Male - 2021 Schedule

2 hours ago, theguru said:

What do we know about John Curtis (LA)?

They were 6-5 this season with a young offense. The QB is not very big but he's elusive. Buddy Taylor - he accounted for a good portion of their offense as a junior.

A couple of other good offensive weapons back.

But defense they lost nine of their 10 top tacklers. Still this is a bunch that always is solid and will have a very good team. Should be fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, EastSideJunkie said:

They were 6-5 this season with a young offense. The QB is not very big but he's elusive. Buddy Taylor - he accounted for a good portion of their offense as a junior.

A couple of other good offensive weapons back.

But defense they lost nine of their 10 top tacklers. Still this is a bunch that always is solid and will have a very good team. Should be fun!

Thanks Junkie and I LOVE this game for Male!

It seems like a good pickup for Male.  I love it when the KY teams go out-of-state to play other solid programs, but I'm always curious how games like this come about.  Why John Curtis from all the way down in LA?  Why not go closer and try to play a good team out of Cincy or Indy?  I have to think there is some sort of connection or reasoning for picking up this team.

I see this as a tremendous challenge for Male and a win-win situation. Can't get picky with the long bus ride. Likely that most teams have made their schedules for the year by now.

If they can go all the way down to Louisiana and beat a perennial power on their homefield, it speaks volumes. If they lose, it's something to build off of heading into district play and the Old Rivalry. 

I've always been a big fan of creating adversity through your schedule to get ready for a playoff run. Male certainly has done so in 2021. 

Scrimmages with Highlands and BG will show them what they have and where they need to improve. Then @St. X, Trinity, @Manual, and two out-of-state teams? Show me a team in Kentucky with a tougher slate of opponents. Love this schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 10:37 PM, Unrivaled97 said:

Talked to a friend of mine familiar with LA sports in general.  He said John Curtis is out of the 9th ward & a “football factory”.  Sounds like this will be a challenging game for Male, but still curious how this game came about.

Male's basketball team played in a Sugar Bowl co-sponsored tournament last January. There might have been some connections made in the hospitality rooms amongst the powers that be in NOLA.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Interesting move for Coach Dawson. He's a Trinity graduate, he's been on-staff at Trinity for 5 years, AND he was the offensive coordinator at Trinity. Obviously a good hire for Male, but I've gotta look at this as a little bit of an unexpected lateral move for Dawson, at best. I'd also suspect there's less money in the OC job at a JCPS school than there is at Trinity. Makes me wonder what his reasoning was.

45 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Interesting move for Coach Dawson. He's a Trinity graduate, he's been on-staff at Trinity for 5 years, AND he was the offensive coordinator at Trinity. Obviously a good hire for Male, but I've gotta look at this as a little bit of an unexpected lateral move for Dawson, at best. I'd also suspect there's less money in the OC job at a JCPS school than there is at Trinity. Makes me wonder what his reasoning was.

Definitely interesting, but good hire though.

10 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Was he in the mix for the head coach job at T? Possibly a case of hurt feelings?

• Like 1