#1 Danville vs. #3 Mayfield (2A State Final)

16thBBall Fan

2A State Championship Who wins?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. 2A State Championship Who wins?

The Admirals are 13-0, and VanCleave is a big reason why.

“I think he’s just improved, he was fast last year, I think he’s probably a step faster this year,” Danville head coach Clay Clevenger said. “He did that because he worked really hard in the weight room in the offseason. He got his body built up in muscle added and he’s got more confidence all the way around.”

Over the summer, VanCleave said he ran a laser-timed 4.39 40-yard dash at a football camp at Kentucky. During a hand-timed 40-yard dash at Lindsey Wilson, he ran a 4.28.

He said he’s added seven pounds of muscle as well.

“I think I’ve gotten a lot faster and a lot stronger,” VanCleave said. “Overall team-wise, I think our bond and our chemistry is just good, and that makes me a better individual player, offensively and defensively.”

VanCleave leads Admirals back to state in senior season, wins Offensive Player of the Year | The Advocate-Messenger

So he runs a 4.4. Still, lightning fast.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VanCleave was clocked with a 4.28 in the 40 over the summer. That's fast.

Vancleave has 4.37 posted on his own hudl page.

In 2015, Vancleave ran track and finished 7th in the 100 meter dash in 1A. His time was the 40th fastest time in the state looking at all classes. I am sure he is faster now as a senior than he was in the spring of his sophomore year. I am posting the information just to add facts and perspective.

Here's the only facts I need. I've watched 12 of 14 Danville games in person and VanCleave and Jairus Brents are the fastest 2 players I've watched this season...and it's not close. He's absolutely faster than a 4.4, but still...somewhere between 4.28 and 4.39 is FAST.

Here's the only facts I need. I've watched 12 of 14 Danville games in person and VanCleave and Jairus Brents are the fastest 2 players I've watched this season...and it's not close. He's absolutely faster than a 4.4, but still...somewhere between 4.28 and 4.39 is FAST.

Is anyone arguing that he’s fast?

I have no idea what any of Mayfield's players clock at but I doubt anyone clocks that fast, I believe as a team, we will compare above what most 2A teams have.

Let me help you Mayfield guys out. The question came up about team speed. I am told that this is probably Mayfield's fastest team ever - and that is saying something!

For those who want proof - Mayfield's 6'3" 240 lb Junior DE Quorterrius Cherry might be faster than Vancleave. You think I am joking? Cherry had the fastest 100 meter seed time in 1A at last spring's state track meet and finished third in the state in the 100 meters.

Which brings me to the question - who is faster? Vancleave or Mayfield's DE Cherry? They both ran track as sophomores and Cherry's 100 meter time is faster than Vancleave's.

Does Danville like to run Vancleave on jet sweeps and reverses? He might not be able to get the corner on Cherry because Cherry is so fast.

So your saying Cherry is the best player in 2a.....sorry couldn’t resist

No, the fastest player in 2A. :D

Seriously and on topic, Cherry is that fast and that big. Definitely a factor in this game. And it answers the question about Mayfield's speed.

Also, Trey Mathews and Jordan Harrison were on the 4 x 100 relay team with Cherry that finished 2nd in 1A last spring. Mayfield has speed.

Edited by Voice of Reason

Is this a real discussion. Ive seen both of these teams play games for the last 30+ years. These 2 teams had speed long before this site and will have speed long after. This game will be about execution and physicality as it should be.

Trying to get this thread back on track.....

This is coming from an impartial fan. I've seen both teams play multiple time this year, in person and on film. I think each team has championship qualities or they would not be here. Each has played a tough schedule that makes them battle tested. Each program has a long successful history of winning it all. I'd say you could flip a coin right now on who could win the game. As many have mentioned, the team that controls the line of scrimmage and makes the fewest mental mistakes will take home the Championship.

For those who are comparing last years Danville team to this years team, there is no comparison. I see some comparing the Danville team's loss to CAL last year. Remember this team only lost 3 players and they have gotten faster, stronger, and quicker then last year. The only question was the loss of their QB. The new QB has gotten incredibly better as the year progressed. He has one of the best deep balls I've seen from any QB this year. On defense their open field tackling is exceptional. They will make you have to drive the ball and not make any mistakes.

On the other hand, Mayfield has gone from an excellent team to an exceptional team as the year went on. They are playing exceptional football. They have the balanced offense, and don't often make mental mistakes, to be able to move the ball on Danville. Their defense was the best team tackling, all 11 men flying to ball defense, I've seen all year.

Both coaching staffs are excellent at making halftime adjustments.

This has a making to be a game for the history books. Looking forward to watching both teams play!

Mayfields front 4 are no joke...those guys get pressure all by themselves without relying on a blitzing LB or CB. Watching their game with CAL they were the most impressive part of the team from what I saw. If Danville plans on passing, it better not be when it's expected and if it is then they better roll the QB out...those dudes are just dogs on that line and will get after you.