Bowling Green 17 Owensboro 7 (Class 5A State Championship)

theguru

29 minutes ago, PhenomxX said:

Reunited and it feels so good... congrats to all coaches and players. Good thing about this team is that most of them will be back! 😏

They actually lose 9 starters on offense, and I think 5 on defense. I’m pretty sure they lost 8 or 9 from their defense last year and they reloaded the defense pretty well. So they may be able to do the same thing on offense next year, but it will be tough losing so many key players. The thing is that those guys up front on defense all come back, and they can win you some games all by themselves.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Koolbreeze81 said:

They actually lose 9 starters on offense, and I think 5 on defense. I’m pretty sure they lost 8 or 9 from their defense last year and they reloaded the defense pretty well. So they may be able to do the same thing on offense next year, but it will be tough losing so many key players. The thing is that those guys up front on defense all come back, and they can win you some games all by themselves.

Sorry I meant defense. We’ve got guys there can step into new roles on offense! This situation reminds me of the 2011 to 2012 transition.

1 hour ago, PhenomxX said:

Sorry I meant defense. We’ve got guys there can step into new roles on offense! This situation reminds me of the 2011 to 2012 transition.

Respectfully, I think that will be a tough one to compare. That year they replaced 20/22 starters after their 2011 title run.  

The bigger point remains is that BG consistently reloads. 
It’s impressive the amount of turnover they have on a yearly basis and somehow display the same product on the field most years.  

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, BillNye said:

Respectfully, I think that will be a tough one to compare. That year they replaced 20/22 starters after their 2011 title run.  

The bigger point remains is that BG consistently reloads. 
It’s impressive the amount of turnover they have on a yearly basis and somehow display the same product on the field most years.  

True, I was on that team and it took the seniors that paved the way for us during those earlier years. They led on and off the field. With that said, I think this team reminds me of those title teams.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Purplepride said:

They said Conner Cooper (BG QB) has played with a broken left wrist since the 2nd game of the season. Happened during the PRP game. Scheduled for major surgery at Vandy on Tuesday. Absolutely insane to think about what that kid has done with this team and has kept that under lock and key.  It does answer some questions about why he tries to go to the right side more often. I’m actually blown away at that information.  I have to say I’m impressed from the QB standpoint especially!!  Wishing him a great, speedy recovery! 

Wow! Well, he’ll be one beneficiary of the basketball delay. Should have plenty of time to get back in for their potential title run. 

• Like 4

Sorry to thread-jack just a bit, but I know at least 4 future Purples are on the Team KY 8th Grade Team that advanced to the FBU National Championship game tomorrow night!!!  Many other future Friday Night Lights guys on display for Team KY also!!!  

The 6th and 7th grade Team KY were both knocked out in very close games in the semi-finals in Naples, Florida.  The 8th Grade team with future FC star Kalen Washington and Bowling Green star Deuce Bailey (any many others around the state - I just don't have the roster) will play in the National Championship game tomorrow night at 7:30 at the brand new 10 Million Dollar Paradise Coast Sports Complex in Naples, Florida.

A one-hour "what this tournament is all about" video (basically they said they wanted to create something similar to the Little League World Series for football - pretty cool) is here:

A link to where you can watch the game is here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/FBUNC?sub_confirmation=1

I just wanted you guys to know about this!

Many future stars on Friday Night Lights are playing here and representing Kentucky in great form!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Purple88 said:

Sorry to thread-jack just a bit, but I know at least 4 future Purples are on the Team KY 8th Grade Team that advanced to the FBU National Championship game tomorrow night!!!  Many other future Friday Night Lights guys on display for Team KY also!!!  

The 6th and 7th grade Team KY were both knocked out in very close games in the semi-finals in Naples, Florida.  The 8th Grade team with future FC star Kalen Washington and Bowling Green star Deuce Bailey (any many others around the state - I just don't have the roster) will play in the National Championship game tomorrow night at 7:30 at the brand new 10 Million Dollar Paradise Coast Sports Complex in Naples, Florida.

A one-hour "what this tournament is all about" video (basically they said they wanted to create something similar to the Little League World Series for football - pretty cool) is here:

A link to where you can watch the game is here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/FBUNC?sub_confirmation=1

I just wanted you guys to know about this!

Many future stars on Friday Night Lights are playing here and representing Kentucky in great form!!!

I had the pleasure to play on Team KY during my 7th grade year, it was loads of fun and I made friends there that I’ve been friends with since then.  We got to play Team Tennessee in the first round and lost, I believe they went on to play in the Alamo Dome and come 2nd in the nation.  It’s an awesome opportunity, and there have been some amazing players to come through the system.  Thanks for letting us know!  I know the middle school purples were runner ups in the 8th grade Div 1 this year, they have some great talent.  I believe the last team to make it to the state championship their 8th grade year was the 2017 class, correct me if I’m wrong.

• Like 1

Its been a busy couple of days but I definitely wanted to check in and say Congrats to Bowling Green.  Rock solid program from top to bottom!  I thought they handled their business in a very impressive way on Saturday and did it with sportsmanship through the entire ball game.  I saw lots of kids helping kids up and at the end of the game, they showed a ton of class in victory.  Coach Spader obviously does a tremendous job with this group.  Everyone knew and executed their assignments to a T.

I hope people aren't to rough on Gavin.  I know he didn't have his best day.  I am confident he will improve from it and come back even better in 2021.  Owensboro fought and have nothing to hang their head about.  I don't have any doubt they will have another deep run in them next season.

Thanks to everyone who made Championship week so much fun.  Time to put the finishing touches on this basketball preview!  Everyone have a Merry Christmas!

• Like 2

On 12/21/2020 at 8:18 AM, Volxtile said:

I had the pleasure to play on Team KY during my 7th grade year, it was loads of fun and I made friends there that I’ve been friends with since then.  We got to play Team Tennessee in the first round and lost, I believe they went on to play in the Alamo Dome and come 2nd in the nation.  It’s an awesome opportunity, and there have been some amazing players to come through the system.  Thanks for letting us know!  I know the middle school purples were runner ups in the 8th grade Div 1 this year, they have some great talent.  I believe the last team to make it to the state championship their 8th grade year was the 2017 class, correct me if I’m wrong.

The 2020 class played in the 8th grade championship game. Lost 38-36 to Johnson central.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1