Bowling Green 41 South Warren 24

theguru

2 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

Who said anything about turnovers? I was talking about their schedule.

I saw your inference on a stat that was tweeted. I don’t know what you could be referring to from my original post. 

It doesn’t really matter. Again, Bowling Green was the better team tonight and it was made crystal clear in the second half where it mattered most.

Long ride home, but it sure was worth the drive!  I will always remember this game for the turnovers and my man @Brown is correct with 8 turnovers for South Warren!  But heck BG had 5 turnovers I think as well!  CRAZY!  Really reminds me of a former John Hardin playoff game (around 2011) where they came to BG and were undefeated I think and turned it over about 4 or 5 times and got run out of the El!!!

Really happy to get to see 1 more game at El Donaldson before the Big Renovation!

Back to the game!  BG was getting all kinds of pressure on Veltcamp with a 3 man rush where they were dropping 8.  WOW!  That was huge for BG and South tried running too much up the middle.  That was stopped all night, but thought they had a couple decent runs just off tackle, but didn't go back to it.  Thought they had the bubble screen going but again didn't go back to it!  The BG Defense was huge tonight!  Very hard hitting game!

But I think the difference for me outside of the turnovers was the offenses mixture of plays.  And my man @Killowatt59 was correct about getting Conner Cooper in the run game.  I think for BG to beat the best teams in 5A he has to be involved running the ball , at least some.  Bunton got some tough yards.  But the Player of the Game for me was Eli Burwash!  The young man did it all!  But most outstanding was a critical leaping INT and nearly the next play he ran a Super route and caught a TD pass from Cooper!  He also had some great punts!  Even though I think he will be in the League someday in baseball he is a heck of a football player!

Just really excited for these Seniors! To get to go another week!

Lastly, I want to applaud the BG Coaches as I think they flipped the script from the early October game and gave BG a chance to win this game and that was HUGE!

On to North Bullitt!!!!  Go Purples!

• Like 4

Made the trip tonight. First visit to South Warren; nice facility. Stray observations from this game:

1. Bowling Green’s defensive line dominated the game. Pressure all night which showed in some of the turnovers.

2. Really liked what Bowling Green did on offense. Put pressure on South Warren’s defense all evening. I’ll add that I don’t believe Dingle caught a single pass but there were plenty other stars for the Purples.

3. Wasn’t wowed by Veltkamp but a lot of that wasn’t his fault. He had no time to throw. However, he made a few really bad throws include that attempted throw away near the end zone. He did a decent job avoiding some potential sacks but he’s not a good enough athlete to get yards when flushed from the pocket. 

4. I sat on the South Warren side and if I had a dollar for every time they screamed for a holding call I could retire today. I thought the referees were a non-factor but apparently not everyone felt that way!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@PurplePride92 I haven't had the opportunity this year to follow the teams down in Bowling Green, Warren County, and Christian County like I usually do, but I thought I remembered you saying a couple of years ago that you expected South Warren to start a long stint of running the show in 5A this year. Am I remembering that incorrectly (I honestly may very well be), or are things at South Warren not progressing the way you thought they would?

I realize this was the Spartans' only loss of the season, but I don't know that I'd necessarily call it an "upset" after the regular season game was against Bowling Green was only decided by a field goal.

9 hours ago, Purple88 said:

Long ride home, but it sure was worth the drive!  I will always remember this game for the turnovers and my man @Brown is correct with 8 turnovers for South Warren!  But heck BG had 5 turnovers I think as well!  CRAZY!  Really reminds me of a former John Hardin playoff game (around 2011) where they came to BG and were undefeated I think and turned it over about 4 or 5 times and got run out of the El!!!

Really happy to get to see 1 more game at El Donaldson before the Big Renovation!

Back to the game!  BG was getting all kinds of pressure on Veltcamp with a 3 man rush where they were dropping 8.  WOW!  That was huge for BG and South tried running too much up the middle.  That was stopped all night, but thought they had a couple decent runs just off tackle, but didn't go back to it.  Thought they had the bubble screen going but again didn't go back to it!  The BG Defense was huge tonight!  Very hard hitting game!

But I think the difference for me outside of the turnovers was the offenses mixture of plays.  And my man @Killowatt59 was correct about getting Conner Cooper in the run game.  I think for BG to beat the best teams in 5A he has to be involved running the ball , at least some.  Bunton got some tough yards.  But the Player of the Game for me was Eli Burwash!  The young man did it all!  But most outstanding was a critical leaping INT and nearly the next play he ran a Super route and caught a TD pass from Cooper!  He also had some great punts!  Even though I think he will be in the League someday in baseball he is a heck of a football player!

Lastly, I want to applaud the BG Coaches as I think they flipped the script from the early October game and gave BG a chance to win this game and that was HUGE!

Burwash is a great athlete and he made some great plays. I was hoping him involved more. I thought they may try some outside runs or pitches to him cause of his speed.

They need to use Cooper more to run the ball. Could have used him a lot more Friday also to go wear down the defense.

Still don't understand why Dingle has disappeared against South Warren.  I think he had only two targets all game and they were only cause Cooper was in trouble and he just chucked it.

I've never been impressed with Veltcamp. BG's defense did a heck of a job keeping him under pressure. Surprised they gave up on running as fast as they did. They pretty much abandoned it and tried to throw the ball down the field. 

Great win for the Purples! And more game at the current stadium.

44 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

Burwash is a great athlete and he made some great plays. I was hoping him involved more. I thought they may try some outside runs or pitches to him cause of his speed.

They need to use Cooper more to run the ball. Could have used him a lot more Friday also to go wear down the defense.

Still don't understand why Dingle has disappeared against South Warren.  I think he had only two targets all game and they were only cause Cooper was in trouble and he just chucked it.

I've never been impressed with Veltcamp. BG's defense did a heck of a job keeping him under pressure. Surprised they gave up on running as fast as they did. They pretty much abandoned it and tried to throw the ball down the field. 

Great win for the Purples! And more game at the current stadium.

Bad take, we saw quite a bit of QB draw and designed QB option, so kudos for that! As for Dingle not getting targets, South appeared to have a saftey shadowing him as well as his primary linebacker, so Cooper earned a lot of credit for not force feeding the ball and causing more turnovers. 

Great team win for the Purples! It’s going to be an emotional game next week with it being the last at the current field. 

Just now, PhenomxX said:

Bad take, we saw quite a bit of QB draw and designed QB option, so kudos for that! As for Dingle not getting targets, South appeared to have a saftey shadowing him as well as his primary linebacker, so Cooper earned a lot of credit for not force feeding the ball and causing more turnovers. 

Great team win for the Purples! It’s going to be an emotional game next week with it being the last at the current field. 

Welcome to BGP @PhenomxX!

5 minutes ago, PhenomxX said:

Bad take?  LOL.  Oh brother.

18 hours ago, Purple88 said:

What are the plans for a new stadium?  Location? Etc.  My understanding is that only aluminum bleachers will be approved by the KY BOE.

41 minutes ago, macdon said:

What are the plans for a new stadium?  Location? Etc.  My understanding is that only aluminum bleachers will be approved by the KY BOE.

It's going to be basically in the same location. It will be moved over some to make room for a bigger, nicer track.

It will have field turf, updated lighting. Big nice new stadium side with some type of boxes up top. The other side will have some small visitor side bleachers. Though I'm afraid it will ruin the best part of the current stadium and that is the hill side.

New ticket booths, new concession areas, new bathrooms.  From my understanding it's going to be first class everywhere.

Points of concern that may make the stadium a lot worse are: taking away the hillside where everyone likes to bring their own chairs and kids running around playing ball. The track is going to be so wide that it may put the fans too far away from the field.  

Warren county did this at a couple of their schools and it's terrible.

But we'll see what the final project looks like.

13 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

@PurplePride92 I haven't had the opportunity this year to follow the teams down in Bowling Green, Warren County, and Christian County like I usually do, but I thought I remembered you saying a couple of years ago that you expected South Warren to start a long stint of running the show in 5A this year. Am I remembering that incorrectly (I honestly may very well be), or are things at South Warren not progressing the way you thought they would?

I realize this was the Spartans' only loss of the season, but I don't know that I'd necessarily call it an "upset" after the regular season game was against Bowling Green was only decided by a field goal.

Yes.  Things are still progressing like I expected.  Can’t win with 7-8 turnovers against most teams let alone against BG.   South Warren is still going to be strong next year.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

Yes.  Things are still progressing like I expected.  Can’t win with 7-8 turnovers against most teams let alone against BG.   South Warren is still going to be strong next year.  

They will every bit be top three in the class next year. 

I said it earlier in the thread but every single one of these games will be tough, competitive, exaughsting battles. South Warren will win. Bowling Green will win. 
The regular season winner will not always be the playoff winner and vice versa. 

South Warren losing to Bowling Green doesn’t make them down or any less of a program in my eyes. Spartans are progressing plenty and they had a great team this year who lost a football game to team that was better than them on one night in November. It happens. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Killowatt59 said:

It's going to be basically in the same location. It will be moved over some to make room for a bigger, nicer track.

It will have field turf, updated lighting. Big nice new stadium side with some type of boxes up top. The other side will have some small visitor side bleachers. Though I'm afraid it will ruin the best part of the current stadium and that is the hill side.

New ticket booths, new concession areas, new bathrooms.  From my understanding it's going to be first class everywhere.

Points of concern that may make the stadium a lot worse are: taking away the hillside where everyone likes to bring their own chairs and kids running around playing ball. The track is going to be so wide that it may put the fans too far away from the field.  

Warren county did this at a couple of their schools and it's terrible.

But we'll see what the final project looks like.

Bitter sweet, so many memories at the El.