Should Highlands request to play up in 5A for the 2019-2022 Football Seasons?

theguru

I'm in the camp that feels like the best decision would be to play in 4A, rather than playing up. If things are looking great after the next alignment, then make the decision to play up again. Highlands has been on a downward trend and 5A, with the new alignment will be loaded. Why not spend some time in the class they fall in and build some excitement around the program, then figure out where to go from there?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents is drop down to 4A until the program gets back on track then go back up to 5A like Guru suggested. I know it will be tough not being in the same district with CovCath for the first time in a while. But the teams would still play each other so the rivalry would continue on.

Highlands Record by Opponent's Class over last 3 years in 5A:

vs. 6A 3-3

vs. 5A 3-2

vs. 3A 0-1

vs. 6A 2-5

vs. 5A 1-3

vs. 6A 2-5

vs. 5A 6-1 (state semi-finalist)

Overall

vs. 6A 7-13

vs. 5A 10-6 with one state semi-finalist

vs. 3A 0-1

Looking at the bold ... why should Highlands drop to 4A? They have 7 wins over 6A schools and a strong 10-6 record versus 5A schools with a final four.

My two cents is drop down to 4A until the program gets back on track then go back up to 5A like Guru suggested. I know it will be tough not being in the same district with CovCath for the first time in a while. But the teams would still play each other so the rivalry would continue on.

This is just silly talk. Iam disappointed that you are wanting Highlands to take the easy way out and not step up to the plate and just work harder. #everyonegetsatrophy #MHFGA

Edited by Jumper_Dad
R5

Wow!!! So if Highlands drops to 4A and doesn’t work out or doesn’t fit BW coaching style etc do they just go ahead and drop to 3A the next go round...

To be the best you have to beat the best and Highlands has beaten every single team they have ever played regardless of class or size at least once including teams named T/X/Male/Christian Cty/ BG and so on and so on.

I believe there has only been maybe 2 or 3 teams they have never beaten in 100 Plus yrs and that is because they only played that team once

I hope the administration at Highlands doesn’t lower their standards any further #suckitupbuttercups

By the way, Covington Catholic has 8 wins over 6A schools in the past three years. Just one more than Highlands. Two years ago under Eddie Eviston, CCH went 5-8 and lost by 3 TD's to Highlands in the playoffs. Just sayin" .... :)

Lol, good to hear...but you do know that Eddie was trying to fix a problem and he fixed it in just 3 yrs and basically went from bottom to top

On the other hand, nothing was wrong with Highlands 3 yrs ago and they have now gone from the top to the bottom...

For me, just doing the simple math, the soonest recovery time is 3 more yrs but of course this is based on major changes of philosophy...

Lol, good to hear...but you do know that Eddie was trying to fix a problem and he fixed it in just 3 yrs and basically went from bottom to top

On the other hand, nothing was wrong with Highlands 3 yrs ago and they have now gone from the top to the bottom...

For me, just doing the simple math, the soonest recovery time is 3 more yrs but of course this is based on major changes of philosophy...

Was last season year one in the recovery?

Was last season year one in the recovery?

Ok I will play. No, IMO this coming season will be defined as the 1st yr of recovery...

But of course I have to think that the major changes and philosophical mentality will show and support the fact that Highlands will be in yr 1 of recovery.

Those outside or not close will not necessarily see it but to those in the know, they will recognize it and will make sure everyone knows it

By the way, Covington Catholic has 8 wins over 6A schools in the past three years. Just one more than Highlands. Two years ago under Eddie Eviston, CCH went 5-8 and lost by 3 TD's to Highlands in the playoffs. Just sayin" .... :)

You know I respect your opinion and for good reason. I feel like it's not as cut and dry as the information you're providing though. Highlands is in a slump and hasn't shown any indication that they are rising out of that slump. Cov Cath on the other hand made huge strides in 2016 but still weren't there yet. In 2017 they brought home the hardware but it had a lot to do with something that Highlands has not shown during that time frame. Unless Highlands has a star in the making and can figure out their issues on defense, they would be better off playing in the class that their enrollment numbers put them in.

You know I respect your opinion and for good reason. I feel like it's not as cut and dry as the information you're providing though. Highlands is in a slump and hasn't shown any indication that they are rising out of that slump. Cov Cath on the other hand made huge strides in 2016 but still weren't there yet. In 2017 they brought home the hardware but it had a lot to do with something that Highlands has not shown during that time frame. Unless Highlands has a star in the making and can figure out their issues on defense, they would be better off playing in the class that their enrollment numbers put them in.

So instead of fixing problems/working harder and trying to improve, just give up?

When CCH had down years, was there ever talk of them going down a class?

If moving down doesn't work, is Highlands going to start asking for participation trophies from the KHSAA?