#1 Danville vs. #3 Mayfield (2A State Final)

16thBBall Fan

2A State Championship Who wins?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. 2A State Championship Who wins?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q. Cherry, DE - Mayfield - 6'3 245 - 4.4 40 time... This kid has all the tools in the world and when he is mentally into the game, dominates it, more times than not... The problem is that he sometimes gets lazy and takes plays off... Sometimes, not just plays but a whole quarter or half... Disappears... Then, all of a sudden, he decides it's time to play and dominance again.. I've heard more than a few Cardinal faithful getting frustrated with him this year.. If you put Kyle Hurts heart into Q.Cherry's body and you'd have a D-1 All-American type prospect... As is, he'll likely end up at a Murray St type program..

If Danville wins it won't be because of Vancleave, I can see Mayfield doing him the same way they did Wright from Cal. Danville's other weapons will have to step up. I also think Mayfield will match Danville speed for speed. This game will be a battle!!

Same thing I was thinking. No matter how much speed your best player has. If he gets the Wright treatment, then the other players HAVE to beat us.

Uh oh...looks like there was a visitor to Danville today who visited the high school and took a picture for social media. It's nothing illegal or bad, but wanted a mod to verify before I posted it on here.

Personally, I think it's funny but I'm not sure I'd be giving bulletin board material before the game.

Uh oh...looks like there was a visitor to Danville today who visited the high school and took a picture for social media. It's nothing illegal or bad, but wanted a mod to verify before I posted it on here.

Personally, I think it's funny but I'm not sure I'd be giving bulletin board material before the game.

I saw it today as well. I got a laugh out of it. I’m sure it was a youngin passing through.

Let me help you Mayfield guys out. The question came up about team speed. I am told that this is probably Mayfield's fastest team ever - and that is saying something!

For those who want proof - Mayfield's 6'3" 240 lb Junior DE Quorterrius Cherry might be faster than Vancleave. You think I am joking? Cherry had the fastest 100 meter seed time in 1A at last spring's state track meet and finished third in the state in the 100 meters.

Which brings me to the question - who is faster? Vancleave or Mayfield's DE Cherry? They both ran track as sophomores and Cherry's 100 meter time is faster than Vancleave's.

Does Danville like to run Vancleave on jet sweeps and reverses? He might not be able to get the corner on Cherry because Cherry is so fast.

I kinda chuckle at "maybe the fastest team MF has ever had"....I'm sure someone expressed this to you as their opinion, but they must have a kid on the team, otherwise I don't think they would have said that. MF has really good team speed for sure, but they are like most MF teams. They have kids that buy in to the team mentality, and Mayfield ALWAYS squeezes more potential and success out of less talent than almost any team across the state. If football were a beauty contest, MF would never be a champ. Hard nosed, blue collar, and a Never-Say-Die attitude.

That pic is probably already hanging in the locker room and around DHS. Interesting strategy.

I wouldn't classify that as strategy. I doubt anyone associated with the current football program did that. Now it could have been a FORMER player who is still sour over getting beat by Dville. That's my guess...