Covington Catholic/Newport predictions

Covington Catholic vs. Newport (9th Region Semifinals at BB&T Arena)  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Covington Catholic vs. Newport (9th Region Semifinals at BB&T Arena)

• Covington Catholic (25-7)
    • Newport (25-8)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like the Cooper/Beechwood game, this also will be a much closer affair than when these two teams first met early in the season. Newport seems to have sorted out some of their issues with finishing games, and are presently playing their best basketball with a full healthy lineup. With that said CovCath is so highly efficient with their ball movement, and are even showing a better outside game along with their already dominant inside game that I'm seeing a Colonel victory here somewhere around a 7 point edge.

Newport has a very real shot here. Most games you know what you’re getting from McGuire, Miller and Harding. When White steps in and starts scoring (their 4th leading scorer at just under 10 ppg) is when things get dangerous. Davis will be their defensive workhorse and do all the little things as he’s done all year. Harding grabbed his 900th rebound for his career in the Conner game and will certainly add more in this one. McGuire didn’t play in their regular season meeting and I really think that was a big factor in the 17 point win for CovCath. These kids are out to prove they belong at the top and I think we finally see that break through tonight. Give me Newport 64-59.

Clearly, looking at the current poll results (33-29), everyone is expecting an absolute barn-burner on Friday night. Newport has had some very near misses in recent Regionals, and while I don't expect them to get his one, it is evident that many others absolutely do.

Friday night should be a great night of hoops at The Bank.