Theoretical Prediction: If Pitino stayed at Kentucky how many titles do they have?

GrantNKY

How many titles for Pitino at UK?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How many titles for Pitino at UK?

Tubby's in game ability now has him coaching in the same league he started in and fading. This guy has made a ton of money off of the 1 team that Rick left him. Sorry, just not a fan of the Tubster

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tubby's in game ability now has him coaching in the same league he started in and fading. This guy has made a ton of money off of the 1 team that Rick left him. Sorry, just not a fan of the Tubster
When you can't recruit the players it's hard to win.

I've always felt that Tubby guided that team in a way I think was different than what Rick would have. And I think it worked. I've always felt Tubby was a great coach, but he just didn't have the touch as a recruiter. That 98 team was a perfect mix where he had a team with the right talent that he could guide.
The players have said as much, the ones that will talk about it all say they don't think they would have won in 98 under Rick. Which shows just how fragile a championship run really is. Everything has to match up perfectly for that moment in time.

If Rick stays he has to win two more just to make up for Tubby's and Cal's, that would give him 3 titles at UK.

If he wins another one during the Tubby/Billy time frame then you are looking at 4 for Rick. If one of those had derailed a Duke title, then we are looking at Pitino being head to head with 4 apiece with Coach K.

Rick is a great coach, a hall of fame coach and will go down in history as one of the best. If he hadn't went to the Celtics, he possibly could be in the discussion as best ever with K.

If Rick stays he has to win two more just to make up for Tubby's and Cal's, that would give him 3 titles at UK.

If he wins another one during the Tubby/Billy time frame then you are looking at 4 for Rick. If one of those had derailed a Duke title, then we are looking at Pitino being head to head with 4 apiece with Coach K.

Rick is a great coach, a hall of fame coach and will go down in history as one of the best. If he hadn't went to the Celtics, he possibly could be in the discussion as best ever with K.

Agreed. I think ego cost him more titles. His Ego got him to leave UK and that has been the worst move he's made.

But just like Cal and his current run, only 1 title to show for it. So just because Pitino was on a so called "run" doesn't mean he would have won any more titles than the 1.

Well being a non-UK fan I think my opinion is fairly unbiased here. Rick came in at a severely low point in UK history while they were on probation. It was going to take time to have some success and I think by all measures he had success probably quicker than many thought he would. So really nothing in my opinion can or should be held against him his first couple of years, and saying he only won 1 title while he was here is being pretty unjust when you look at the situation he came into.

As for the original question, Pitino probably wins a couple more tiles at least. I always thought and still think Rick is the better coach, and if he could have recruited anywhere close to what Cal has the past few years, then UK would be looking at 10+ very possibly.

But just like Cal and his current run, only 1 title to show for it. So just because Pitino was on a so called "run" doesn't mean he would have won any more titles than the 1.

True. To be honest it was a perfect storm that lead him away from UK, IMO. Reaching the Title game and almost winning a consecutive title with that wounded team probably made him feel "bored" with the challenge somewhat and then a traditional Celtic team provided the greatest challenge to his Ego. I never begrudged him leaving when he did.

As to the "run." I don't measure in titles alone. It was the way the Cats went from the dregs of probation to being part of the conversation of contender so fast. The run was spectacular.

1991 SEC Champs with a close loss to UNC and Big win over Kansas who made the Final Four.

1992 Final Eight and one play from the Final Four.

1993 Final Four and a break away from the title game.

1994 Let down in Round of 32.

1995 Bad game from the Final Four and owning a win over the Runners Up.

1996 Enough said.

1997 One Overtime away from winning consecutive National Titles with a team that featured Jared Prickett and Cameron Mills in key roles.

Simple: If Pitino never left UK and was still the coach, how many titles would UK have? 8? 9? 10? 11? More?

I don't think he would have won any, because I sure as hell hope the UK administration would have gotten rid of him for all the dumb things he did. How Louisville kept him on is beyond me.

I don't think he would have won any, because I sure as hell hope the UK administration would have gotten rid of him for all the dumb things he did. How Louisville kept him on is beyond me.
Anything Pitino has done at Louisville is completely irrelevant to this conversation.