January 2, 20206 yr That stinks, I used to be buddies with his son Zak in the 80's and when we'd be at their place in Wyoming (OH), Coach Wyche couldn't have been nicer. Really sad!!
January 2, 20206 yr Pretty sure he's credited with using the no-huddle/hurry-up offense during the game instead of just before a half. He also would send 12 or more guys in a huddle and then have the extras run off after the huddle break (now outlawed by NFL). Wicky Wacky Wyche was extremely creative in his play calling. R.I.P Sam
January 2, 20206 yr Hated to hear this. While a lot of people bought into the "Wacky Wyche" persona that was often portrayed, I got to see/deal with him several times off the field back in 90/91. A very caring and giving man in those instances. Also had a great sense of humor. RIP Coach.
January 3, 20206 yr I consider 1988 the best season in Bengals history in almost every aspect from results to entertainment value. Sam Wyche was the reason. A even better person than football coach.
January 3, 20206 yr I hate cancer. He beats death with his heart transplant (great story on organ donation) and now this.
January 3, 20206 yr I remember watching the game on TV with the “YOU DON’T LIVE IN CLEVELAND!!!!” speech. Lol. Cleveland fans did take too kindly to that comment. He was a great coach during the heyday of Bengals football.
January 3, 20206 yr With the exception of his crack about Cleveland, he was a good coach for the Bengals. :sneaky:
January 3, 20206 yr He was a great coach in Tampa, too. However, he came in when Hugh Culverhouse was dying and free agency was just beginning. After Culverhouse died, the team was placed in a trust run by a group headed by Rich McKay, who eventually would be GM under the Glazers. Had the Glazers kept him, I believe he would have turned the team as fast, if not quicker than, Tony Dungy did. RIP Coach.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.