McDaniels Turns Indianapolis Down

a} Easier to stay where you are than move both organizationally and personally.

b) In the long run New England a better ownership position than Indy.

c) If it were me, I'd rather live in New England than Indy.

d) I read a great tweet that stated the Indy organization is deflated by this.

I'd agree to everything but ©. Indy is an awesome city. I'd take that over Boston.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is Cleveland has remained a complete failure since. Denver won a superbowl like 3 years later. I mean the dude drafted Tebow in the 1st round.

Belichick as a failure in Cleveland is grossly overblown. Cleveland beat New England in the 1994-95 Wild Card game, so he had a playoff win.

On the other hand, for people killing McDaniel for the Tebow pick, Bill wasn't really blowing up the draft board. He drafted 1 Pro Bowler in his time in Cleveland. He also was a complete failure.

Belichick as a failure in Cleveland is grossly overblown. Cleveland beat New England in the 1994-95 Wild Card game, so he had a playoff win.

On the other hand, for people killing McDaniel for the Tebow pick, Bill wasn't really blowing up the draft board. He drafted 1 Pro Bowler in his time in Cleveland. He also was a complete failure.

Well really wasn't Bill until Brady started so who knows what happens if Bledsoe never goes down.

I'd agree to everything but ©. Indy is an awesome city. I'd take that over Boston.

I am sure we all have our preferences. I lived 10 years very close to Foxboro, and although it is an expensive place to buy a house, it was a great place to live...the ocean, cape, history, seafood, etc. I have never lived in Indy, so I am unqualified to compare.

The final straw for McDaniels in Denver was the team’s videographer filming the 49ers walkthrough (sounds familiar). Denver ownership was embarrassed by the incident. He was out not long thereafter. Sure if he was winning things would have been different, but it was still a bad look.

I hadn't heard that but I guess he was following BB's blueprint down to the smallest detail.

For the record, BB wasn't a failure in Cleveland. He made it to the playoffs. He built a formidable defense. He didn't yet have offense figured out. He benched Bernie Kosar, Cleveland's favorite son even if he was from near Youngstown, and then he traded him. That was the unforgivable sin. It was compounded when Modell took the team to Baltimore and BB was the HC.

Belichick's "failure" came when Modell fired him without giving him an opportunity to coach in Baltimore. BB was fired 6 days after the NFL approved the move to Baltimore and before Baltimore had a name. It was Feb. 15, 1996. Ted Marchibroda was the first coach of the new franchise in Baltimore.

Didn't Belichik pull the same shenanigans with the Jets? Or was that Parcells? Regardless, one of those two changed his mind on a head coaching job and I don't think it had much impact on their career.

Actually it's starting to look like McDaniels is modeling his career path after Belichick... Failure in his first go-round as a head coach and getting fired, jerking around a team that offered him a head coaching job, being an assistant for a Hall of Fame coach...

He didn’t hire two coaches away from other teams. Not cool.

Organizational integrity is much more important than people realize. Maybe the top factor outside of the QB and coach of a franchise. Yes, Belichik will be a tough act to follow, but maybe that is less of a long term gamble than playing for Irsay??? Either way, McDaniels has basically shut the door on himself landing elsewhere because of this move. This article lays it out better than I can articulate:

Josh McDaniels Walks Away from Colts to Stay with Bill Belichick, Patriots | SI.com

McDaniels’s decision now makes him unhirable anywhere other than Foxborough. He leaves behind at least two coaches—Matt Eberflus and Mike Phair—who already left other gigs to join him with the Colts, according to the Adam Schefter report. He sets himself up to become the type of suspicious, secret-hoarding personality that attracts certain football minds but causes the rest of the league to approach with hazmat suits. Maybe he’s in line to succeed Belichick, but if that doesn’t work out, who would ever hire him again? Is that the safest bet with Tom Brady eclipsing 40?

George Seifert has two SB rings as a HC.

Indy looks no different than any other Rust Belt town. In other words, it's nothing special. Boston has history and a real pulse. And the ocean, which leads to great food. Boston cares about its sports teams no matter what. Indy is all-in as long as they're winning. Or if Peyton Manning is involved.

Indy looks no different than any other Rust Belt town. In other words, it's nothing special. Boston has history and a real pulse. And the ocean, which leads to great food. Boston cares about its sports teams no matter what. Indy is all-in as long as they're winning. Or if Peyton Manning is involved.

When were you there last? Indy has turned it around the last 4 to 5 years. I am not a fan of huge cities. Boston has far too many people for me. If I am raising a family as a coach, you can do far worse than raising them in Carmel

Did Bill run the draft in Cleveland?

Did Bill run the draft in Cleveland?

I can't find anything real solid on this. All I know is that Ernie Accorsi was the GM and VP of football operations. I believe he would have been responsible for the draft, with input from BB, I'm sure.

One other thing Belichick would have learned while in Cleveland, place a premium on accuracy in your QB. While in Cleveland, he benched, then traded Kosar in favor of Vinnie Testaverde. He had a big arm and was athletic. Not very accurate.

When were you there last? Indy has turned it around the last 4 to 5 years. I am not a fan of huge cities. Boston has far too many people for me. If I am raising a family as a coach, you can do far worse than raising them in Carmel

Indy also has grounded, nice people like most rust belt cities. I can’t use the words I would like to for the elitist, arrogant, boorish people of Boston. Been there 3 times. Never going back. I visit Indy couple times a year. Really enjoy it