Covington Catholic/Newport predictions

Covington Catholic vs. Newport (9th Region Semifinals at BB&T Arena)  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Covington Catholic vs. Newport (9th Region Semifinals at BB&T Arena)

• Covington Catholic (25-7)
    • Newport (25-8)

Is the poll so close because people WANT Newport to win? Based on what you have seen, what makes people believe Newport can actually beat CovCath in this environment? This is what CovCath does. Experience.

People said the same thing in 2010 when Newport played Holmes. A 30 point beat down ensued. I’m not saying that’s what’s gonna happen tonight but things do happen.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an interesting stat on Newport. They have 8 losses. All 8 have been by double digits except a 5 point loss to St. Henry and a 9 point loss to Cooper. I don't know what to make of that except perhaps they are in trouble if CCH gets up by double digits early.

I think Newport has more offensive weapons than Cov Cath but this is the time of year when defense usually wins. Newport will have to bring their A game defense and rebounding to win this one. Harding had 19 the first time these teams played. That indicates the other Newport players need to step up and score. I could see this game being anything from a big win by Cov Cath to an upset victory by Newport. It depends on how Newport handles it all.

Here is an interesting stat on Newport. They have 8 losses. All 8 have been by double digits except a 5 point loss to St. Henry and a 9 point loss to Cooper. I don't know what to make of that except perhaps they are in trouble if CCH gets up by double digits early.

I think Newport has more offensive weapons than Cov Cath but this is the time of year when defense usually wins. Newport will have to bring their A game defense and rebounding to win this one. Harding had 19 the first time these teams played. That indicates the other Newport players need to step up and score. I could see this game being anything from a big win by Cov Cath to an upset victory by Newport. It depends on how Newport handles it all.

This. Experience is quite the factor.

Is the poll so close because people WANT Newport to win? Based on what you have seen, what makes people believe Newport can actually beat CovCath in this environment? This is what CovCath does. Experience.

This. Experience is quite the factor.

Experience didnt help them win the district over a team with basically no experience with district success in over 60 years.

I think the experience card is being over played here. This is not the same CovCath team and players who led them to a state title last year. That experience people mention had them losing at half in their first round district game, and then lost in the district championship.

Both teams have now played a regional game. Whatever butterflies Newport may have had for their first round game obviously didnt have much effect. Covcath may just win because their better, but imo experience wont be much of a factor in it.