Memphis Fires Tubby Smith

16thBBall Fan

Someone please sell me on Larry Brown. As someone that doesn't watch what assistants do or know the depth of their responsibilities, I don't know what he brings as a coach. I know he has extensive experience as a HC and could see him in a mentor type role, but outside of winning a "miracle" NCAA title with Kansas in 1988 he has been I believe a mediocre coach. Again there are a lot of really good coaches that just can't get the players to execute, I get that.

He took Chauncy Billups, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Tayshaun and company and beat Shaq, Kobe, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, and Derek Fisher for an NBA title. :lol:

Larry Brown has his baggage, but he is still a pretty darn good coach.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone please sell me on Larry Brown. As someone that doesn't watch what assistants do or know the depth of their responsibilities, I don't know what he brings as a coach. I know he has extensive experience as a HC and could see him in a mentor type role, but outside of winning a "miracle" NCAA title with Kansas in 1988 he has been I believe a mediocre coach. Again there are a lot of really good coaches that just can't get the players to execute, I get that.

Won an ncaa title. Won a NBA title. There are a lot of good coaches that don't even have one title in either league and he has two. Took 76ers to the NBA finals. Took the Pistons to another NBA finals. Made SMU a top 25 team while he was there. So yeah I would say he has shown to be at least a pretty darn good coach.

Sounds like Penny is already on track to bring in some real talent to Memphis. If he's actually able to coach at the college level it could get interesting.

Saw where Wichita State was going to grant the release for one of their recruits who had already signed his letter of intent, so that he could go back and play for Penny. Classy move, in my book, by Greg Marshall.

Saw where Wichita State was going to grant the release for one of their recruits who had already signed his letter of intent, so that he could go back and play for Penny. Classy move, in my book, by Greg Marshall.

I thought so too, seems like that's pretty rare. Particularly for in conference rivals.

Most times coaches dig in and try to win battles they can not win; however, Marshall did the right thing. Once Penny got job Alex Lomax was never going to play at Wichita State.

He took Chauncy Billups, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Tayshaun and company and beat Shaq, Kobe, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, and Derek Fisher for an NBA title. :lol:

Larry Brown has his baggage, but he is still a pretty darn good coach.

I loved watching that Detroit Pistons team.

I am a UK fan second after Memphis...so I say this with love.

Now UK fans can have someone new to hate since Pitino is gone from Louisville and the Calipari they hated when he was at Memphis is now their own.

Guess I am in the minority. Been a Calipari fan since his days at Massachusetts. Cheered for Memphis to win it all while he was there if UK couldn’t.

Edited by Mack The Knife

• 3 weeks later...

And less than a month in and we already have the AD & Penny at odds over the hiring of Larry Brown.

AD will allow him to be hired as a consultant. Penny wants him as an assistant.

Never a good sign when the HC and AD are at odds before practice has even began. :lol2: