave with UC and Virginia Tech also being his two biggest offers. He turned out ok for UC.  

  • Author

Justin Williams of The Athletic released another article today interviewing David DeJulius about this past week and his point of view on everything that has happened.

Key takeaways:

- DeJulius stated that he has complete trust in this coaching staff and feels things could have been worked out if given more time. Said multiple times how much the staff helped him both on and off the court with any issues he had and that's why he's still at UC

- Covid keeping the players from truly feeling the Cincinnati love and experience with fans probably played a role in the quick transfer decisions. Relationships weren't able to be formed because of protocols and lack of time together off the court

-  DeJulius stated Brannen cut the practices in half and intensity level went down to try to accommodate players requests and meet their needs to keep them fresh after the players only meeting ... This was definitely a different view from the other article and big difference in how a guy with college experience and a first year guy view every day routine

- Coaching staff has been texting and checking in on remaining players daily and making sure everything is ok with them. DeJulius, Davenport, Adams-Woods, and Lahkin are all locked in with this staff and ready to move forward and get back to work 

The article definitely had a much different vibe than the first one. DeJulius was able to see it from both sides and put in perspective that neither party was perfect with how things unfolded. 

Sounds like AD Cunningham is currently meeting with the players individually and there may be a meeting with Brannen to discuss things after all info has been gathered.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.