Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bible Classes as Elective in Public Schools

Featured Replies

I don't think this is anything more than a PR move. Teachers have been referencing the bible in English, humanities, and Social Studies clsasses for years. The will have no positive or neagative impact.

 

I am not sure a school would have any problems with literature from any religion. This is using Christianity to win votes. Schools have been having prayer activities for years.

  • Replies 31
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was in high school each nine weeks you rotated between different disciplines of english. You had one elective each year where you chose your nine weeks of english. Bible Literature was an option as was Greek Mythology (My personal favorite). I think if a school wants to teach "Bible Lit" it should be optional and taught as a piece of literature...like it was when I was in school way back in the 80's.

This is nothing to do with education.

 

This is a political ploy for votes.

This is nothing to do with education.

 

This is a political ploy for votes.

 

Little doubt about that.

As long as it is an elective, it doesn't bother me.

 

If they start requiring students to take the class, different story entirely.

So, what version of the Bible must be taught? Because there are differences, and they are significant.

So, what version of the Bible must be taught? Because there are differences, and they are significant.

 

I am certain the teacher will decide. But, as you point out there are a number of versions, which could be a unit unto itself.

Bible classes, no. An elective, possibly a requirement in international religious studies, YES! Religion runs the world, and is the basis for horrible wars. Why our kids are not encouraged to learn about, and learn to tolerate others' religions in public school amazes me.

 

I was raised Catholic, but went to Beechwood as did my children. One year a Jewish mother came and started teaching the kids about the Jewish faith, particularly Hannakah. It was awesome. Learned a lot myself. Would have been equally as great to learn about Kwanza, or any other faith.

 

Difference in public school is the need to learn about and not foster ideation about a particular religion.

I am certain the teacher will decide. But, as you point out there are a number of versions, which could be a unit unto itself.

 

In my Catholic HS, we studied other versions of the Bible in our World Religions class. We also the texts of Judaism, Islam and Church of the Latter Day Saints. We studied Hinduism, Buddahism, agnosticism and athieism. One of the most interesting and impactful classes of my entire academic career.

Bible classes, no. An elective, possibly a requirement in international religious studies, YES! Religion runs the world, and is the basis for horrible wars. Why our kids are not encouraged to learn about, and learn to tolerate others' religions in public school amazes me.

 

IMO it is way too hard to control who is teaching these classes. I'll always say that anyone who feels firmly about their kids learning about religion in school should send their kids to a private school. You know what kind of religious teachings you are getting there. A person who hates everything the Bible teaches can teach at a public school and they are protected by the law.

IMO it is way too hard to control who is teaching these classes. I'll always say that anyone who feels firmly about their kids learning about religion in school should send their kids to a private school. You know what kind of religious teachings you are getting there. A person who hates everything the Bible teaches can teach at a public school and they are protected by the law.

 

Good point. But if different priests, rabbis, or ministers were allowed input, it could be great. When I was in high school, sex education was taboo. Anatomy was taboo. God forbid someone learned about, or saw a picture of private parts!

 

Now sex education is a normal part of most high schools' curriculum. I think learning about various religions is essential in today's world. Public schools should be the best venue for that, because they SHOULD be non-biased.

 

If someone hates the Bible, their input should be equally weighed with everyone else's.

 

I was raised Catholic, and am happy with that. Problem is, I was taught that it was the ONLY real religion. No one ever told me differently, even in public school, the lines were drawn. Other children were the OTHER children.

 

I think if children learned to understand other people's faith early, it would lead to tolerance. Unfortunately, most religions do not really embrace tolereace.

Edited by Beechwoodfan

Good point. But if different priests, rabbis, or ministers were allowed input, it could be great. When I was in high school, sex education was taboo. Anatomy was taboo. God forbid someone learned about, or saw a picture of private parts!

 

Now sex education is a normal part of most high schools' curriculum. I think learning about various religions is essential in today's world. Public schools should be the best venue for that, because they SHOUD be non-biased.

 

If someone hates the Bible, their input should be equally weighed with everyone else's.

 

I agree wholeheartedly. I just think it will be harder to control who is teaching our kids the Bible in public schools depending on who is deemed qualified to teach that course.

I agree wholeheartedly. I just think it will be harder to control who is teaching our kids the Bible in public schools depending on who is deemed qualified to teach that course.

 

For sure, it is a passionate issue. It might spark more interest and class debate than most other subjects. Like I said before, sex ed was such a hot topic of debate in my youth. Parents could refuse to allow their children to attend.

 

Handled well, I think it could be another "former taboo" subject?

Who is expected/qualified to teach this class?

 

I'm a professed open Christian and the thought of teaching this class at my school gives me a bit of anxiety. It would take a TON of front loading and a clear understanding from students and parents about goals and outcomes before we even began talking about anything the Bible had to say.

 

It'd probably end up being a really good class from the social studies perspective:

 

Why the Bible?

Why not the Koran?

How is the modern world influenced? The west? East?

How does Kentucky legislation work?

Why do christians believe what they do?

How is our country influenced by The Bible?

 

It could be really cool.

 

 

Fwiw, it'd be total bull crap if classes specific to the Koran, the vedas and whatever else weren't offered.

Edited by ThrillVille Cardinal51

For sure, it is a passionate issue. It might spark more interest and class debate than most other subjects. Like I said before, sex ed was such a hot topic of debate in my youth. Parents could refuse to allow their children to attend.

 

Handled well, I think it could be another "former taboo" subject?

 

I definitely agree there also.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.