Owensboro Catholic at Murray Predictions/Updates (Class 2A Playoffs)

ATLCat

Owensboro Catholic at Murray  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Owensboro Catholic Aces
    • Murray Tigers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/04/2020 at 06:00 PM

Two teams who didn't enter the playoffs with the top-seed in their District, but still found a way to get the job done!

Murray enters this game fresh off a heart stopping thriller against smalls school heavyweight Mayfield. Owensboro Catholic had their hands full with a Hancock County team that was playing at a historic level.

Though Mayfield had been the best of the West for some time, these two teams have a notable history in the playoffs. All told this will be the ninth time these teams have faced off on the playoffs since 2010.Murray won the last meeting in 2018 by a final score of 41-32, which gave them the 5-4 edge in those meetings.

The Aces will give a different look than what the Tigers have been accustomed to seeing. For over two decades the Aces were personified with the Air Raid style of offense and scoreboard lighting statistical performances in the passing game. The 2020 edition is very much reliant on their ability to run the football and have brought a more physical approach to the field. 

Murray counters with their own brand of physical football, but also have some extremely talented skill on both sides of the ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Key for this game, and every game Murray has played, is ball security.  If Murray limits their turnovers, I do not see them losing Friday.  OCath is a solid group.  I just don't see #1 running through a stout Murray run defense.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FB Head said:

Key for this game, and every game Murray has played, is ball security.  If Murray limits their turnovers, I do not see them losing Friday.  OCath is a solid group.  I just don't see #1 running through a stout Murray run defense.

Welcome to BGP @FB Head!

These are two teams that are very familiar with each other. I'm not sure two teams that are not in the same district have played more in the playoffs than these two in the past 10 years. More times than not the better team has not won this game just the team who made the least amount of mistakes or the least amount of injuries. OCath has had an identity change of late with running the ball and should be getting two of their bigger lineman back this week that have not played in the playoffs yet due to quarantine and injury. With that being said Murray is still the much bigger team. If OCath can have success running the ball and hit a few big pass plays here and there and not allow Murray to big play them then I think they have a very good shot. If Murray does not turn the ball over and can limit their penalties then they are an extremely tough out. 

Murray seems to be more battle tested overall, and comes out of a tougher district.  I would pick them coming out on top (assuming they don't turn the ball over like they did last week).  However, last week was an emotional game for them.  They cleared a big mental hurdle in beating Mayfield, and sometimes a win like that can drain a team.  We will see if they come out firing, or if they spent everything they had on beating their district rival.  I would say margin of victory for either team is a touchdown.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

I’m pulling for Murray if I’m not mistaken the last time they got to the semis they got waxed by Glasgow in 2011.

That is true.  Jalen Sublett ran right over Murray (and everyone else) on their home field.  If I remember, Sublett ran over 2100 yards that year! 

• mcpapa locked this topic