Bowling Green vs. Owensboro Predictions/Updates (5A State Championship)

Purple88

Who Wins this game?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this game?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/19/2020 at 05:00 PM

2 minutes ago, PhenomxX said:

Yup, sometimes they drop 8 and just bring pressure with their Nose 4 and 5. But the anchor can either drop or be a pure edge rusher. I think they'd be smart with dropping 8 to keep those wide outs contained a bit. But, if Gavin and his oline can resist pressure from Bg's Dline you may see an adjustment to just get after the quarterback. BG also likes to loop and twist their Dline to mess up protection schemes. 

BG cause their D-line is so good has been able to get pressure without rushing a lot of extra people.  And that will be key against Owensboro as well.  

Will they be able to do that against Owensboro O-Line? And can they contain the QB when he takes off?  Two big questions.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Killowatt59 said:

BG cause their D-line is so good has been able to get pressure without rushing a lot of extra people.  And that will be key against Owensboro as well.  

Will they be able to do that against Owensboro O-Line? And can they contain the QB when he takes off?  Two big questions.

Owensboro has a talented interior lineman, Jak (didn't catch his last name) he currently holds an offer from Kentucky... he's only a freshman. I think he's going to have his hands full with Jeremiah Lightfoot and Gurley (when he slides to the 0 technique.) Playing against lines like St. X and Trinity has conditioned us well up front! With that said, Owensboro can attack our aggressiveness with counter gap and counter trey schemes if they decide to run the football. We have guys like Reece Jones who are experienced enough to read his guard/flow and get to the ball, the 4 technique must get to his guard and hold down the B. I'm looking forward to this battle in the trenches!

• Like 4

I feel like this is a really good matchup for Owensboro.  Their offense doesn't really need to run the ball much at all to be successful.  Passing out of the 2 back set with Avery and Carbon out of the backfield is a nice replacement for the running game.  Mix in Gavin taking what the offense gives him in the 5 WR set and the Devils offense is really hard to match up with.  In the 2nd half last week, Owensboro didn't do a great job of countering Douglass's adjustments and it almost cost them.  They stopped taking the underneath stuff and got a little greedy and the offense stalled often.  They will need to be patient with methodical drives against this great Purples defense.  The Owensboro offensive line is massively underrated and I cannot wait to see them against a great defensive line.  I always look for matchups to watch during these types of games and that one will be it for me.  At the end of the day for the Owensboro offense, limiting the turnovers is going to be key.  They have had some this season and of course the Purples D has been historic in that category during the playoffs.  I think the entire game will hinge on how many turnovers Bowling Green can force Owensboro into.  IF Owensboro can keep it to 1 or less, I think they could win this game by a couple of scores.  Obviously, that is a big IF.

Defensively, I don't expect Gough to be in on Dingle.  I would think Gough will draw the QB spy job.  I would think it could be Clark or Goodwin on Dingle.  If you missed it last week, go back and check out Zach Clark vs Crowdus.  Kid was phenomenal. I don't know that he will draw the task, but I am confident he could do the job.  If Owensboro has had a weakness this year, its getting manhandled up against the run.  However, they have done a really good job at limiting the big play (sans Key last week and I'm not sure BG has a Key on the roster).  I like the Owensboro's DB's to be left on islands vs these WR's and for everyone else to crowd the box and try to force Bowling Green into passing situations. I can't wait to see how this one plays out.  I have no doubt that Bowling Green has been battle tested with a tremendous schedule but until otherwise, I have to roll with Gavin Wimsatt.

Owensboro 21

Bowling Green 14

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2020 at 8:06 AM, bluecolonels95 said:

Not so fast. I will take Owensboro because they have a offense unlike CovCath and should put some points on the board. Clearly CCH was not the same team as previous 3 years and I think a lot of people gave them a ton of respect because of what they did the previous 3 years but I knew early on we were not even close the same caliber team on offense so shouldn't be surprised by the shutout victory. But congrats to BG for the win over my Colonels. 

I feel like Owensboro is getting no respect. They just knocked off the other state finalist from a year ago and FD had all that D-1 talent. I think it should be a very exciting game maybe even the best game out of all the 6 state title games. Plus BG has had their fare share of state title. Time for Owensboro to get one.

My goodness. Your Colonels averaged almost 40 points a game in the 8 games played before Bowling Green. Let's not act like the CCH offense was some inept group. Don't let the bitterness of that loss cause you to throw your own team under the bus. The shutout last week was because Bowling Green's defense is that good.

• Like 2

@ApolloFan98  O has given up 2 sacks on the year, 1 to Mr. Weedaman a D1 lineman and the other to Catholic, don’t remember that one.  Freddie got zero.  Millay has several D1 offers at LT and I expect Tre Miller to as well at RT.  Miller is a sophomore but 265 lbs about 6-3.  The challenge is 4 are rushing this week. I love 37 Lightfoot for BG.  Lindsay will have a huge task but he did great facing Freddie and mr. Burton all 2nd half.  I’ll be watching both line battles.

• Like 1

Just throwing out some sizes for those who need them:

Bridger Knee #59 Jr. 6-1 235 (DE)

Jeremiah Lightfoot #37 Jr. 6-4 260 (N/DE)

Brad Gurley #56 Jr. 6-4 240 (N/DE)

Rotational piece: Amario Wilson #88 Jr. 6-5 240 (DE)

Offense:

Austin Anderson #70 So. 6-4 335 T

Christian Johnson #57 Sr. 6-1 305 C

Tyler Littlefield #74 Sr. 6-0 230 T

Jayran France #52 Sr. 6-0 285 G

Ken-Yae Cofer #53 Sr. 6-1 270 G

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brown said:

@ApolloFan98  O has given up 2 sacks on the year, 1 to Mr. Weedaman a D1 lineman and the other to Catholic, don’t remember that one.  Freddie got zero.  Millay has several D1 offers at LT and I expect Tre Miller to as well at RT.  Miller us a sophomore but 265 lbs about 6-3.  The challenge us 4 are rushing this week. I love 37 Lightfoot for BG.  Lindsay will have a huge task but he did great facing Freddie and mr. Burton all 2nd half.  I’ll be watching both line battles.

Red Devils did a great job with all of those studs in Lexington. That Burton kid is a handful!

13 minutes ago, PhenomxX said:

Just throwing out some sizes for those who need them:

Bridger Knee #59 Jr. 6-1 235 (DE)

Jeremiah Lightfoot #37 Jr. 6-4 260 (N/DE)

Brad Gurley #56 Jr. 6-4 240 (N/DE)

Rotational piece: Amario Wilson #88 Jr. 6-5 240 (DE)

Offense:

Austin Anderson #70 So. 6-4 335 T

Christian Johnson #57 Sr. 6-1 305 C

Tyler Littlefield #74 Sr. 6-0 230 T

Jayran France #52 Sr. 6-0 285 G

Ken-Yae Cofer #53 Sr. 6-1 270 G

D-line BIG and with speed...I've seen them first hand.    Big Challenge - Freddie had more size on the D-line, but BG has more speed and athleticism with some pretty big fellas.

• Like 1

Oboro D-Line:

Hines 6-1 255 SO DT/DE

Palmer 6-4 215 SR DT

Barksdale 5-11 215 JR DE

Goodwin (really a OLB) 6-2 170 SO DE/OLB

Owensboro O-line:

Millay 6-6 275 SR T

Humphries 5-10 225 SR G

Lindsey 6-4 310 FR C

Madewell 6-0 260 SR G

Miller 6-3-265 SO T

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brown said:

D-line BIG and with speed...I've seen them first hand.    Big Challenge - Freddie had more size on the D-line, but BG has more speed and athleticism with some pretty big fellas.

Hey Brown, how about putting up the Owensboro line guys and their size attributes as well?

1 minute ago, Brown said:

Oboro D-Line:

Hines 6-1 255 SO DT/DE

Palmer 6-4 215 SR DT

Barksdale 5-11 215 JR DE

Goodwin (really a OLB) 6-2 170 SO DE/OLB

Owensboro O-line:

Millay 6-6 275 SR T

Humphries 5-10 225 SR G

Lindsey 6-4 310 FR C

Madewell 6-0 260 SR G

Miller 6-3-265 SO T

Is Goodwin the Willie type player? Monsters on the O line o.o!! 

7 minutes ago, PhenomxX said:

Is Goodwin the Willie type player? Monsters on the O line o.o!! 

Goodwin leads the team in TFL and Sacks.  He can drop and cover a WR, but is very fast.  My guess is he will try to get in the backfield as much as possible to pressure Cooper.  He could be starting RB or WR.  Very talented.  4th on the team in tackles.

Hines is 2nd on the team in tackles from a DE/DT position - that is phenomenal!  He is really good at rushing QB and also shedding blocks and getting tackles.

The starting safeties are 6th and 16th on the team in tackles - a good sign IMHO.  Linebackers and Line doing their job.

I will also say the Offensive line is pretty athletic.  Miller was moved to RT from DE, but he could be starting TE if we had one.  He can move pretty good for big guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1