Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands at Covington Catholic (5A Playoffs) Predictions/Updates

Who wins? 61 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Covington Catholic
      95%
    • Highlands
      4%

This poll is closed to new votes

Poll closed on 11/28/2020 at 12:00 AM

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

2 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

It is not 100% student produced.  Not saying kids cannot be involved, but if they are then someone teach them the rules of the game and learn the kids names for your team and the other team if possible.  

The Broadcast has evolved a little bit and not all for the better in my opinion.  The first year the play by play guy had it going on and color girl amused me with her hard hitting commentary.  The focus of the broadcast is definitely more "robotic" now and hopefully moving forward Highlands finds a happy medium.

  • Replies 196
  • Views 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Yikes. This is an all-time bad take.  They are high school students showing interest in a career path, and because you don't like it, the school should do something different? How is it embarrass

  • Jack of all Trades
    Jack of all Trades

    Not fun to hear the high school kids to me.  Do they do soccer, basketball or any other sport for that matter?  No they do not.  It is embarrassing to me that an adult is not calling the game and the

  • Or maybe the program is doing exactly what it is designed to do and entitled adults should be able to understand the purpose of it. 

Posted Images

Just now, Jack of all Trades said:

You have your opinions and I have mine.  If this is the “gold” standard then why are more schools not doing it?  

Well, I would imagine resources also play a part in it.   I don't think I'm being controversial here to say that Fort Thomas is able to provide a pretty healthy amount of resources to a wide variety of programs that other districts may not. 

That being said, the CovCath broadcast is pretty outstanding.  I will also say that I was really impressed during the first HHS-CovCath game this year how professional they were.  CC guys for sure, but definitely not a Dave Lapham vibe, even though I do love listening to Lap.  

As for the Highlands broadcasts, I enjoy it as well.  I mean, its fair to say that there may be some googling of "football things to say" before they take the mic, but I think that's part of the charm.   The hype video at the beginning is really well done and its kind of fun seeing the kids getting to pursue their aspirations.   I was at a Highlands pep rally a couple years ago and there was something the principal said that stuck with me.  It was kind of an "all fall sports" type rally, but it was before the CC game and there was a big emphasis on the football game obviously.  He articulated very well just how many students who are not on the football team are still involved in some aspect of the game on a Friday night.  I mean, this isn't a novel idea obviously, but I thought it was a great way to highlight that sense of the the school community.   Obviously, the broadcast is a big part of that.   Now, he just has to fix the actual football situation.  ?

Back to the game...

From Cov Cath’s perspective, the Colonels need to play inspired, clean football.  Take nothing for granted.  Rest assured, the birdies will come ready to play.  If you look back at the course of this rivalry, there are several examples of the second act being a lot closer than the first.  I expect a hard fought, clean football game.  In the end, I hope the Colonels find a way.  

1 minute ago, Samcro said:

Back to the game...

From Cov Cath’s perspective, the Colonels need to play inspired, clean football.  Take nothing for granted.  Rest assured, the birdies will come ready to play.  If you look back at the course of this rivalry, there are several examples of the second act being a lot closer than the first.  I expect a hard fought, clean football game.  In the end, I hope the Colonels find a way.  

Highlands has a lot to play for, hopefully they play with the intensity and attitude that they played the first Conner game with and let the chips fall where they may.  

  • Author
1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

I guarantee you they would make more money off of it if they dropped it to like $9. Probably get over double the amount of people. And why not get Cov Cath high school kids to do it like the Highlands format? They stumble through it a little more but it's fun to see a high school kid try something and succeed. 

All of the actual video production is done by Cov Cath students.

1 hour ago, Samcro said:

Back to the game...

From Cov Cath’s perspective, the Colonels need to play inspired, clean football.  Take nothing for granted.  Rest assured, the birdies will come ready to play.  If you look back at the course of this rivalry, there are several examples of the second act being a lot closer than the first.  I expect a hard fought, clean football game.  In the end, I hope the Colonels find a way.  

I agree. I've seen it too many times where the playoff game is much closer than the regular season game. CovCath will need to be focused this week as they will get Highlands' best shot.

I have a hard time envisioning a close game.  By my math, Highlands has had one game decided by fewer than double digit points all season (a 9 point win vs Ryle).   That just strikes me as a really strange stat.   In their first game, that first half had a couple of pivotal moments that kept it a game, and frankly it could have been closer at halftime.   But, at halftime, one team smartly makes adjustments and the other is either unwilling or unable to do the same.   I think the chances of that dynamic changing Friday night are pretty slim.   

The broadcast uses two student cameramen, a student on graphics and a student directing.   The adults do the play by play.  

The Colonels better remember those 49 losses and come to play.  The Birds have enough speed to score on any play and “any given Friday”. 

It’s one and done fellas. 

How did Lex Cath beat Cov Cath? Or did Cov Cath beat themselves in that loss? During the regular season game Highlands got dominated on both sides of the line. Is there a way they don't repeat this? Highlands needs to play their A game and for Cov Cath to play their D game (which they have stooped to this year once or twice). Highlands also needs to have the ball bounce their way a couple times and win the turnover battle. It will take all of those things for the Birds to win. It seems extremely unlikely that Highlands will win, but sometimes that's when the craziest things happen. First step for Birds is: believing in themselves.

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

How did Lex Cath beat Cov Cath? Or did Cov Cath beat themselves in that loss? During the regular season game Highlands got dominated on both sides of the line. Is there a way they don't repeat this? Highlands needs to play their A game and for Cov Cath to play their D game (which they have stooped to this year once or twice). Highlands also needs to have the ball bounce their way a couple times and win the turnover battle. It will take all of those things for the Birds to win. It seems extremely unlikely that Highlands will win, but sometimes that's when the craziest things happen. First step for Birds is: believing in themselves.

LexCath can throw the ball. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

LexCath can throw the ball. 

CovCath was also missing multiple starters.

4 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

CovCath was also missing multiple starters.

5 starters to be exact. The defensive scheme is set up for the d lineman to occupy the o lineman and leave the LB’s free to make plays. In the Lexcath game CCH was missing both starting outside linebackers as well as a D lineman and two db’s. Lexcath played very well and turned many short passes bigger gains. 

6 hours ago, theguru said:

As far as I am concerned the Highlands Broadcasting Network is the gold standard and I would like to see high school kids integrated into all broadcasts of high school sports with the exception of maybe the State Championships.

I don't want to dwell on this but Highlands and CovCath are funded different ways so I can't fault CovCath here. 

 

Check out this HHS Link for You tube

Was one of the Kids doing the games on Friday nights at HHS.

3 minutes ago, XtraIce said:

 

Check out this HHS Link for You tube

Was one of the Kids doing the games on Friday nights at HHS.

Thanks for sharing that, Highlands has to be really proud of Mr. Rust. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.