Trinity press conference this Thursday - Coach Beatty is retiring.

theguru

39 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

LeFors doesn't move the needle for me. As with any "local" guy, would he be a candidate if he didn't have local ties?

Same. I think he would actually take the Rocks backwards. They need another homerun hire. Someone youthful, with longevity. Someone that wants to be there for a long time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

I was in 8th grade when Beatty was hired at Trinity, was his hire seen as a "homerun" hire? 

As an outsider looking in Coach Beatty had great credentials and it appeared like a stand up double at worst. 

10 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

I was in 8th grade when Beatty was hired at Trinity, was his hire seen as a "homerun" hire? 

Here's the first mention of him from any Kentucky newspapers. The CJ in late-April of 2000. They certainly didn't appear to see his hire as a bad one. And judging from Lampley's "I don't think I could be any happier" remark in the article, they were certainly very positive about the hire within the Trinity camp.

Lol, I would assume they have been satisfied with his performance while he's had the job.

The_Courier_Journal_Fri__Apr_28__2000_.thumb.jpg.715c668d5d0e27700f014ff2bcc5a088.jpg

973061943_The_Courier_Journal_Fri__Apr_28__2000_(1).thumb.jpg.26ffa58b466d4aed65ea4fdafe300301.jpg

• Like 2

This is the next notable article from the Courier Journal about Beatty. Came in July 2000 after 'ol Bob White had gotten to know Beatty a little bit once summer practice was under way.

I don't see this CJ article or the previous one as necessarily acknowledging the hire as a "homerun," but I would say they certainly seem to think it was a good hire for Trinity.

The_Courier_Journal_Tue__Jul_25__2000_.thumb.jpg.aa539321b1ff0fde1592a5ce12294d44.jpg

122572377_The_Courier_Journal_Tue__Jul_25__2000_(1).thumb.jpg.586cacfa3de45fde776cb1e4644f2d98.jpg

I didn't pay any attention at the time, but now looking back I think hiring Coach Servino was a really shrewd move for a new coach from another state/region to make.  By hiring Coach Servino he not only had a valued/needed DLine Coach, but someone who intimately knew the Trinity system/administration/fan base/etc right out of the gate as a resource in the locker room.  He would have likely been fine without that, but proves from an early stage that Coach Beatty was very cerebral about making key decisions that would pay multiple benefits down the road.  Good luck to him in retirement!

I hope Trinity keeps playing the more national schedule.  Going to those games are really fun and keeps/puts T on the national map.

Just now, TheDeuce said:

"44 applicants from Alaska to Florida." 

I expect the same this time around. 

One small thing to consider about the Beatty hire...this was Trinity's second shot at hiring a head coach in twelve months. At this point, they certainly have the benefit of program success to earn them some of the better applicants from around the country, but I also think, in the case of the Beatty hire, they probably benefitted from having just gone through that entire hiring process a year earlier. Usually I don't think I would see it as much of an advantage for a program to have to hire a coach two years in a row, but in that specific case with that specific program, I think it was.

They had hired Kevin Wright away from Noblesville (IN) the year before. Wright improved on Trinity's 9-5 record in the '98 season by going 11-2 in '99 and only losing to St. X, locally. Then Wright headed back to Indiana, taking the Warren Central job after some family members back home started facing health issues. He won three state championships with Warren Central in 2003, 2004, and 2005. Then he went to Union High School in Oklahoma and was forced out after one year and a 7-4 record. Then he spent '07-'09 as offensive coordinator at WKU, followed by 5 years, 3 state title game appearances and 1 state championship at Carmel High School in Indiana...then he headed to IMG Academy, where he was head coach from 2015-2019. He spent last year as the tight ends coach at Indiana University.

Ha....gotta wonder if Trinity doesn't reach back out to Coach Wright. For all of that experience, I believe he's only in his mid-50s.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Ha....gotta wonder if Trinity doesn't reach back out to Coach Wright. For all of that experience, I believe he's only in his mid-50s.

I would imagine they would ideally be looking for someone younger than that.