AP Mr. Football: All-Time Finalists & Winners

On 12/26/2020 at 11:53 AM, Sweeperboy said:

I would have to say Shaun Alexander is the greatest of all time to earn the title of Mr Football in Ky. 

I know we aren’t talking about this category but my gosh, Alabama great and NFL great to boot. 

Who else am I missing? 

Mayer could be the next Nky great to star at a top 5 college program and move on to an NFL career. 

I just find it so mind boggling to comprehend how hard it is to excel at both the Big college programs and then the NFL. 

Crazy to think that Mayer (who I believe will get drafted at some point) or Wan'Dale Robinson could end a 15/16-year drought where Kentucky Mr. Football did not get drafted after college.

Crazy to think Brian Brohm was the last Mr. Football drafted.

12 minutes ago, EastSideJunkie said:

Crazy to think that Mayer (who I believe will get drafted at some point) or Wan'Dale Robinson could end a 15/16-year drought where Kentucky Mr. Football did not get drafted after college.

Crazy to think Brian Brohm was the last Mr. Football drafted.

I believe the biggest reason for that drought is that the bulk of professional caliber players coming from the state of Kentucky are lineman and similar to the Heisman winner in college, Mr. Kentucky Football is very much a skill position award and almost exclusively and offensive award. I wonder when the last time an OL was seriously considered for the award. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

2020 Finalists...

Jager Burton is Douglass' 1st ever Mr. Football finalist.
Leetavious Cline is West Carter's 1st ever Mr. Football finalist.
La'Vell Wright is North Hardin's 2nd ever Mr. Football finalist.
Cam Hergott is Beechwood's 3rd ever Mr. Football finalist.
Clay Games is Elizabethtown's 3rd ever Mr. Football finalist.
Keontae Pittman is Ashland's 3rd ever Mr. Football finalist.
Will McDaniel is Boyle County's 8th ever Mr. Football finalist.

15 minutes ago, theguru said:

At least they are maintaining the tradition. 

Too bad Augusta National has trademarked Jim Nantz's, "A Tradition Unlike Any Other" for The Masters. The Kentucky AP membership missed out on a viable revenue stream. 🙄

10 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

Too bad Augusta National has trademarked Jim Nantz's, "A Tradition Unlike Any Other" for The Masters. The Kentucky AP membership missed out on a viable revenue stream. 🙄

At this point I don't think it is much beyond work for the AP. 

On 8/7/2017 at 12:35 PM, theguru said:

And we still got beat in the KY/TN Allstar game and that was with Mike Yeagle coaching the team. Additionally, Travis Prentice was on that team if my memory serves me correct.

Yes he was! That was a great game.  I will never forget when Tim Couch’s favorite target at Lesile County went over the middle for a pass when Mr Al Wilson hit him so hard he crawled to the sideline. I wish I could remember his name. 

1 minute ago, Jason Bucklen said:

Yes he was! That was a great game.  I will never forget when Tim Couch’s favorite target at Lesile County went over the middle for a pass when Mr Al Wilson hit him so hard he crawled to the sideline. I wish I could remember his name. 

That TN Allstar team was super talented!

On 12/26/2020 at 11:53 AM, Sweeperboy said:

I would have to say Shaun Alexander is the greatest of all time to earn the title of Mr Football in Ky. 

I know we aren’t talking about this category but my gosh, Alabama great and NFL great to boot. 

Who else am I missing? 

Mayer could be the next Nky great to star at a top 5 college program and move on to an NFL career. 

I just find it so mind boggling to comprehend how hard it is to excel at both the Big college programs and then the NFL. 

Curtis Pulley was a good one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jason Bucklen said:

I want to say Dan Baker was his name maybe?

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to AP Mr. Football: All-Time Finalists & Winners
  • 1 year later...