Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic 29 Highlands 27

Featured Replies

Without a doubt this was one of the best H.S. games that i have watched.Ironically last years matchup was equally as good!!

I thought that ALL of the kids played with LOTS of class which both these programs pride themselves on but sometimes it doesn't appear that way.

Thank goodness for this rivalry,it is Northern Ky football at its finest.

 

I think many of us thought this was going to come down to the last team with the ball was going to win and it was.No doubt that the next matchup should even be better because it is for all the marbles..............

 

By the way GO BIRDS!!!

  • Replies 159
  • Views 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was easily the best high school game I have ever watched.

 

Kramer was not as dominant as I expected, but Cecil and Conner both played incredibly well. Josh Conner is going to cause major problems for any team that HHS plays for the next few years. Either way, all 3 of them hit the holes very, very hard and right before they closed.

 

Honestly, I thought Highlands was outcoached tonight. The CCH Staff did a phenomenal job with the short slants and picking their spots to put Buckley in. Also, the failed fake punt and multiple onside/squib kickoffs gave CovCath a shorter field.

 

Brandon Brown is the best player on CovCath's team. Period. Running, defending, anything he does he does well.

 

Blesser played arguably the best game of his career tonight, and the receivers played quite well as well.

 

The CCH defensive line did a nice job, I really like what the coaches have done with continually rotating different guys in.

With all due respect to the fine folks from metro Paintsville.....

That's pretty funny.

 

Sounds like a great game by all. Congrats Cov Cath.

Great game by the Colonels. Boy, was that tough to type.

CCH coaches did a great job of prep, and the boys executed the plan to perfection. Great win for the Colonels.

 

I heard at the game and on this thread, some second guessing of HHS coaches. I think it will be important for the coaches, as well as the players, to step up for the rematch. No doubt they will.

 

I was surprised by our lack of pressure on the QB.

 

I thought Drew may have had a minor leg injury early in the game. Felt that accounted for the missed chip shot in the 1st qtr. I thought, no way would we intentionally short kick, over and over. I was wrong again. Might want to re-visit that strategy.

 

Since CCH's best wins seem to be in Ft. Thomas, traveling to the team from Park Hill's field might be a blessing.

Wow, I had to read almost to the end to finally find someone else who is questioning the Birds kickoffs!!!! The beginning of the year, Bathiany was kicking them out of the end zone! This might work against Grant or South Oldham, but for crying out loud, not against CovCath!!!! Why, why, why?
Common sense says you don't give a short field to a team with a guy who can kick field goals from the other end of town! :irked:

Definately the most exciting game I have ever attended. Not sure about some play calling by the Birds coaches. The fake punt is the main example. Why give momentum to Cov, Cath right off the bat? The Birds need to work hard this week and next to defend the pass or they may end up sitting out the balance of the playoffs. Cov. Cath has great receivers and a very good QB.

 

Great game both squads! I am looking forward to the re-match.

I will add that the CCH/HHS rivalry wouldnt be a rivalry if the Birds continued to win each and every time out.

 

You're kidding yourself.

 

When the team's chant from June until last night is "Beat Colonels," its still a rivalry and always will be.

There are some great posts on this thread made by some very objecive posters. I tried recommending Popham to UK, but got a note from someone( it was not a coach) stating that UK would not recruit a kicker. A couple of days later, they signed one.

Regarding the Highlands kick-offs, the fans tolerated the first couple of them even though it was obvious that it gave CovCath great field position and required them to go only a short distance before there were in Popham's range. The last 2 were greeted with boos from the Bluebird home crowd and the last of those two was a lusty BOO!

I am probably a majority of one, but I beleive that Joe Castenada is the best position player recruit in our area. He has played db forever and won't have to learn a new position in college. Highlands threw deep on him to end the half and he intercepted the ball, righted himself somehow and headed upfield and it was not easy to get him on the ground. Highlands did not throw in his direction often after that. No one has mentioned the fake punt. If that was called from the bench, someone needs to practice on Madden 07 for a while.

Your kidding right Colonel Fan, I guess if you go 9-0 versus Little Sisters of the poor your supposed to be rated higher than the two teams with the toughest schedules in the state

 

These two programs are great programs but, your arrogant comments about the eastern Ky teams are just crazy. Whoever wins this district will have their hands full with either JC, Bell or the Rock. I'm looking forward to round 3 whoever plays the NKY winner.

Dale got out coached AGAIN........You can't fake punt 4th and 8 or 9 from mid-field.....Especially when you bring in your back up lineman that are on the punt team.. KICK THE BALL for gods sake. You can't give CCH's kicker a short field every posession...I also know the Birds have to have more than 4 or 5 plays in their playbook....I am also was wondering why HHS can't cover a fullback or a tight end in the middle of the field. You would think they might of learned that from the Elder game.. I am just venting but Dale needs to step his game up....

These two programs are great programs but, your arrogant comments about the eastern Ky teams are just crazy. Whoever wins this district will have their hands full with either JC, Bell or the Rock. I'm looking forward to round 3 whoever plays the NKY winner.

 

Your higher elevation must have rendered you a bit light headed.

 

Hope springs eternal.

 

With the new districts set for 07. You have a great opportunity to schedule teams from NKY.

Your higher elevation must have rendered you a bit light headed.

 

Hope springs eternal.

 

With the new districts set for 07. You have a great opportunity to schedule teams from NKY.

 

I live in NKY so we are on equal elevations. I graduated from the Rock and remember the last time we played both of these teams. No one from NKY was bragging after those games. I have a lot of respect for both of these programs, but I hate arrogance from anyone. I have never said anything negative about NKY and I have never said that JC played as tuff of a schedule as the NKY teams. If you notice I do not post replies to most messages claiming that the NKY teams are top teams but when people start making comments like "Little Sisters of the Poor" then that is offensive to me. Sorry you feel the need to support those type of comments.

Of course all HHS fans were sickened by the outcome of game last night, but let's keep in mind that our boys played a great game and should be commended for their effort and sportsmanship. They should be very proud of the way they handled themselves. I know it's been a long time coming for the Colonels and can understand enthusiasm, however, I saw some behavior from Cov Cath fans after the game that was disgusting. They didn't seem to know how to handle a win with class. Anyway, hats off to both teams. Two weeks and counting....

I live in NKY so we are on equal elevations. I graduated from the Rock and remember the last time we played both of these teams. No one from NKY was bragging after those games. I have a lot of respect for both of these programs, but I hate arrogance from anyone. I have never said anything negative about NKY and I have never said that JC played as tuff of a schedule as the NKY teams. If you notice I do not post replies to most messages claiming that the NKY teams are top teams but when people start making comments like "Little Sisters of the Poor" then that is offensive to me. Sorry you feel the need to support those type of comments.

 

I think it makes your team stronger when you play strong competition. Helps you in the playoffs. Since we don't have computer rankings in KY (although the KHSAA might pick up on that bad idea) what possible reason is there to not scheduling teams that annually go deep into the playoffs?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.