Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Refs Dominate Games

Featured Replies

  • Author
I’ve watched a lot of 10th Region Boys and Girls games this year. I have seen a few bad calls, but never an overall poorly officiated game. What I am seeing are JV coaches riding the refs in the JV game so bad, it effects the varsity game initially, especially if the JV and Varsity officials share locker rooms. Not a good idea if you are a JV coach.

 

That should not affect the way a ref calls a game. This just shows that they let their feelings affect their officiating.

  • Replies 73
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
Varsity Officials get roughly $70 a game. Varies by Region. Typical work 30 games a season on average. Makes $2100. Coaches salaries are less???

 

Bottom line, fans go to games to root for their school. Foul go for them, they cheer. Foul goes against them, they boo. Always one AMAZING Option..... don’t like the way they officiate, Replace them with yourself. KHSAA is always looking for new zebras.

 

Most HS coaches make less than minimum wage and I doubt many make more than $10/hr.

As I said in my original post ..."I don't know any coaches that get paid that much" emphasis on I... I was just looking for some enlightenment. There are too many people on here that embellish. That's all!!! Just telling someone that YOU know of a lot of coaches making that money , is not a viable option for me, but hearing from other people, I can believe it. I am in only one part of the state .Different pay schedules for different schools, and sports ,I understand.I have just not seen it in my area. So I stand corrected. Thanks for the input gentlemen.

I think there are some that do, but the ones I am thinking of are also good officials.

 

I agree. I know of one official who is very good but thinks everyone came to see him. Too much banter with players and especially the fans. Quit trying to be cute and call the game

Referees are expected to be perfect and get better. That sums up the unfairness toward referees.

Referees are expected to be perfect and get better. That sums up the unfairness toward referees.

 

I would think that they expect that of themselves. They should want to get all the calls right and always be in the correct position. Just because they will never be perfect doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t strive for perfection.

 

Also, it is not unfair to expect them to get better.

 

But it is a hard job. A lot of people don’t realize how hard it is to officiate a game.

A good referee will admit when he/she misses a call, and not compound a missed call with a continued grudge or technical on a coach. Coaches definitely point out mistakes to players, and fans/parents/players get on coaches a lot . . . just not always publicly!

I'm not sure if two or three is the best number. I do know that when high school went to three officials it seemed to add a lot of inexperienced or incompetent officials into the varsity games. The pool of available, good officials became diluted. Similar to expansion in the major leagues leading to a lesser quality of baseball for a while. There are not enough good refs to go around.

I really think referee's do not work at the game near as hard as when it was just 2 calling the game. Lot's of them are not physcially prepared to do the game. They wait on each other in some instances to make a call since it's been 3 calling games. I personally witnessed games in Scott Co last night that some of the missed calls just from being out of position and guessing. Like i said, don't think lots of them work at being in position to call a game. Now with that being said i would not want their job.

I really think referee's do not work at the game near as hard as when it was just 2 calling the game. Lot's of them are not physcially prepared to do the game. They wait on each other in some instances to make a call since it's been 3 calling games. I personally witnessed games in Scott Co last night that some of the missed calls just from being out of position and guessing. Like i said, don't think lots of them work at being in position to call a game. Now with that being said i would not want their job.

 

Yes, I saw the Wayne County/FD game. The young ref I thought at times was in over his head and I have noticed this in some of his past games.

Yes they are evaluated but you would be surprised of the good ole boy system involved with these guys. Refs have a tight nit circle and take care of each other. Refs have a ton of control over coaches, players and fans and really don't have to answer for much of what they do.

 

Who hurt you?

Who hurt you?

LOL. Maybe you all have great refs in NKY. Come spend some time in the 12th/13th region you may have a different perspective. I would take AAU refs any day over these two regions.

LOL. Maybe you all have great refs in NKY. Come spend some time in the 12th/13th region you may have a different perspective. I would take AAU refs any day over these two regions.

 

You can always sign up to help them out.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.