March 17, 20215 yr 35 minutes ago, TheDeuce said: Who said it was only for Power 5 conferences? I believe the thinking is that, without the automatic qualifiers for the mid-majors, the selection process (either human or computer) would favor only the big boys. They would get in based more on what conference they're in, rather than what they actually did on the court.
March 17, 20215 yr 2 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said: I believe the thinking is that, without the automatic qualifiers for the mid-majors, the selection process (either human or computer) would favor only the big boys. They would get in based more on what conference they're in, rather than what they actually did on the court. I guess it depends on what the tournament is supposed to be to an individual. For some, it's supposed to be the best teams, for others it's supposed to be an everyone gets a shot regardless of what they do in the regular season.
March 17, 20215 yr 42 minutes ago, TheDeuce said: I guess it depends on what the tournament is supposed to be to an individual. For some, it's supposed to be the best teams, for others it's supposed to be an everyone gets a shot regardless of what they do in the regular season. Morehead St is the perfect example, they won 19 out of 20 games to end the season, if they hadn’t won the OVC tourney, would they be in the field of 68?
March 17, 20215 yr 45 minutes ago, TheDeuce said: I guess it depends on what the tournament is supposed to be to an individual. For some, it's supposed to be the best teams, for others it's supposed to be an everyone gets a shot regardless of what they do in the regular season. I think you make extremely valid points that are very understandable. That said, I like the setup now, simply for the surprises and Cinderella runs. But I readily acknowledge that it doesn't make much sense.
March 17, 20215 yr 1 minute ago, nikeman49 said: Morehead St is the perfect example, they won 19 out of 20 games to end the season, if they hadn’t won the OVC tourney, would they be in the field of 68? 47 minutes ago, TheDeuce said: I guess it depends on what the tournament is supposed to be to an individual. For some, it's supposed to be the best teams, for others it's supposed to be an everyone gets a shot regardless of what they do in the regular season. Hey if it was using the computer rankings only for the 68 best teams. According to the NET rankings, UK would be in this tournament! ?
March 17, 20215 yr 14 minutes ago, nikeman49 said: Morehead St is the perfect example, they won 19 out of 20 games to end the season, if they hadn’t won the OVC tourney, would they be in the field of 68? Are they in the top 68 of the RPI (as an example)? If so, yes.
March 17, 20215 yr 13 minutes ago, Randy Parker said: I think you make extremely valid points that are very understandable. That said, I like the setup now, simply for the surprises and Cinderella runs. But I readily acknowledge that it doesn't make much sense. I understand the Cinderella appeal, but it just doesn't do much for me. We still have plenty of exciting games and upsets without having to let team number 103 into the tournament because they won their conference.
March 17, 20215 yr I absolutely want the conference tournament champions in the tournament. One of the beauties of the NCAA tournament is every team in the nation has a chance to win the national championship because of the conference tournaments. For the rest of the field I am all for using computer systems to drive the process and remove as much human bias as possible.
March 17, 20215 yr 1 hour ago, TheDeuce said: I guess it depends on what the tournament is supposed to be to an individual. For some, it's supposed to be the best teams, for others it's supposed to be an everyone gets a shot regardless of what they do in the regular season. For me, it should be an invitational tournament from across college basketball. There's 350 Div I teams, in 32 different conferences. There's 0% chance you can even play a representative from each conference, even if you wanted to. This is a way to settle it on the court. No polls...no computers...on the court. The excitement of the Cinderellas comes from these mid-majors showing what they could do against the "big boys". There's just not that same excitement when the #9 team from the SEC beats the #1 ACC team. It also means that for every one of those 350 coaches, they can go into living rooms of high school kids, and honestly say that they could play in the big dance. So, everyone has a chance for national exposure. And that's good for the game.
March 17, 20215 yr 2 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said: It also means that for every one of those 350 coaches, they can go into living rooms of high school kids, and honestly say that they could play in the big dance. So, everyone has a chance for national exposure. And that's good for the game. That can still happen in a computer ranking scenario. If we include auto qualifiers that's one way, and the other is for schools to schedule tougher opponents out of conference.
March 17, 20215 yr 1 minute ago, TheDeuce said: That can still happen in a computer ranking scenario. If we include auto qualifiers that's one way, and the other is for schools to schedule tougher opponents out of conference. Sounds good on paper, but won't happen. The larger schools will look at it as a lose-lose situation. If you beat them, then you were supposed to. And heaven forbid if you lose to them.
March 20, 20215 yr Looks like the mid majors have opened a few eyes in the tourney today without the help of a computer.
March 21, 20215 yr 13 minutes ago, bugatti said: Most ever double digit seeds in the round of 32, four teams seeded 13 or higher.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.