Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Matt Lauer Fired

Featured Replies

I can tell everyone when I had a real job it was drilled into us. If you even looked at a female the wrong way more than once you were guilty and if you said anything sexual to anyone you might as well turn in your gear because you are done.

  • Replies 93
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can tell everyone when I had a real job it was drilled into us. If you even looked at a female the wrong way more than once you were guilty and if you said anything sexual to anyone you might as well turn in your gear because you are done.

 

Agree. Anyone working with a company of any size at all has been through the same training over the past 15 years or more.

What percentage of men have sexually harassed in some shape, form, or fashion? I'd say the % is high...VERY, VERY high!!!

I can tell everyone when I had a real job it was drilled into us. If you even looked at a female the wrong way more than once you were guilty and if you said anything sexual to anyone you might as well turn in your gear because you are done.

 

Maybe it's the industry I am in, but I have been in semi-annual harrassment/inappropriate behavior training for over 20 years. And yet harrassment still is common. It appears that there are many people who legitimately do not understand what crosses the line. And there are many people, especially men, who don't CARE (or didn't), because they held the power in virtually any he said/she said situations. Now, the pendulum has swung, and they are caught with their metaphorical pants down. This issue has been pervasive, even in the workplaces where required training occurs regularly. You know why? Because when you try to address an issue by having people attend a mandatory meeting for an hour and feel that having their signed acknowledgement is enough, you are failing. It's the day to day handling of incidents and issues that changes a culture.

What percentage of men have sexually harassed in some shape, form, or fashion? I'd say the % is high...VERY, VERY high!!!

 

I would agree, especially if you look at gay men. Some of the stuff I've heard said to gay men is absolutely abhorrent.

Maybe it's the industry I am in, but I have been in semi-annual harrassment/inappropriate behavior training for over 20 years. And yet harrassment still is common. It appears that there are many people who legitimately do not understand what crosses the line. And there are many people, especially men, who don't CARE (or didn't), because they held the power in virtually any he said/she said situations. Now, the pendulum has swung, and they are caught with their metaphorical pants down. This issue has been pervasive, even in the workplaces where required training occurs regularly. You know why? Because when you try to address an issue by having people attend a mandatory meeting for an hour and feel that having their signed acknowledgement is enough, you are failing. It's the day to day handling of incidents and issues that changes a culture.

 

It sounds like your companies have failed miserably when it comes to reporting and enforcement.

What percentage of men have sexually harassed in some shape, form, or fashion? I'd say the % is high...VERY, VERY high!!!

 

Just to be clear, I mean what percentage of men have been guilty of sexually harassing someone? I think most men have crossed a line, at least a few times.

It sounds like your companies have failed miserably when it comes to reporting and enforcement.

 

No, what has failed is that societally, we have been stuck in the dark ages. We are only now giving credibility to the accusers at the time the accusations. In the past, sexual abuse or harrassment had to be proven by the victim, not defended by the accused. In addition, even now, the perception of what is or isn't over the line appears to be considered subjective. People have been afraid to come forward because those who have have often been destroyed. They've lost their jobs, had their reputations impugned, and often, if they kept their jobs, been forced to continue having to deal with the person who committed the offense. I have been thinking back over my career. There are some people I know that are likely a little worried about their pasts. And there are some who likely aren't, but definitely should be.

It hasn't come out yet as to what Lauer did. But the other cases so far, I think have clearly been over the line. Walking around in a open robe (Charlie Rose), rape (Harvey Weinstein), groping, or the crazy stuff Louis CK did are a little beyond an inappropriate word or action. I hear what you're saying, but everything we've heard so far is pretty bad.

One that comes to mind for me, and just going by what I've read, was Oliver Stone and Melissa Gilbert.

No, what has failed is that societally, we have been stuck in the dark ages. We are only now giving credibility to the accusers at the time the accusations. In the past, sexual abuse or harrassment had to be proven by the victim, not defended by the accused. In addition, even now, the perception of what is or isn't over the line appears to be considered subjective. People have been afraid to come forward because those who have have often been destroyed. They've lost their jobs, had their reputations impugned, and often, if they kept their jobs, been forced to continue having to deal with the person who committed the offense. I have been thinking back over my career. There are some people I know that are likely a little worried about their pasts. And there are some who likely aren't, but definitely should be.

 

Stuck in the dark ages at your company, not my former company.

Stuck in the dark ages at your company, not my former company.

 

OK.

OK.

 

You can "OK" me all you want. Each company is in charge of handling their own allegations, reports, investigations, and discipline.

 

Just because your companies failed doesn't mean it is a societal problem.

Just to be clear, I mean what percentage of men have been guilty of sexually harassing someone? I think most men have crossed a line, at least a few times.

Most men? Get out of here with that crap.

You can "OK" me all you want. Each company is in charge of handling their own allegations, reports, investigations, and discipline.

 

Just because your companies failed doesn't mean it is a societal problem.

 

OK. I would caution you that just because your former company was good at it, doesn't mean that it isn't a societal issue.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.