January 25, 20188 yr I think that is the best arguement for not hammering them. If Pitino or Jurich had stayed I think they would have deserved to get mauled by the NCAA...with both and other coaches gone I think probation would be enough. But the fact that they were already in trouble may weigh more than anything else. I agree on all points.
January 25, 20188 yr Do you think they will or should get additional punishment for the Bowen situation? I don’t see how they don’t, but that is outside the scope of what they’re dealing with today. I have a lot of thoughts about how the NCAA might handle the Adidas situation and my arguments are similar: the coach is gone, the AD is gone. Heck, the president of the university and even the Board of Trustees are all gone. Now the latter two had little to do with the athletics malfeasance, but still. Everyone responsible is gone. Don’t know what else Louisville can do at this point aside from suspend the basketball program and I think the NCAA will be far less willing to delve into its own relationship with the shoe companies than they were UofL’s on-campus strip joint.
January 25, 20188 yr I think they will but don't think they should. The kid isn't here and neither is anybody that could have been responsible for trying to get him here. I think this is where I am as well. Punish those that did the cheating, severely. Not a institution where it happened. Sometimes the institution has to take a hit but not on something like Bowen.
January 25, 20188 yr Sorry, my comment said UL but was more in general. Let's say Cal paid Anthony Davis to come to UK, other wise he wouldn't have come. If that came don't you think UK should lose that title? It's no different than stripping an Olympic athlete of their gold for PED's. They would not have won it with out cheating. Why should they get to keep it. And I sure won't recognize them as the champ if they cheated. Each scenario is different. I was thinking solely in UL’s case in my question. In a case where a player who played in the title game is ruled ineligible for whatever reason then strip the title. In UL’s case everyone was eligible.
January 25, 20188 yr Used strippers/prostitutes to recruit players and parents. Provided extra benefits to some current players (Strippers/Prostitutes). If a player comes to a school and the school gives them a car after they get there to keep them happy, wouldn't that count as cheating? Car=Prostitute as far as extra benefits go. Without those players, they never win the title. I thought the strippers began that year. If that was the case then the strippers weren’t used to recruit anyone on that team.
January 25, 20188 yr I can understand that thinking, but how would you punish a team like Texas Football...they have all the cash in the world and would just pay the yearly fines if they could keep on winning. At some point you have to go after the offending program or schools would just pay fines and keep on playing and breaking the rules as if nothing ever happened. The good thing is I believe the NCAA allows players to transfer freely if their school gets major penalties, that way the players that did nothing have a chance to move on and not be punished for the actions of others before them. In the end the only people really punished are the fans. Coaches can get another job, players can transfer, high roller donors will help pay penalties...but it's the fans that get left with a destroyed program. I don't care how much money a program has, $15MM is a lot of money. These coaches are treated like a corporate CEO. Say a company comes up with a new product and sales are great. But the infrastructure is in shambles and the company finishes the year in the red, changes would be made to correct it.
January 25, 20188 yr Absolutely. Watched it happen. Have a framed Courier-Journal from the next day hanging in my office. Will continue to wear my championship shirt. I have a piece of the floor autographed by Rick Pitino in my office. :lol2:. I'll keep it proudly displayed.
January 25, 20188 yr I have a piece of the table cloth autographed by Rick Pitino in my office. :lol2:. I'll keep it proudly displayed. Wow. I had no idea you'd want such a thing. :sssh::popcorn::popcorn:
January 25, 20188 yr Wow. I had no idea you'd want such a thing. :sssh::popcorn::popcorn: You can have your fun. But Karma...
January 25, 20188 yr You can have your fun. But Karma... Maybe all of this was karma from 1989. :lol2:
January 25, 20188 yr I'm actually a bit surprised that UL is being hit so hard by the NCAA. For one, I never really thought the title would get yanked, 15 million seems a bit high as well. It was completely stupid of UL to do what they did, but who really believes that strippers and prostitutes actually landed them any recruits? Those kids could have done just as well or better when it comes to females, without the help of the UL athletic department. The only thing the strippers may have had over the coeds on campus is they probably have more experience working a pole.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.