Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If you are playing an inferior opponent should it be a race to 36?

Featured Replies

I think it should.

 

I think the superior team should try to get to 36 as quick as possible in the game. Additionally, I think the superior team should chart the results over the long term to use as a metric to measure their football program.

 

Agree? Disagree? How should Coaches handle it?

I think you should get to 36 quickly so you back ups and JV can get as much playing time as possible.

  • Author
I think you should get to 36 quickly so you back ups and JV can get as much playing time as possible.

 

Good point, that is one way you can improve your football program in what is mostly a throw away game.

Yeah, I would agree the superior team should get to 36 as quickly as possible and let the back ups/jv and freshman play the rest.

St. X has a running clock game coming up against Fairdale. Starters will probably only play one Quarter. Will be good opprtunity for back ups that don’t play much. I think in any game you try to score as fast as possible. It seems when teams get up to around 50 points ahead they really try not to run up score.

Play the game normally up through halftime running clock or not. Once you hit the running clock though, start subbing guys, key backups that you want to get reps with other first teamers, if the running clock happens before halftime or in the third quarter. Then in the second half (or 4th quarter depending on when you hit the running clock) all the starters sit and you turn the game over to the 2nd/3rd team.

Under current rules; agreed. My only caveat is the game-conditioning of my starters for when we face equal and superior opponents. Nothing can simulate game conditions IMO.

When did they start using a running clock for 36 pts? I feel like it was a bigger amount way back in the late 90’s?

When did they start using a running clock for 36 pts? I feel like it was a bigger amount way back in the late 90’s?

 

It stated out at 45 and was dropped to 36. I might be wrong but I think the mercy rule in Kentucky started in 2001.

It stated out at 45 and was dropped to 36. I might be wrong but I think the mercy rule in Kentucky started in 2001.

 

Thanks! I recalled beating plenty of teams by 36+ but couldn’t recall running clocks

Beechwood has put up a running clock in ever disctrict game since God knows when. How do the play it? Starters till half? I don't remember but their game plan seems to work pretty well as far as conditioning and letting others play before heading into playoffs

Absolutely. On 5th touchdown go for 2 to get it to 36. Begin getting starters out, ASAP. Healthier the kids are the better.

 

Running clocks are not normally had late playoffs so enjoy the quick nights when you can

Depends on where you are in the season. In the early weeks you want as many kids getting playing time as possible. Have to see what your backups can do with the #1's. Have to see where some of your own weaknesses are so you can improve on them. Have to see if somethings you may or may not use later will work.

 

The district part of the schedule gets tricky, still need to work on things, but also dont want any injuries, so you balance it.

 

Last 2 weeks of the regular season, you get there as fast as possible and go home.

 

I also think your roster size plays a part in this, the bigger the roster, the more players to get playing time for, the less running clocks you may want.

 

Also, when you play your JV games has a factor in this too. Many NKY teams play JV on Saturday mornings, you dont want to play your JV guys too long on Friday night, then play them again less than 12 hours later.

Under current rules; agreed. My only caveat is the game-conditioning of my starters for when we face equal and superior opponents. Nothing can simulate game conditions IMO.

 

A good coaching staff can make practice more than enough preparation for a game. Where I went and the coach I played for made sure practices were harder than games.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.