Jeff Shepard and Coach Cal

The Flea Market

Jeff said years ago 2013 that when he played CAL was the enemy. He said stepping in Louisville basketball facility felt more comfortable then Kentucky’s. Pitino versus CAL thing. Reed Shepard won’t play for CAL. If KY gets away from CAL is the only chance that’s going to happen. If you search Sea of Blue they have the comments. Believe Shepard was on KSR too with some awkward moments.

On 1/17/2021 at 3:40 PM, Tomcats1990 said:

Jeff said years ago 2013 that when he played CAL was the enemy. He said stepping in Louisville basketball facility felt more comfortable then Kentucky’s. Pitino versus CAL thing. Reed Shepard won’t play for CAL. If KY gets away from CAL is the only chance that’s going to happen. If you search Sea of Blue they have the comments. Believe Shepard was on KSR too with some awkward moments.

So the question is do some of you all still like Jeff Sheppard then? I mean we all have heard fans say they want players who care more about the name across the chest. Yet it seems like Jeff Sheppard cared more about his former coach, then the Kentucky name across the chest. That would seem to go against what fans say they want, and I guess shouldn’t like Sheppard anymore right? Or is it a pick and choose when fans want to apply that type of thinking to fit a narrative? 

8 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Is his son a good ball player?  Never heard of his son, nor of beef with Calipari.

Sophomore. Averaging about 43 a game. Mom also fine player at UK(Stacy Reed....Laurel Co.)Tubby and Rick P already offered along with others.

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

So the question is do some of you all still like Jeff Sheppard then? I mean we all have heard fans say they want players who care more about the name across the chest. Yet it seems like Jeff Sheppard cared more about his former coach, then the Kentucky name across the chest. That would seem to go against what fans say they want, and I guess shouldn’t like Sheppard anymore right? Or is it a pick and choose when fans want to apply that type of thinking to fit a narrative? 

Now that is an interesting spin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

All Sheppard said was he didn’t want his son playing for Cal, what’s that got to do with respecting what’s written across your chest?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

All Sheppard said was he didn’t want his son playing for Cal, what’s that got to do with respecting what’s written across your chest?

Cal is UKs coach like it or not. Sheppard said he rather step in Louisville arena with his former coach Pitino, which felt more comfortable to him than at UK. Sure seems like he was choosing and liking his former coach more, than what he use to wear across his chest. But as expected, for some of you all. That only matters when it fits the narrative you want to tell. Which gets back to even Sheppard cared more about the coach he played for, than the school he went to. If the school he went to mattered more, he wouldn’t have cared about Cal who used to be a rival, now being at UK. 

14 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Cal is UKs coach like it or not. Sheppard said he rather step in Louisville arena with his former coach Pitino, which felt more comfortable to him than at UK. Sure seems like he was choosing and liking his former coach more, than what he use to wear across his chest. But as expected, for some of you all. That only matters when it fits the narrative you want to tell. Which gets back to even Sheppard cared more about the coach he played for, than the school he went to. If the school he went to mattered more, he wouldn’t have cared about Cal who used to be a rival, now being at UK. 

That’s just a personal decision about who he had rather have his son play for, still not sure what you are saying? His choice about which school he likes the best. Maybe you are reading a little too much into this.

I wonder how Sheppard feels about Louisville after what happened with Pitino there. I never listen to KSR so I will need someone to fill in the blanks. Has Sheppard said specifically he doesn't like Cal and his son won't play for him? I don't see anything in this thread about that other than a quote from 2013. Which I can understand Sheppard having loyalty to Coach Pitino and making that comment in 2013 about Louisville when Pitino was having success there. He isn't alone in that. A lot of UK fans still really liked Pitino even when he was coaching at UL.

• Like 1

It's not that surprising that Shepard would say that.  He grew up in Georgia.  I'm sure he doesn't have the same affinity for UK that folks born and raised here have.  Like many former players, they would do anything for their coach and that's where their loyalty lies.  Based on the way that some of the top kids in KY have been treated (or looked over) by Cal , it's not surprising at all that he doesn't want his kid to play for him.  Tom Izzo, Jay Wright, Bill Self just to name a few are all coaches I would rather see coach my son than Cal.  

• Like 2