Bowling Green vs. Owensboro Predictions/Updates (5A State Championship)

Purple88

Who Wins this game?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this game?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/19/2020 at 05:00 PM

36 minutes ago, Brown said:

The series is close to even but BG has dominated it in the last 20 years:

2000 Owensboro 16-7

2000 Owensboro 28-0 

2001 to 2006 NO GAMES

2007 Bowling Green 35-13

2008 Owensboro 28-21

2009 Bowling Green 26-21

2009 Bowling Green 25-21

2010 Bowling Green 44-20

2011 Bowling Green 62-0

2012 Bowling Green 31-3

2013 Bowling Green 41-7

2014 Bowling Green 42-34

2015 Bowling Green 17-14

2015 Bowling Green 41-12

2016 Bowling Green 47-0

2016 Bowling Green 50-21

2017 Bowling Green 48-21

2017 Bowling Green 48-14

2018 Bowling Green 21-12

2018 Owensboro 28-21

I love the stats of this great series!  What my man @Brown provided is spot on!

To be fair however, Owensboro won 15 in a row (including a tie in 1964 7-7 at Western Stadium on Homecoming) from 1956 to 1971.  That is also quite a run!

As I said in the first post, BG is 40-39-2 vs the Red Devils, so if you take that more recent 14-1 out, it's Owensboro 38-26-2.  Not too good for the Purples.  I put this here mostly to say that's what these 2 teams do.  They battle, they come back and battle some more.  And is why it's so important IMO that they keep playing each other even if it's only on the lower levels.

I think I'm correct in saying this, that this season Owensboro has lost 1 game from the varsity level all the way down to 7th grade.  They lost to BGs 8th grade squad at BG.  That's it!  They did not play BG in Frosh ball but beat BG in JV and 7th grade.  What that says to me is these are pretty even teams and more so, worthy competitors that appreciate each other and push each other for the better!  

I look for this game to be a very competitive game!  Go Purples!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brown said:

Looking back the 2000 Owensboro team was led by Justin Miller a junior standout and Bo Smith a junior standout.  Smith and Miller were both terrific in the 100 meters (2 of the fastest kids I can remember at OHS).  They won the 4x100 that year at state.  Smith played at UK and Miller went to Clemson and started as a freshman at corner back then to the NFL to be All-pro kick returner.  The 2008 team that won was led by Prince at QB and I believe Shemwell at RB (Owensboro adopted more of a spread offense - really a zone read for Prince & Shemwell).  They were also very close in 2009.

the 2014 game was painful...Owensboro had a big lead, then the purples came back to take the lead in the 2nd half behind Carothers - that game was tight.  Owensboro finished state runner up to Highlands that year (in another blown lead game - dangit!)

In 2018, Owensboro adopted the spread with Will Warren at QB and split with the purples (Owensboro had a great set of WR’s - Including Owsley, Hayden and Tinsley who is the star WR now, he had 10 TD’s in 2018 too)

I said all that to say, for Owensboro to win or be very competitive in this series it has taken an outstanding devils team and players.  BG has been a machine.

Here’s a couple of pictures from the 2016 games, taken by the late, great, Paul Gray.  I specifically remember 2014 at Rash being one of the most exciting games I’ve gotten to watch.  The 2015 playoff game was also surprisingly close despite the score, BG’s defense had multiple stops in their own red zone and turned Owensboro over a few times to allow BG to blow open the game. When these two are at full strength, the games never seem to disappoint.

1700CEC3-67FC-4670-AA6A-FE4AEDAF8C9E.jpeg

AB415178-79D4-4D1E-A2E7-D40C404C71D5.jpeg

• Like 3

I'll preface this by admitting I've only seen hudle highlights of Owensboro but have seen every snap of BG this year. I can understand the Covington Catholic's remarks about BG's offense not being very good. If that was the only game I had seen of BG I would 100% agree. In my opinion it was the worse their offense has looked all year with the exception of the 1st South Warren game. And I think if they come out and throw for 58 yards on 6 completed passes with only 2 receivers targeted the whole game, BG will not score enough to beat Owensboro. But, I do not think there is anyway that will happen 2 games in a row. BG's offense has been on a role since Mccracken Co game 4 and the CC game was just a road bump. I think after a while it was evident that BG could play CC all night and CC wasn't going to score so they settled on bringing in 2 and 3 tightend packages and just running the ball and playing it safe. But, Cooper did go back to some old habits against CC and he did tuck it and run it very early in plays and he needs to get that fixed this week. If he spreads it out and uses all his weapons, from what I've seen, BG should be able to score quite a bit. Defensively this game will be BG's biggest test. Wimsett is the best qb they've seen. He throws darts, and throws it on time. Tinsley and Avery can catch those balls that were bouncing off shoulder pads of the CC receivers so there won't be 5 interceptions. If BG can keep Wimsett contained and put pressure on him with the front 4 I think they will hold them to 2 TD's. The BG vs Owensboro rivalry is real and makes for an exciting heated game. Best game in Lexington and I think BG wins 28-14. 

7 hours ago, TnT91 said:

I'll preface this by admitting I've only seen hudle highlights of Owensboro but have seen every snap of BG this year. I can understand the Covington Catholic's remarks about BG's offense not being very good. If that was the only game I had seen of BG I would 100% agree. In my opinion it was the worse their offense has looked all year with the exception of the 1st South Warren game. And I think if they come out and throw for 58 yards on 6 completed passes with only 2 receivers targeted the whole game, BG will not score enough to beat Owensboro. But, I do not think there is anyway that will happen 2 games in a row. BG's offense has been on a role since Mccracken Co game 4 and the CC game was just a road bump. I think after a while it was evident that BG could play CC all night and CC wasn't going to score so they settled on bringing in 2 and 3 tightend packages and just running the ball and playing it safe. But, Cooper did go back to some old habits against CC and he did tuck it and run it very early in plays and he needs to get that fixed this week. If he spreads it out and uses all his weapons, from what I've seen, BG should be able to score quite a bit. Defensively this game will be BG's biggest test. Wimsett is the best qb they've seen. He throws darts, and throws it on time. Tinsley and Avery can catch those balls that were bouncing off shoulder pads of the CC receivers so there won't be 5 interceptions. If BG can keep Wimsett contained and put pressure on him with the front 4 I think they will hold them to 2 TD's. The BG vs Owensboro rivalry is real and makes for an exciting heated game. Best game in Lexington and I think BG wins 28-14. 

Completely agree with this statement. I just hope you are right about the offense not doing that two games in a row 😬

• Like 1

There a lot of Junior Madden offensive coordinators on this thread and there have been quite a few posts in the past dogging our OWN offense. I'm sure running four verticals with Dingle is going to put points on the board, along with also running the ball with Bunton while jumping through a  flame hoop with Conner.. Offense just needs to grind and control the line of scrimmage. We have a solid offensive line with veteran leadership (Johnson, Littlefield, France, and Cofer) Austin Anderson is a monster on the edge, and he's only a sophomore. If you watched the Covington game, the offense did well at making Catholic stack the box, and then slip Bunton or Burwash out on a bubble or a screen. We just didn't catch the ball.. and that's fine, I'm sure they will be coached up during the week to be ready for an even better defense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhenomxX said:

There a lot of Junior Madden offensive coordinators on this thread and there have been quite a few posts in the past dogging our OWN offense. I'm sure running four verticals with Dingle is going to put points on the board, along with also running the ball with Bunton while jumping through a  flame hoop with Conner.. Offense just needs to grind and control the line of scrimmage. We have a solid offensive line with veteran leadership (Johnson, Littlefield, France, and Cofer) Austin Anderson is a monster on the edge, and he's only a sophomore. If you watched the Covington game, the offense did well at making Catholic stack the box, and then slip Bunton or Burwash out on a bubble or a screen. We just didn't catch the ball.. and that's fine, I'm sure they will be coached up during the week to be ready for an even better defense. 

There were a lot more issues with the offense Friday then just a few dropped balls. And the offense has struggled on/off all season.  Just depends on the game.

And it's not "dogging" the offense. It's discussing and being honest about the issues and that it needs to be better, more consistent. When BG's offense it gives them a much better chance to win then when it's off. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

There were a lot more issues with the offense Friday then just a few dropped balls. And the offense has struggled on/off all season.  Just depends on the game.

And it's not "dogging" the offense. It's discussing and being honest about the issues and that it needs to be better, more consistent. When BG's offense it gives them a much better chance to win then when it's off. 

I'm just not sure what exactly you're looking for in an offense is what I'm saying. One post I might see that we gotta throw the ball, the next post is that we have to pound with Bunton? I agree with you that when BG is not turning the ball over they are fun to watch. I'm also saying there isn't much credit being given to the competition the Purples are actually facing. This isn't Barren County or anyone else from that old schedule, the competition has increased. So to expect us to beat up teams and score in two plays or less is very unrealistic. I'm very proud of our boys and what they've accomplished on both sides of the ball. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ApolloFan98 said:

We'll hear from Coach Fallin and Coach Spader on today on Live at 5 on 1027 The Game.  You can listen in here: https://www.owensbororadio.com/player/?playerID=606

REALLY looking forward to another chapter in this storied rivalry.  It's going to be a really fun week.

Hey 98, that is 5 central time.  Correct?  Just want to make sure.  

How long is the show?

2 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

How long is the show?

Apologies.  Yes, its 5 central time.  Show is 1 hour everyday.  Lots of Bluegrass preps mentions in there and a very likely Purple88 shoutout. Haha

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ApolloFan98 said:

We'll hear from Coach Fallin and Coach Spader on today on Live at 5 on 1027 The Game.  You can listen in here: https://www.owensbororadio.com/player/?playerID=606

REALLY looking forward to another chapter in this storied rivalry.  It's going to be a really fun week.

3 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

How long is the show?

Please give us a full report guys. 

• Like 1