#1 Covington Catholic vs. #5 Madison Southern (5A State Final)

16thBBall Fan

5A State Championship Who wins?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. 5A State Championship Who wins?

• Covington Catholic
    • Madison Southern

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already making excuses?

There is veracity to it. HOWEVER, there are enough strong public programs in metropolitan areas to refute a lot of this. What is the track record with Highlands and CovCath? It is about coaching and program construction, mostly, Coach, where population is equal. Look at Colerain and the Indy schools for inspiration, quit looking at the local Lexington schools and make excuses. All of this is moot if the talent isn’t there consistently any way.

There is veracity to it. HOWEVER, there are enough strong public programs in metropolitan areas to refute a lot of this. What is the track record with Highlands and CovCath? It is about coaching and program construction, mostly, Coach, where population is equal. Look at Colerain and the Indy schools for inspiration, quit looking at the local Lexington schools and make excuses. All of this is moot if the talent isn’t there consistently any way.

I don't remember anybody pointing out "the different streams of acquiring talent" CovCath has had over the last 10 years.

I don't remember anybody pointing out "the different streams of acquiring talent" CovCath has had over the last 10 years.

Exactly. Just a weak excuse. CovCath has a once very 25 year type team for their program. Instead of saying, "That is one great team," he does this. Every time a team from NKY or Louisville is above average they are accused of benefitting from some imaginary system. You never hear this about Bowling Green or Mayfield. Now, I understand that CovCath is private, but the same has been said about Beechwood and Highlands in the past.

The only benefits that these schools have that aren't available to others are more people and more schools for them to choose from. There is nothing that can be done to level that part of the field.

I think Coach Clark is mad nobody will be leaving a 6 pack of beer on his front porch this week...

He won't pay for a drink in Berea at least until the start of next season win or lose this game. Cov. Cath is of course the HEAVY FAVORITE...but I expect Southern to come out and play hard. No matter the outcome Southern being here is HUGE.

What kind of message does it send to the players when they read that their HC, their leader is already building excuses into the narrative in case of a loss? I went to a private school who got their heads beat in (wouldve been running clocks if around) regularly by Beechwood and Highlands and our coach (dinosaur that he was) didnt blame anyone but us. Be a leader not a whiner

What kind of message does it send to the players when they read that their HC, their leader is already building excuses into the narrative in case of a loss? I went to a private school who got their heads beat in (wouldve been running clocks if around) regularly by Beechwood and Highlands and our coach (dinosaur that he was) didnt blame anyone but us. Be a leader not a whiner

We must have gone to the same private school. That was my recollection of high school football as well.

They won two games in three years. Now they’re one win away from a state title

Some interesting quotes from MadSouth coach Jon Clark:

CovCath has advantages that Madison Southern never will, its proximity to and ability to draw talent from the Cincinnati area being perhaps the biggest.

“There’s a reason a lot of your private schools, Catholic schools, all-male schools like this are so competitive,” Clark said. “They have a different stream of acquiring talent than most public schools are ever going to have. It’s across the board, everywhere in the country. There’s a difference between public and private schools. It’s not an equal playing field, I don’t care what anybody says.”

Proves he knows nothing about NKY football. :ohbrother: