November 29, 20178 yr OK. I would caution you that just because your former company was good at it, doesn't mean that it isn't a societal issue. I agree it is a huge societal issue but the responsibility/blame for poor enforcement is on the company, not society.
November 29, 20178 yr I agree it is a huge societal issue but the responsibility/blame for poor enforcement is on the company, not society. I would agree, but add the caveat that societal norms have largely driven both policy and enforcement in the past. And again, that's why I said it is day to day where culture is changed.
November 29, 20178 yr I would agree, but add the caveat that societal norms have largely driven both policy and enforcement in the past. And again, that's why I said it is day to day where culture is changed. I think you had it right to start, your companies have just been going through the motions...
November 29, 20178 yr There are a lot of men with power out there who know they have done bad things probably sweating right now. There are also many scorned women out there who may have had things done to them inappropriately and never said a word now coming out to make people pay. You made your bed fellas now you have to lay in it. If you acted like a PIG then you will get treated like one. The days of treating women like they are beneath you are over.
November 29, 20178 yr Most men? Get out of here with that crap. Not necessarily Weinstein or Cosby stuff, but a flirtation or a comment that may have crossed a line... Yep, I stick to my claim.
November 29, 20178 yr A lot of men won't admit that they have probably crossed the line ... but they have.
November 29, 20178 yr I think you had it right to start, your companies have just been going through the motions... I'm not quite sure why you are intent on making me look like I am "wrong ", but so be it. You are welcome to the last word
November 29, 20178 yr So what did he do exactly? I am sure most of us are interested in finding out. I especially want to hear about the additional speculation NBC offered up about it maybe not being an isolated incident.
November 29, 20178 yr Have seen this going around a lot on Facebook. Most are saying it's proof there's been something going on for awhile. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3leoXBel_M
November 29, 20178 yr A lot of men won't admit that they have probably crossed the line ... but they have. A lot of women won't admit that they have probably crossed the line...but they have.
November 29, 20178 yr So what did he do exactly? This gives some details. Matt Lauer Accused of Sexual Harassment by Multiple Women (EXCLUSIVE) – Variety As the co-host of NBC’s “Today,” Matt Lauer once gave a colleague a sex toy as a present. It included an explicit note about how he wanted to use it on her, which left her mortified. On another day, he summoned a different female employee to his office, and then dropped his pants, showing her his penis. After the employee declined to do anything, visibly shaken, he reprimanded her for not engaging in a sexual act.
November 29, 20178 yr This gives some details. Matt Lauer Accused of Sexual Harassment by Multiple Women (EXCLUSIVE) – Variety As the co-host of NBC’s “Today,” Matt Lauer once gave a colleague a sex toy as a present. It included an explicit note about how he wanted to use it on her, which left her mortified. On another day, he summoned a different female employee to his office, and then dropped his pants, showing her his penis. After the employee declined to do anything, visibly shaken, he reprimanded her for not engaging in a sexual act. That article blows Lauer up! WoW
November 29, 20178 yr This gives some details. Matt Lauer Accused of Sexual Harassment by Multiple Women (EXCLUSIVE) – Variety As the co-host of NBC’s “Today,” Matt Lauer once gave a colleague a sex toy as a present. It included an explicit note about how he wanted to use it on her, which left her mortified. On another day, he summoned a different female employee to his office, and then dropped his pants, showing her his penis. After the employee declined to do anything, visibly shaken, he reprimanded her for not engaging in a sexual act. So what took so long to report it? Thats what I dont get about some of this, why not report it when it happens.
November 29, 20178 yr No, what has failed is that societally, we have been stuck in the dark ages. We are only now giving credibility to the accusers at the time the accusations. In the past, sexual abuse or harrassment had to be proven by the victim, not defended by the accused. In addition, even now, the perception of what is or isn't over the line appears to be considered subjective. People have been afraid to come forward because those who have have often been destroyed. They've lost their jobs, had their reputations impugned, and often, if they kept their jobs, been forced to continue having to deal with the person who committed the offense. I have been thinking back over my career. There are some people I know that are likely a little worried about their pasts. And there are some who likely aren't, but definitely should be. I understand your concerns here. Yes, victims have been shamed in the past and so this kind of behavior still exists today. However, I don't think the reversal of the burden of proof on the accuser is a good direction to go. Accusations are easy to make and hard (next to impossible) to disprove unless heard by someone else. Our justice system is built on "innocent until proven guilty". This should not change. The onus has to be on the accuser to prove the allegations or we are opening a can of worms. Whoopi Goldberg stood by Cosby when he was accused because, she said, she had been falsely accused in the past and she knows how easy it is to make the accusation and how hard it is to disprove. Later, when there were 50 women making similar accusations, she finally believed he had done this. But the fact still remains, she knows what it's like to be falsely accused. Not every accusation is true. So each must be evaluated and there must be evidence to prove a person guilty. You can destroy someone with a false accusation.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.