AP Mr. Football: All-Time Finalists & Winners

I know there are some Mr. Football winners who made some NFL practice squads but never made it onto a final roster (Derek Homer, Micah Johnson & Douglas Beaumont for example) but looking on the Wikipedia page for the Mr. Football award:

1987 - Kurt Barber played in the NFL from 92-97

1988 - Jeff Brohm played in the NFL from 94-00

1994 - Shaun Alexander played in the NFL from 00-08

1995 - Tim Couch played in the NFL from 99-07

1997 - Dennis Johnson played in the NFL from 02-04

1998 - Jared Lorenzen played in the NFL from 04-08

2002 - Michael Bush played in the NFL from 07-14

2003 - Brian Brohm played in the NFL from 08-10

2009 - Antonio Andrews played in the NFL from 14-16

2012 - James Quick played in the NFL from 17-present

• 4 months later...
And we still got beat in the KY/TN Allstar game and that was with Mike Yeagle coaching the team. Additionally, Travis Prentice was on that team if my memory serves me correct.

I was thinking the same thing. If Travis Prentice wasn’t on the list, that’s further evidence of how deep that class was.

Kelvin Turner not winning in 2004 despite achieving the state TD record always grated me as a Danville fan.

Boyle fans felt the same way about Brandon Smith losing it that year as well to Curtis Pulley. :thumb:

Played against Travis Atwell the year he won. Dude was crazy talented, and athletic. Then he had a sick dunk in the All A tournament in Richmond that year as well.

Just a sidebar, but Travis Atwell's coach at Hancock County was current Male coach Chris Wolfe. Coach Wolfe's 1st head job after playing LB at Campbellsville and Highlands HS. 2018 QB Garrett Dennis and 2014(?) QB Hayden Shelton join Atwell as finalists under Wolfe's tutelage.

• Like 1

Just a sidebar, but Travis Atwell's coach at Hancock County was current Male coach Chris Wolfe. Coach Wolfe's 1st head job after playing LB at Campbellsville and Highlands HS. 2018 QB Garrett Dennis and 2014(?) QB Hayden Shelton join Atwell as finalists under Wolfe's tutelage.

Guess that would explain how Hancock got on Highlands’ schedule that year!

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 5:54 PM, Hatz said:

Boyle fans felt the same way about Brandon Smith losing it that year as well to Curtis Pulley. :thumb:

Kelvin Turner and Brandon Smith were both on the 2005 KY All Stars that beat Tennessee (that had 8 UT signees) by two TD's. This team came up in conversation a couple times over the last few days. I would argue that team was the best collection of HS football players, ever, in the Commonwealth. Extremely talented group of young men. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

Arliss Beach from Ashland. He was a human highlight reel went on to play at KY. Played 3 or 4 seasons in the NFL. Believe he was 04, 05 class. Was all state in Football and Basketball. Juan Thomas 1990 how he didn’t win it.

Thomas was a machine. 1990 Mr. Football was a two-man race between him and Damon Hood. Thomas was one of three RBs on the '90 state championship Ashland team with 1000+ yards on the season. He finished with 1632 yards for 23 TDs, and 53 tackles, 7 sacks, 9 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries. Went to ASU, and then opted out of college football when the White Sox drafted him into their farm league. Didn't end up going anywhere in baseball.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Thomas was a machine. 1990 was a two-man race between him and Damon Hood. Thomas was one of three RBs on th0 '90 state championship Ashland team with 1000+ yards on the season. He finished with 1632 yards for 23 TDs, and 53 tackles, 7 sacks, 9 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries. Went to ASU, and then opted out of college football when the White Sox drafted him into their farm league. Didn't end up going anywhere in baseball.

Thomas didn’t start the season at RB. He was DE -TE. He was shifted to the RB spot for the Ironton game due to injury sickness. After the Game Legendary Coach Lutz told Vic Marsh, you keep him at RB you win the State Title. He did the rest is History.

• Like 1

I would have to say Shaun Alexander is the greatest of all time to earn the title of Mr Football in Ky. 

I know we aren’t talking about this category but my gosh, Alabama great and NFL great to boot. 

Who else am I missing? 

Mayer could be the next Nky great to star at a top 5 college program and move on to an NFL career. 

I just find it so mind boggling to comprehend how hard it is to excel at both the Big college programs and then the NFL. 

• Like 2

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to AP Mr. Football: All-Time Finalists & Winners