Class 1A Playoffs: #2 Newport Central Catholic at #8 Louisville Holy Cross

Bac2369

Who wins this matchup?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this matchup?

• Newport Central Catholic
    • Louisville Holy Cross

Who wins this regional championship matchup? Newport Central Catholic is coming into this matchup at 10-2 on the season. Newport Central Catholic has two running clock wins over Dayton and Ludlow. Louisville Holy Cross is also 10-2 on the season. They have defeated Fort Knox in the first round 49-7, and got some revenge on Bethlehem in the second round with a 34-13 win.

Newport Central Catholic is averaging close to 34 points per game while giving up over 13 points per game. Louisville Holy Cross is averaging just over 33 points per game while giving up just 16 points per game.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think NCC losing this would be an upset at all. They look even to me. I'll take NCC because I want them to win but won't be surprised if they don't.

There is upset potential here. Newport Catholic is not as strong as many believe. Holy Cross is playing very well and is at home. An upset here will not surprise me at all.

I have watched Dayton and Ludlow run with a lot of success on the NCC defense. Anybody watching Fri. game will attack the Breds between the tackles and run at them. That being said they showed a bend but no break defense until the JVs took over. My concern is that teams much more talented than Ludlow and Dayton will break through where these 2 teams could not. I know nothing about LHC but NCC interior defensive line would concern me. Just an opinion based on watching 3 games. Perhaps it was just bad nights.

Take out the Roger Bacon game with Corey Kiner (who no one has stopped) and take out scores given up by the JV in blowouts, the NCC starting defense has only given up 46 points in the other 11 games. The Defense doesn’t get all the credit it deserves, because the offense can be so explosive.

On the other side of the ball, NCC has played the last 3+ games without their biggest target Caleb Jefferson, getting him back could be huge!

Should be a great game Friday night!

This is the next stop on the Coach Bob Bronger farewell tour for Holy Cross. I'd love to see it continue. If these Cougars are anything like the school that occupied the school premises before them--Bishop David--they'll knock your socks off.