theguru

Murray 28 Mayfield 21 (3OT)

You have to go back a long ways to find the last time Mayfield was not involved in a Regional Finals game.

1997 Murray beat Mayfield 7-0 in Round 2.

The Tigers do it once more tonight.

• Thanks 1

First playoff loss at home for Mayfield since Danville knocked them off in the 1A semis in 2003. This snapped a streak of 46 straight playoff wins at War Memorial for the Cards.

• Like 1

Gotta give Murray credit.  Down 14-0 and to come back and win like that showed a lot of guts.  They shut Mayfield's offense down for three quarters and made the plays they had to to win the game.

Good year by Mayfield.  They have a young team and hopefully they can build on this season.  Good luck to Murray next week.  They have a tough team.  If they keep playing defense like they have been, and keep that running game going they will be a tough out.

• Like 3

What an incredible game. Murray played their butts off and came back from a 14-0 halftime deficit. Mayfield have nothing to hang their heads about they just came up a little short. Congrats Murray!!!

War Memorial almost provided some magic for Mayfield to escape. What a game though.

I had feeling this might happen. The years that Beechwood has a team that might be favored to beat Mayfield, it seems like they lose before they have to play the Tigers. 

That is one heck of an effort by Murray. When was the last time Mayfield had a two touchdown lead in the second half and lost the game?

The game changed when Murray stopped mayfield on 4th and goal from the 1 yard line late in the second quarter.  Instead of being down three scores going into half they were down two and scored on their first possession of the second half to close the gap to one score.  

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I had feeling this might happen. The years that Beechwood has a team that might be favored to beat Mayfield, it seems like they lose before they have to play the Tigers. 

That is one heck of an effort by Murray. When was the last time Mayfield had a two touchdown lead in the second half and lost the game?

It always happens that way. I can remember 3 years it happened that way. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BadaBing said:

The game changed when Murray stopped mayfield on 4th and goal from the 1 yard line late in the second quarter.  Instead of being down three scores going into half they were down two and scored on their first possession of the second half to close the gap to one score.  

I agree with this.

Don't recall seeing 3 flags picked up on a play either.

Murray was their own worst enemy the 1st few times they had the ball with all their fumbles and Mayfield took full advantage except when they had the ball on the 1 foot line for 4 plays and never got in. After that Murray out played Mayfield the rest of the way, for the most part.

• Like 1

One of the better high school games I’ve seen. Completely agree about the 4th and goal stop. Murray has killed themselves with turnovers this year, could possibly be undefeated without them. I can’t believe they coughed it up that many times and still won being down 14. All heart and all guts! The overtime couldn’t be scripted better in Hollywood. That district this year was absolutely unbelievable to watch. All teams should be proud! Glad Murray came out on top!

I admit I'm surprised, but that is really a compliment to Mayfield and how unbelievably consistent they have been through the years.  They will be back.

Congratulations Murray!  Pulling for you next week!  Good luck!