Trinity 28 Male 0 (Class 6A State Championship)

theguru

1 hour ago, NLTanker1 said:

Hard to believe Male was the only team to not score this weekend.

Male was averaging somewhere around 45 ppg coming in, I believe.

The average score of T's last 3  playoff games (Dixie Heights , St. X and Male) was 38.3 - 0. T was strong  at all 3 levels and were deep, for instance, they lost to injury arguably their best defensive player, Charlie Ely,  5-6 weeks ago and just kept on trucking.   Have to relish this season.  Next year will be different, of course,.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LongTimeReader said:

In the Beatty Era, where does this team rank? How do they compare to the 2011 team? 

Just off the top of my head, I'd say 2011 was better.   This year's team did not have the explosive offense that team had, or the individual talent,  but had a  better defense.   It's hard to evaluate all the teams Beatty has had.   One that stands out though was circa 2002.   They had a good defense.   I think they beat Male about 45-17 in the championship at Papa John's (could be wrong).    One constant about Beaty's teams IMO is the QB play....seems T always has a decent QB.   I know Oscar Brohm volunteers to coach the QBs.   Maybe this is part of the reason.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

In the Beatty Era, where does this team rank? How do they compare to the 2011 team? 

I think the 2020 defense was better, but the 2011 team was better from top to bottom. Way better. The defense was almost as good as the one from this year, and the offense was way more explosive in 2011. 

• Like 1

From Jason Frakes: 

Final tally on Trinity's defense:

Allowed 4.8 points per game (#1 in the state)
Posted 41 1/2 sacks (#1 in the state)
Allowed 26 total rushing yards all season (#1 in the state)
Allowed 4 TDs (all pass plays of 22 yards or longer)

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2020 at 9:53 AM, LongTimeReader said:

The 2011 team was a better overall team because they were so good on offense. Those guys had James Quick and Daylen Dawkins (who played in the NFL a little spell) and Travis Wright was close to a national record for completion percentage. Plus, if I recall they had 12 guys with 200 or more all-purpose yards on the season.

The defense this year is better - no question. But overall the '11 team is better.

• Like 1