Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Brannen steps down at Walton-Verona

Featured Replies

Any idea why Coach Borkowski resigned and if the reason(s) Borkowski resigned had anything to do with the reason(s) Coach Brannen resigned?

 

I will believe it does, but I never actually asked about him specifically.

  • Replies 58
  • Views 28.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no inside information. Just going on initial, pessimistic gut feeling. Not going to have the talent to compete in the top level in the 8th again for a while. Sounds like he is getting out on top.

Great run at WV for Coach Brannen. It sounds like he just needed to step back and regroup. He will do a great job wherever he lands next.

Any idea why Coach Borkowski resigned and if the reason(s) Borkowski resigned had anything to do with the reason(s) Coach Brannen resigned?

The only reason that I have heard is that they both want to spend more time with family. Both have young children.

I have no inside information. Just going on initial, pessimistic gut feeling. Not going to have the talent to compete in the top level in the 8th again for a while. Sounds like he is getting out on top.

 

I agree with you. He's losing 8 seniors. Wins will be scarce. Probably doesn't want to deal with the losses coming down the pipe for the next several years. I don't blame him.

I called this during the season, 9 Srs and nothing in the pipeline. He did not build that team or anything else at WV, rode those boys for what glory he could get and then quits.

I called this during the season, 9 Srs and nothing in the pipeline. He did not build that team or anything else at WV, rode those boys for what glory he could get and then quits.

 

Well there you have it. The reason why he is gone.

I called this during the season, 9 Srs and nothing in the pipeline. He did not build that team or anything else at WV, rode those boys for what glory he could get and then quits.

 

Brannen has been at WV for 6 years. How did he not build this team and how did he ride on their shoulders? That's just crazy talk, man.

Brannen has been at WV for 6 years. How did he not build this team and how did he ride on their shoulders? That's just crazy talk, man.

 

Concur, completely ridiculous to say a coach who inherited a program that was completely in shambles & spent six years didn't build anything. A great coach who had a high level of success at both NCC and WV.

Concur, completely ridiculous to say a coach who inherited a program that was completely in shambles & spent six years didn't build anything. A great coach who had a high level of success at both NCC and WV.

Concur 100%, and this old brain seems to recall that as Brannen was coming to WV their two best players (Moeves brothers) transferred to NewCath leaving the WV cupboard completely bare. Brannen's 1st year was 4-20 with four sr.s supporting the cupboard's void . His program went 14-14 the next year and improved annually to this stellar year. Can't a young all-star coach move on without getting skewered?

Edited by Oldercoach

I admittedly do not know much about the Walton program, but was curious if the kids that were seniors this year all came through the Walton elementary school system?

We're leaving this thread open for the discussion of any potential next moves by Coach Brannen, and anything regarding his departure as head coach.

 

Please direct all discussion of any potential hires for the Bearcats to this open job thread:

 

Open Job: Walton-Verona

I will add I came into contact with Coach Borkowski and asked him to go on the record about the departures and he declined to do so.

I admittedly do not know much about the Walton program, but was curious if the kids that were seniors this year all came through the Walton elementary school system?

 

The core of those Sr's have been together since Elementary and played every summer together. I have watched those boys for many years and they were focused on one thing, Rupp. The hard work and dedication paid off, Congrats to them All, it has been many years of great competition!

I will add I came into contact with Coach Borkowski and asked him to go on the record about the departures and he declined to do so.

 

So what does that tell you about the whole "wanting to spend more time with the family" explanation?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.