Murray 28 Mayfield 21 (3OT)

theguru

8 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I had feeling this might happen. The years that Beechwood has a team that might be favored to beat Mayfield, it seems like they lose before they have to play the Tigers. 

That is one heck of an effort by Murray. When was the last time Mayfield had a two touchdown lead in the second half and lost the game?

You are correct, my friend, I do not believe we would have beaten you guys this year...had we made it that far.

Mayfield only scored in the first OT. Both teams missed FG's in the second OT. Mayfield has such an impressive winning tradition having gone 90-2 at War Memorial over the last decade only losing to 6A teams both times and I dont think they have lost a home playoff game since the Lincoln adminstration lol. I hope the Murray kids know how special it is to win like that. Who knows, Murray might not win again for another 23 years but I just home we get some more games like the 2 we had this year in the future. 

53 minutes ago, Bud_Kilmer said:

Mayfield only scored in the first OT. Both teams missed FG's in the second OT. Mayfield has such an impressive winning tradition having gone 90-2 at War Memorial over the last decade only losing to 6A teams both times and I dont think they have lost a home playoff game since the Lincoln adminstration lol. I hope the Murray kids know how special it is to win like that. Who knows, Murray might not win again for another 23 years but I just home we get some more games like the 2 we had this year in the future. 

You’re right it was the first overtime , Murray scored first, then Mayfield. 

They did get to the 3rd overtime, I thought you had to go for 2 once you got to the 3rd overtime in high school?

Honestly I thought the same thing, I guess not. I dont guess it would have mattered last night. A total of only 22 points separated Murray, Mayfield and Caldwell in 5 games that involved 5 overtimes. Congrats to the most entertaining district in the state this year.

2 hours ago, GBR said:

You are correct, my friend, I do not believe we would have beaten you guys this year...had we made it that far.

I hear you, and it looks that way after last night's results, but it seems like things have a way of going wrong for Beechwood when they play Mayfield so I would not have counted Mayfield out. 

Congratulations to Murray,  they really deserve it,both teams left it on the field, just how it is supposed to be. I will say this I do like this Mayfield team for the next couple of years, I think they will be special, again congratulations to the Tigers take it all the way represent Western Kentucky.

Looking back on some records tonight, it appears this is the first season Mayfield didn't win a playoff game since failing to qualify for the postseason in 1980. This is the first time Mayfield has lost their first playoff game since falling, 7-0, to Green County in 1975.

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Looking back on some records tonight, it appears this is the first season Mayfield didn't win a playoff game since failing to qualify for the postseason in 1980. This is the first time Mayfield has lost their first playoff game since falling, 7-0, to Green County in 1975.

Yeah 2020 has been unkind to the Cardinals, Cardinals fans knew it was a rebuilding year and the coaches did a great job. Losing Rodgers didn't help after the first 2 plays of the season and last night in the 2nd quarter a young Sophomore lineman broke his tibia. Lots of good players are on the way and next season Mayfield will be one of the favorites.

No excuses though.... Murray deserved the win.