November 30, 20178 yr How many people have heard a comment by somebody saying how do we know these women aren't making this up? I know I have heard several people make that comment. All the statistics I have seen on that are that it is very rare for a woman to make it up. Think about it. Why would any of these women subject themselves to all of this scrutiny? Victims most frequently don't report it because they are afraid they will be victimized themselves again. And yet people think somebody would make it up. if you hear someone insinuate that a woman is making it up, call them on it. Tell them that is not true. Women do not make these things up. So the Duke Lacrosse rape allegations never happened? Ever heard of Brian Banks? I suggest you google his story. It's very rare I agree, but to say it doesn't happen as you have, is well 100% inaccurate.
November 30, 20178 yr A lot of women won't admit that they have probably crossed the line...but they have. Not to devalue what challenges women have traditionally had at the hands of pushy men, I indeed hear what you're saying here loud and clear, and find it interesting that your comment went mostly unnoticed. While we're now as a society finally holding men responsible (and no doubt if has been predominantly a male problem), it's being mostly unrecognized that women have been getting away with crossing the line, and even in light of all of this, still are because it would be deemed weak of a man to report such indiscretions, nor does the current culture and temperature facilitate the comfortable environment to do so. I've seen some women in action who have exercised a power trip of sorts embarrassing more or less shyer type men knowing that they could get away with it, and that it would no doubt go unreported, not because the guy liked it, but was too embarrassed to say anything.
November 30, 20178 yr At first report I always take up for these guys, then it always comes out that they expose themselves,etc. I mean who in that position does that? I've never heard the average Joe Schmoe even do some of those things that are alleged. Money and power. If you have the power and you are brInging in money, you can get away with pretty much anything.
November 30, 20178 yr A lot of men won't admit that they have probably crossed the line ... but they have. I can assure you that I would help throw your assessment off by not being one of them... (who have crossed the line with women, that is)....:sssh: Truly though I'm well behaved in my camp as well. No doubt there's examples of smarmy gays who can't keep their comments or hands to themselves, but I've never taken any delight in such things. Most gays do know however that there's a bit of a crafty art in speaking to someone that suits your fancy to "feel them out" so to speak, without being too ridiculously obvious. We don't always have the benefit of knowing with any certainty, and even if we did that's no guarantee either that there's mutual interest. Some are better at it than others, while some think that they're being clever while their actions scream "SMARMY!!!". I've been in situations before where some weirdos assume that just because you're gay they can freely just start grabbing at you as if "What's the big deal?", where I'd have to smack their hand away where in truth they were lucky that I didn't knock them the hell out. Only speaking for myself, the situations that I have ever been in with weirdos like I've described, I hold no long term damaged feelings about it as if I feel eternally shamed and my life has been destroyed. Though I didn't at all appreciate it, I was over it in a heartbeat. With that said, it's understandable that others could have a much different and disturbing psychological reaction to being sexually harassed and/or violated.
November 30, 20178 yr So the Duke Lacrosse rape allegations never happened? Ever heard of Brian Banks? I suggest you google his story. It's very rare I agree, but to say it doesn't happen as you have, is well 100% inaccurate. Did you read my post? Read it again please and then read your reply.
November 30, 20178 yr Did you read my post? Read it again please and then read your reply. It fits. You said women don't make these things up. In most instances that's correct, but it's important to accurately point out that there are times when they do. And it's those instances that cause people to question whether what is being reported is true or not.
November 30, 20178 yr It fits. You said women don't make these things up. In most instances that's correct, but it's important to accurately point out that there are times when they do. And it's those instances that cause people to question whether what is being reported is true or not. Okay. Whatever. I said it is very rare. You said it is very rare. Moving on.
November 30, 20178 yr Okay. Whatever. I said it is very rare. You said it is very rare. Moving on. Very rare doesn't mean we should just dismiss the times it does happen. You asked why people would question or think that the allegations were made up. I gave you instances and examples as to why people sometimes don't automatically believe every allegation. I mean Brian Banks life was ruined because everyone just assumed the "victim" was telling the truth.
December 1, 20178 yr It fits. You said women don't make these things up. In most instances that's correct, but it's important to accurately point out that there are times when they do. And it's those instances that cause people to question whether what is being reported is true or not. These are tough situations, because sometimes there's nothing more than the victim's word as evidence. You don't want to ruin someone's life with no proof, but at the same time you don't want to take things lightly either.
December 1, 20178 yr Okay. Whatever. I said it is very rare. You said it is very rare. Moving on. You said it didn’t happen. And yet people think somebody would make it up. if you hear someone insinuate that a woman is making it up, call them on it. Tell them that is not true. Women do not make these things up.
December 1, 20178 yr A lot of men won't admit that they have probably crossed the line ... but they have. To be fair so have women, but lets be honest about it, most men aren't offended by a woman crossing the line with them. That said, I don't want anyone thinking I'm saying it's the same, it's not. Women have gone through way too much abuse over the years, it's past time for it to stop.
December 1, 20178 yr To be fair so have women, but lets be honest about it, most men aren't offended by a woman crossing the line with them. That said, I don't want anyone thinking I'm saying it's the same, it's not. Women have gone through way too much abuse over the years, it's past time for it to stop. And if a man were truly offended, he would never be take seriously.
December 1, 20178 yr How many people have heard a comment by somebody saying how do we know these women aren't making this up? I know I have heard several people make that comment. All the statistics I have seen on that are that it is very rare for a woman to make it up. Think about it. Why would any of these women subject themselves to all of this scrutiny? Victims most frequently don't report it because they are afraid they will be victimized themselves again. And yet people think somebody would make it up. if you hear someone insinuate that a woman is making it up, call them on it. Tell them that is not true. Women do not make these things up. You said it didn’t happen. [/b] Nice selective editing TheDeuce. Only used the part of my post that makes your point. Dare I use the out of context description here? But, to avoid any confusion for some, perhaps I will vet my posts through my attorneys going forward. As noted in bold above, I said very rare earlier in the exact same post. However, to make my position exactly clear to everyone, I guess I should have added in very rare to the last line as well and written the last line to say: "Only in very rare situations do women make these things up." Are we good now? :idunno: To reiterate my key point, we should err on the side of the women when they make these claims. Yes, they need to offer some proof but believe them first, acknowledge their courage for coming forward, offer support and then verify. We should not make women the victim again by immediately questioning them as if they are making it up and/or then attacking them. In fact, we should believe them until there is some clear reason not to.
December 1, 20178 yr Nice selective editing TheDeuce. Only used the part of my post that makes your point. Dare I use the out of context description here? But, to avoid any confusion for some, perhaps I will vet my posts through my attorneys going forward. As noted in bold above, I said very rare earlier in the exact same post. However, to make my position exactly clear to everyone, I guess I should have added in very rare to the last line as well and written the last line to say: "Only in very rare situations do women make these things up." Are we good now? :idunno: To reiterate my key point, we should err on the side of the women when they make these claims. Yes, they need to offer some proof but believe them first, acknowledge their courage for coming forward, offer support and then verify. We should not make women the victim again by immediately questioning them as if they are making it up and/or then attacking them. In fact, we should believe them until there is some clear reason not to. I'm not saying you are wrong but how do you know that it is rare? How many complaints each year are proven false? We typically just hear about the high profile cases and pretty much anyone caught up in the storm that is going on now will be guilty until proven innocent.
December 1, 20178 yr To be fair so have women, but lets be honest about it, most men aren't offended by a woman crossing the line with them. That said, I don't want anyone thinking I'm saying it's the same, it's not. Women have gone through way too much abuse over the years, it's past time for it to stop. Had this discussion at the lodge the other night. I said, and I quote, "I've never been interested in a woman who wasn't interested in me".
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.