Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jeff Shepard and Coach Cal

Featured Replies

2 hours ago, nikeman49 said:

That’s just a personal decision about who he had rather have his son play for, still not sure what you are saying? His choice about which school he likes the best. Maybe you are reading a little too much into this.

I’m not talking about his son. I’m talking about Sheppard himself. When he said he felt more comfortable stepping into Louisville arena with Pitino, than at UK Cal. Since Cal was the enemy when he played. Which based off what people say about how players should care more about the name across the chest than anything else. Then Cal being at UK, should not make him the enemy anymore. If the name across the chest just meant more. However, he said he liked being at Louisville better since Pitino was.  Sure seems like he cared more about the coach, than he did UK itself. 
 

I personally have no problem with him saying that. Because mostly all players go to a school for the coach than the school. However, I’m just pointing out how former beloved UK player Sheppard himself, also seemed to care more about the coach than the school. Which goes against the whole thing of people saying they want players who care more about the name across the chest, than anything else. 

  • Replies 44
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Official. Sheppard to UK. Also official: internet conjecture that knows nothing about a situation strikes again.

  • His son is a sophomore at North Laurel HS, currently averaging 40+ PPG.

  • All Sheppard said was he didn’t want his son playing for Cal, what’s that got to do with respecting what’s written across your chest?

Posted Images

Things will start to heat up the next year or longer.

A3882DF8-9F0F-4CBF-9F5E-FC096D5D58C9.jpeg

On 1/18/2021 at 8:42 PM, catholicdude said:

It's not that surprising that Shepard would say that.  He grew up in Georgia.  I'm sure he doesn't have the same affinity for UK that folks born and raised here have.  Like many former players, they would do anything for their coach and that's where their loyalty lies.  Based on the way that some of the top kids in KY have been treated (or looked over) by Cal , it's not surprising at all that he doesn't want his kid to play for him.  Tom Izzo, Jay Wright, Bill Self just to name a few are all coaches I would rather see coach my son than Cal.  

Shepard wrote a paper as an elementary student that his favorite player was Rex Chapman and his dream was to play basketball at the University of Kentucky. He married a Kentucky girl and chose to live in Laurel County after playing. I’d say his affinity is extremely strong.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:07 PM, futurecoach said:

I’m not talking about his son. I’m talking about Sheppard himself. When he said he felt more comfortable stepping into Louisville arena with Pitino, than at UK Cal. Since Cal was the enemy when he played. Which based off what people say about how players should care more about the name across the chest than anything else. Then Cal being at UK, should not make him the enemy anymore. If the name across the chest just meant more. However, he said he liked being at Louisville better since Pitino was.  Sure seems like he cared more about the coach, than he did UK itself. 
 

I personally have no problem with him saying that. Because mostly all players go to a school for the coach than the school. However, I’m just pointing out how former beloved UK player Sheppard himself, also seemed to care more about the coach than the school. Which goes against the whole thing of people saying they want players who care more about the name across the chest, than anything else. 

Ok, how about this example.  A kid plays at a school where his father is the head coach, who do you think he would have the most respect toward, the school or coach?

13 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

Ok, how about this example.  A kid plays at a school where his father is the head coach, who do you think he would have the most respect toward, the school or coach?

You may want to read the other post in this thread, to understand where I was going with this and who I was replying too.  Which my replies had more to do with previous comments from the people I quoted. 

10 hours ago, futurecoach said:

You may want to read the other post in this thread, to understand where I was going with this and who I was replying too.  Which my replies had more to do with previous comments from the people I quoted. 

I have read the post before and after.  I'm totally confused on your stance.

15 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

I have read the post before and after.  I'm totally confused on your stance.

As I stated my reasoning for the post had more to do with previous comments from a select few. Previous comments that go along with many other UK threads. Which the people who have been on here for those discussion, especially at that time back in January when this was created, knew where I was going with it lol. 
 

Which for the record though, I have always said players care more about the coach than they do a school. They come to the school for the coach, not the name. 

  • Author

He may end up like KyKy Tandy? Will not go to UK to sit on the bench. If he thinks he can play there he will go, if not look for him to land in a place that offers PT. I would not go to UK to just have the best seat in the house to want a game and hear all of the talk on sports radio on why the kid is not playing over 5 star Joe.

On 4/25/2021 at 11:38 PM, futurecoach said:

I have always said players care more about the coach than they do a school. They come to the school for the coach, not the name. 

Patrick Patterson is probably the last great prospect to come to Kentucky because of Kentucky and not the coach.  Maybe there are others I'm missing, but that's the last one I remember.  And even with Pat, it had more to do with Lexington being close enough for his parents to come see him.

On 1/17/2021 at 3:13 PM, The Flea Market said:

I have read on several sites that there are some issues between these two? Does anyone know what their problem is. Hope it will not stop a great kid playing for the Cats!!!’

Cal and UK have officially offered Reed Sheppard a scholarship. So no need to be worried, if he wants to be at UK he will be. 

11 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Cal and UK have officially offered Reed Sheppard a scholarship. So no need to be worried, if he wants to be at UK he will be. 

 

04147841-0161-4E7C-826A-1F643BD73E3A.jpeg

14 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Cal and UK have officially offered Reed Sheppard a scholarship. So no need to be worried, if he wants to be at UK he will be. 

Cal had no choice but to offer after Louisville did.

46 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Cal had no choice but to offer after Louisville did.

I read that this weekend was the first time UK had seen him in person. That sounds odd but then you remember there was no summer season last year, high school games weren’t open to the public until late, and Calipari has often been slow to offer kids this early.

12 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Cal had no choice but to offer after Louisville did.

No doubt that helps. Also helps that Sheppard went off in the first game Cal and the whole staff seen him play in person. That just completely sealed the deal at that point. 

On 7/10/2021 at 12:36 PM, TheDeuce said:

Cal had no choice but to offer after Louisville did.

Yes, you are correct.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.