Should Highlands request to play up in 5A for the 2019-2022 Football Seasons?

theguru

LOL. The old Cakeeaters need to grow up a bit, your Schwinn bycycles and Burr haircuts are outdated before Mueller was there. How many state rings did they win with Burr haircuts before Dale was there? Not many.

They won plenty. I rode my Schwinn bicycle with my burr haircut to the first ever team in the state of Kentucky to be 15-0. That team was also the first to ever be ranked in the top 25 in the nation. This was at a time when everyone did not get a trophy and the state of football was not "watered" down by adding 2 more classes so that everyone could say they made an "appearance" in the playoffs.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone got their “feathers” ruffled Oscar!!!

I tend to agree, if ego is the only reason to play up, why play up if you’re not winning? Play in the class you’re assigned unless it is truly a financial reason not to.

Side question: When was the first year our dear Birds played up? And when was the option first presented by the KHSAA?

Not that it matters, but what would the 4A district look like if Highlands were told they had to play in 4A?

5A if they were allowed to play up?

In another thread someone projected:

4A Holmes, Scott, Bourbon, Harrison

5A CCH, Boone, Cooper, Conner

They won plenty. I rode my Schwinn bicycle with my burr haircut to the first ever team in the state of Kentucky to be 15-0. That team was also the first to ever be ranked in the top 25 in the nation. This was at a time when everyone did not get a trophy and the state of football was not "watered" down by adding 2 more classes so that everyone could say they made an "appearance" in the playoffs.

What year was this?

What year was this?

1982 was the year. Also defeated the mighty 4A champions that year from Christian County.

The funny thing with all of the comments in this thread are that most of them are made by "outsiders" who have no idea about the history of the program beyond what they can read about on this very website.

Highlands has played football for 100+ years and has won 23 state titles since the KHSAA started recognizing them in the very early 60's. They have won them before Dale Mueller and they have won them after Dale Mueller. And they will win them again.

I supported them keeping him on and I'd like to see them play up in 5A.

I support keeping him on but I guarantee he’ll be gone much quicker if they play in 5A. I’m not sold that at the point the Highlands program is currently at that they will be able to remain amongst the top dogs in 5A. I don’t understand why it is an insult to be a top dog in 4A.

I support keeping him on but I guarantee he’ll be gone much quicker if they play in 5A. I’m not sold that at the point the Highlands program is currently at that they will be able to remain amongst the top dogs in 5A. I don’t understand why it is an insult to be a top dog in 4A.

Because really if you are not playing in 6A and named T then you ain’t top dog.

It would be like half of the school falling down at T and them asking to drop to 4 or 5A because they want everyone to feel sorry for them...

The hard core alumn would go bananas and the rest of the state would cry foul

Highlands knows how to be top dog, been there and done that, they have just forgot how to be top dog

1982 was the year. Also defeated the mighty 4A champions that year from Christian County.

The funny thing with all of the comments in this thread are that most of them are made by "outsiders" who have no idea about the history of the program beyond what they can read about on this very website.

Highlands has played football for 100+ years and has won 23 state titles since the KHSAA started recognizing them in the very early 60's. They have won them before Dale Mueller and they have won them after Dale Mueller. And they will win them again.

JOAT, how dare you throw this type of stuff out there.

According to some recent conversations of team parents, these are unrealistic types of accomplishments that have been hindering and holding back the Highlands kids. Most are stating that the bar has been set too high and it’s not fair to ask their kids to maintain the level of play

Heck one parent told me that he holds Dale 100% responsible for BW failure and that no coach will ever win again at Highlands, lol.

That was one heck of a run in the early 80s. Very well could have won 4 in a row and definitely would have with 6 classes

Just my opinion but I honestly think the issue here for Highlands is that teams have caught up, and in many cases past them, either by talent and in some cases coaching. I can remember a time when many teams avoided HHS like the plague or “feared” the mystique and quite honestly that is gone. Teams got better and certainly players in NKY are saying they can go play for other schools that can not only compete but beat HHS. I don’t see how staying in 5A helps their cause to countermeasuring the problem if they view there to be one. The BGs, SWs, and CCHs look to be very strong for a while IMO and if some smaller, but stronger, 6A schools come down to 5A their current condition may not improve or get even worse.

Just my opinion but I honestly think the issue here for Highlands is that teams have caught up, and in many cases past them, either by talent and in some cases coaching. I can remember a time when many teams avoided HHS like the plague or “feared” the mystique and quite honestly that is gone. Teams got better and certainly players in NKY are saying they can go play for other schools that can not only compete but beat HHS. I don’t see how staying in 5A helps their cause to countermeasuring the problem if they view there to be one. The BGs, SWs, and CCHs look to be very strong for a while IMO and if some smaller, but stronger, 6A schools come down to 5A their current condition may not improve or get even worse.

You make great points and to the amazement of some on here I will have to agree with a lot of what you are stating.

Now of course you are looking in from the outside which is ok and I am ok with your opinion but the reality is the talent is there so everything else you have stated is spot on with the exception of the talent thingy and dropping to 4A.

For Highlands, the talent excuses and classification arguments really don’t matter imo

Because really if you are not playing in 6A and named T then you ain’t top dog.

It would be like half of the school falling down at T and them asking to drop to 4 or 5A because they want everyone to feel sorry for them...

The hard core alumn would go bananas and the rest of the state would cry foul

Highlands knows how to be top dog, been there and done that, they have just forgot how to be top dog

Ehhhh, I think everyone has caught up with or passed Highlands. You don’t forget how to be top dog. Some dogs just become bigger dogs as they age.

For me it's a matter of there being much more interesting teams in 5A. The possible district for 4A is pretty uninspiring.