McDaniels Turns Indianapolis Down

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schefter tweeted out that a source told him that this is all about Robert Kraft screwing over the Colts because he’s still not over the deflate gate.

I saw that, and somewhat felt that could be the case when it seemed McDaniels was hedging the past day or two. I took the tweet to mean it was more speculative in nature, fwiw. Kraft is still a league guy.

I feel for the coordinators who left their jobs in the hopes of a job with the Colts. This smells like a Kraft power play to me, he could have sweetened the deal way before all of this went down. He'll end up following Hoodie and will fail and never again see a HC job.

Wow, my guess is that Kraft promised he would get the head coaching job when Belichick leaves...but really, do you really want to follow Belichick? Especially with Brady gone or on his way out?? That is the definition of a no win situation.

I cannot even imagine how ticked off the Colts are. They could have had another coach 3 or 4 weeks ago...if Kraft did this to stick it to the Colts, I LOVE it.

Wow, my guess is that Kraft promised he would get the head coaching job when Belichick leaves...but really, do you really want to follow Belichick? Especially with Brady gone or on his way out?? That is the definition of a no win situation.

I cannot even imagine how ticked off the Colts are. They could have had another coach 3 or 4 weeks ago...if Kraft did this to stick it to the Colts, I LOVE it.

Organizational integrity is much more important than people realize. Maybe the top factor outside of the QB and coach of a franchise. Yes, Belichik will be a tough act to follow, but maybe that is less of a long term gamble than playing for Irsay??? Either way, McDaniels has basically shut the door on himself landing elsewhere because of this move. This article lays it out better than I can articulate:

Josh McDaniels Walks Away from Colts to Stay with Bill Belichick, Patriots | SI.com

McDaniels’s decision now makes him unhirable anywhere other than Foxborough. He leaves behind at least two coaches—Matt Eberflus and Mike Phair—who already left other gigs to join him with the Colts, according to the Adam Schefter report. He sets himself up to become the type of suspicious, secret-hoarding personality that attracts certain football minds but causes the rest of the league to approach with hazmat suits. Maybe he’s in line to succeed Belichick, but if that doesn’t work out, who would ever hire him again? Is that the safest bet with Tom Brady eclipsing 40?

I feel for the coordinators who left their jobs in the hopes of a job with the Colts. This smells like a Kraft power play to me, he could have sweetened the deal way before all of this went down. He'll end up following Hoodie and will fail and never again see a HC job.

I got a feeling that this will work out much better for McDaniels in the long run.

That's what I'm thinking... How good is the NE job without Brady?

That's what I'm thinking... How good is the NE job without Brady?

Not nearly as good. But again, it gets back to organizational stability and integrity. It is why when Big Ben retires and Tomlin is gone, the Pittsburgh organization is a strong one to make the job attractive. Irsay is a bozo and runs his organization like one. The only thing making that job attractive is 1) It is an NFL head coaching job, and 2) The potential Luck turns into something special.

Let's be honest. Whether he went to the Colts or stays with NE, he has to be successful. If he went to the Colts and bombed, I doubt he would get another head coaching opportunity. Wherever he lands is probably going to be his last shot at being the head guy. Even though he'd be following a legend at NE, at least he built some credit there, and will get a least a few years to prove himself. That's not a guarantee anywhere else.