Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shot Clock

Featured Replies

Why haven't the coaches or Khsaa imposed a shot clock?

 

I see too many games where a team will use almost a minute per possession before they take a shot and if the game is real close I have seen a team play keep away for 2 minutes then opposing coach have no choice to foul to stay in it only logic I could come up with is the money to install the clocks its self in all gyms.

 

Any other thoughts on why this hasn't took place?

  • Replies 73
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have this discussion every season, and it's a healthy one. Most of the arguments for the shot clock are that it speeds up pace of play (benefits the offense) and that it helps ensure that "the better teams win". Most of the arguments against center around cost (manpower and equipment) and, curiously enough, David gets the occasional chance to slay Goliath if they don't have to run down the court and jack up a shot every (fill in the blank) seconds; and stresses defense.

 

I'm in the old school camp, but I get why a lot of fans would like to see a shot clock.

It’s difficult enough to get people to run the scoreboard and keep the scorebooks, particularly at smaller schools. Adding a shot clock person, someone that could do it efficiently, would make it even more difficult.

The number one reason why has already been mentioned and we’ll be mentioned again and again - the cost and operation of such is another burden on high school athletics programs that just don’t need another burden.

 

But for me, the more significant reason against is that I want to keep the Sweet 16 unclassified. If you introduce the shot clock, you will produce more blow outs in the postseason, thusly creating more and more advocates for classification.

I’m a huge proponent of a shot clock. But I also don’t think that most schools would have someone capable of running it correctly. It’s not as simple as some people think. I just really hate the amount of stories where a coach refuses to come out of a zone, so the opposing coach just holds the ball. Seems to be more and more of them. Or double overtime games where both teams finish in the 40s.

Eight states use shot clock at high school level so apparently it can be done.

The number one reason why has already been mentioned and we’ll be mentioned again and again - the cost and operation of such is another burden on high school athletics programs that just don’t need another burden.

 

But for me, the more significant reason against is that I want to keep the Sweet 16 unclassified. If you introduce the shot clock, you will produce more blow outs in the postseason, thusly creating more and more advocates for classification.

Probably 99.4% of us that don’t advocate for a shot clock want to see Kentucky high school hoops unclassified and the Sweet 16 unseeded.

And to be honest, I’d rather see a 46 to 38 game than a 76 to 48 game. But that could just be me.

Bottom-line is that this isn't the NBA - or even college. In the NBA, even the worst teams are populated with players with great basketball talents....getting a shot off within the shot clock timeframe isn't all that hard. And - in the overwhelming majority of the time - that's true for college.

 

I'm talking about a "good" shot. Not just one that is 90% certain to produce a rebound.

 

What hasn't been mentioned so far is that these are HS kids. They're mostly playing for fun (most will not play after HS) and are - in theory, LOL - still learning. At this stage, they still struggle to know the difference between a bad shot, an OK shot, and a great shot - and that's without a shot clock adding pressure.

 

What you're going to get with the addition of the shot clock is some fundamentally bad basketball.

 

Yes, a byproduct will be that the better teams will suffer fewer upsets, but when did upsets become a bad thing? If there were no upsets, we should simply seed up the games, and hand the game ball to the higher seed. No need to play.

 

I love high-scoring games as much as anyone, but I'm not sure at the HS level that speeding up the shot attempts is always going to dramatically change things. Increased points, certainly, but perhaps not the increase some might expect. (It might, however, produce a new state record or two in the rebounds department...LOL)

 

Let's quit trying to make 14-18 year olds into NBA players, and let them enjoy and learn the game...while we (the fans) can enjoy high school sports. If a game with a shot clock is what you want, there's a game for you at the college and pro levels.

 

CM

Remove the financial aspect, as well as the staffing issues, and I think there should absolutely be a shot clock in high school basketball. I think the staffing issue could be solved pretty much everywhere. The cost would be the biggest hurdle.

I think a lot of the shot clock debate is powered by what I refer to as the AAU mentality.....run it up and down, get the most talent, and win. It's tough to control game tempo, but new school basketball frowns on it. The real issue I see is you need to implement the shot clock beginning at middle school....boys and girls...7th, 8th, Fr, JV, and varsity. That's 10 teams an athletic administrator needs coverage for along with scorers, clocks, announcers, stats, etc. If people want it they need to step up and VOLUNTEER at their local school. Maybe not your child's team, but another in the program.

What you're going to get with the addition of the shot clock is some fundamentally bad basketball.

 

This is an assumption. With the adoption of a shot clock rule, coaches would have to change how they coach, and I don't think that means sacrificing fundamentals.

Eight states use shot clock at high school level so apparently it can be done.

 

What states?

If you're a fan of the shot clock, go watch AAU basketball, if you're not a fan of it, go watch HS basketball.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.