Bowling Green 17 Owensboro 7 (Class 5A State Championship)

theguru

This one was all Purples all the time!  Owensboro did add a late touchdown but it was a non-factor and the game was already decided. Bowling Green dominated Owensboro to win their 7th State Championship. 

Congrats Bowling Green!  Congrats Coach Spader!

• Like 1

How about those Purples!

From not knowing if we would get to play the season, to Louisville to get battle tested and then learning a lot from the first South Warren game,  They really came together after the Trinity game and started to roll.

Playing great teams like South Warren again and then the rematch with CovCath prepared BG for this game.  May not have been pretty but I think the best team won.

Just really happy for my Purples!!!

Congrats Owensboro on a great year!

• Like 4

Class 5A was a swirling kaleidoscope of orange, green, red, black, blue, silver, purple, and gold this season. Several teams had moments that made you think the championship pursuit was wide open. Ultimately, purple and gold emerged as 5A's primary colors of 2020 behind a suffocating defense.

Congratulations to Bowling Green and its loyal, passionate fan base here at BGP. This has to feel good for Coach Mark Spader. He may have believed he could maintain the championship standard at BG post Kevin Wallace, but now he knows it.

• Like 2

Great Game! Hats off to the purples! There was a bunch of talk about schedule strength being the difference between these 2 teams and that showed today. BG seemed so poised throughout the whole game. They have been in tough games all season and that’s why they were so well prepared. The Purples Defense was the truth! Purples are well coached and well disciplined team and deserved to be the champs. Burwash, was a beast as advertised as well as Dingle but what impressed me the most is how they move as a unit, every player on that defense could be considered a stand out/play maker... That being said I feel like O showed they belonged in the class 5A state championship also they were in this game per stats, they  just couldn’t settle in on Offense and catch well thrown passes and find the end zone once in the Red Zone. I won’t beat my Devils up though, they had one heck of a season absolutely nothing to hang there heads about. Great job to all seniors!! Be on the lookout 👀 2021 although the Red Devils lose some key players they also return a lot with a good underclass stepping in those key positions.

• Like 6

Game stats:

BG 17 points

83 passing yards

116 yards rushing 

199 total yards

1st downs 10

Redzone 3-3

2 sacks, 5 TFL and 2 picks

Owensboro 7 points

279 passing yards

20 rushing yards

299 total yards

1st downs 20

Redzone 1-2

1 sack, 2 TFL

• Thanks 1

Welp it's a little different than playing Ohio County and Breckenridge County isn't it?

I don't know though, maybe BG should have to play Daviess County to find out who the real state champion is, apparently they have the studs...🙄

Congratulations to the Purples on a great season, a great run through an extremely difficult postseason schedule. 

Thought the offense was going to cost BG this game, but thankfully the BG defense completely shutdown Owensboro throughout the whole game. And the Red Devil's just never stop a chance. 

Just a fantastic year for Bowling Green and with no COVID cancelations by BG.

KHSAA deserves a lot of credit along with the schools, coaches, players and parents for getting the entire season and post season in during this mess.

GO PURPLES!!

• Like 3

Congrats Purples - great defense and Offense managed the game.

Owensboro

I was very pleased with the defensive effort tonight.  17 points with 3 short fields, they did great.  I was very pleased with the Devils O-line.  They did a very good job and gave Wimsatt time to throw on most plays.  I was not pleased with QB draws about 10 times and running east west plays against that defense (BG too athletic for that).  If you told me before the game that BG would get 17 and Wimsatt would have time most plays, I would’ve thought an Owensboro win.  I was wrong.

‘Bowling Green

DEFENSE, field position.  While the first short field was on Owensboro, the other 2 were due to Burwash punting and the defense.  I worried more about the athletic front but what held O in check more than anything, IMHO was the linebackers and the secondary.  Secondary was PHENOMENAL.  Yes Wimsatt was errant on some throws (which was forced a lot by secondary), most of the time our WRs had hardly any separation.  That is phenomenal.

All I can say is congrats purples - the better team won.

• Like 3

They said Conner Cooper (BG QB) has played with a broken left wrist since the 2nd game of the season. Happened during the PRP game. Scheduled for major surgery at Vandy on Tuesday. Absolutely insane to think about what that kid has done with this team and has kept that under lock and key.  It does answer some questions about why he tries to go to the right side more often. I’m actually blown away at that information.  I have to say I’m impressed from the QB standpoint especially!!  Wishing him a great, speedy recovery! 

• Like 6

Just now, Purplepride said:

They said Conner Cooper (BG QB) has played with a broken left wrist since the 2nd game of the season. Happened during the PRP game. Scheduled for major surgery at Vandy on Tuesday. Absolutely insane to think about what that kid has done with this team and has kept that under lock and key.  It does answer some questions about why he tries to go to the right side more often. I’m actually blown away at that information.  I have to say I’m impressed from the QB standpoint especially!!  Wishing him a great, speedy recovery! 

I was very impressed with Conner Cooper.

I also wish him a speedy recovery!

• Like 3