Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mr. Football?

Featured Replies

Pretty sure he was up for Mr. Football, I know he got hurt, he was also on of the states leading rushers his JR year, he ran for over 2,600 yards.

 

Exactly. He didn't win Mr. Football and his senior year was worse than his junior and maybe even his sophomore season. That goes without even mentioning the level of competition he faced. Where Harris won over college staffs all across the nation was what he did at the various camps he attended with important eyes watching him. Not as much what he may or may not have done on the field for Madison Southern. Nick Saban didn't say he didn't want Harris anymore because he lost out to Sindelar for Mr. Football and Saban didn't say he didn't want Harris anymore because he was too hurt to play Pulaski County on ESPN 2.

  • Replies 139
  • Views 19.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do too. So you think coaches sit down with a book of all 1 million players and evaluate them to find who they want?

 

Here's how it goes padawan. People don't recruit every player in the nation. They have areas they focus on. They develop relationships with certain coaches. They visit schools and ask about your kids and opponents kids. They hold camps to evaluate. They watch film to evaluate.

Exactly. He didn't win Mr. Football and his senior year was worse than his junior and maybe even his sophomore season. That goes without even mentioning the level of competition he faced. Where Harris won over college staffs all across the nation was what he did at the various camps he attended with important eyes watching him. Not as much what he may or may not have done on the field for Madison Southern. Nick Saban didn't say he didn't want Harris anymore because he lost out to Sindelar for Mr. Football and Saban didn't say he didn't want Harris anymore because he was too hurt to play Pulaski County on ESPN 2.

 

His senior season was worse cause he only played 7 games. Yes camps also play a big part because that is where scouts for rivals, 247 and others rate players. But he got noticed originally because of his ridiculous stats and then his camp performance solidified his offers. I'm not saying losing the award dooms a kid. I'm simply saying being up for the award or winning it can boost recruiting.

At most I think individual awards and All-State Teams are a supplemental part of the recruiting picture. I don't think any kid has ever received a scholarship because they were simply an All-State or an Award Winner.

 

I don't think a kid has ever lost a scholarship because they didn't win an award or get named.

 

I also don't think a College Coach has based his decision to offer one player over another based off an All-State list or an individual award.

 

 

With that said, I think it figures into the overall picture of a prospect and the discussion points, more particularly in very small states with weak competition. If a prospect is up for debate I could see this being part of the case for or against, but never the sole determining factor.

 

I also think it probably has more value at the smaller college levels such as NAIA, D-II, D-III etc... I still won't say it is the end all be all... but at these levels when there is a much smaller budget to evaluate talent or go visit them or work them out at camps, I could see it weighing a bit more heavy in making someone stand out.

At most I think individual awards and All-State Teams are a supplemental part of the recruiting picture. I don't think any kid has ever received a scholarship because they were simply an All-State or an Award Winner.

 

I don't think a kid has ever lost a scholarship because they didn't win an award or get named.

 

I also don't think a College Coach has based his decision to offer one player over another based off an All-State list or an individual award.

 

With that said, I think it figures into the overall picture of a prospect and the discussion points, more particularly in very small states with weak competition. If a prospect is up for debate I could see this being part of the case for or against, but never the sole determining factor.

 

I also think it probably has more value at the smaller college levels such as NAIA, D-II, D-III etc... I still won't say it is the end all be all... but at these levels when there is a much smaller budget to evaluate talent or go visit them or work them out at camps, I could see it weighing a bit more heavy in making someone stand out.

 

Agree. The award can get a kid on the radar of a school. Film and eyes on at a camp are the most important. That gives college coaches an opportunity to evaluate for themselves.

Most important for the kids being recruited, to me, are his measurables and his performance. If he runs a 4.3 people will know about him. Not too many can do that. The vast majority have to get on the radar either through scouts, a camp, media exposure, etc. Awards can get some attention and maybe a look or an invite -- depending on the college level. They don't get you an offer.

Stats do matter. Met with a college recruiter at a D1 school and he asked my son how the year went. Stats were among the items about how the year went. Led to lots more questions about the offense, etc. They mattered at least to that D1 recruiting coordinator. In the end they want to see him at a camp before they make a decision.

George Fant, the starting LT for the Seattle Seahawks and a product of Warren Central High School in BG is a wonderful example of just how important stats and accolades at lower levels are in terms of transitioning to the next level...

:ohbrother:

At most I think individual awards and All-State Teams are a supplemental part of the recruiting picture. I don't think any kid has ever received a scholarship because they were simply an All-State or an Award Winner.

 

I don't think a kid has ever lost a scholarship because they didn't win an award or get named.

 

I also don't think a College Coach has based his decision to offer one player over another based off an All-State list or an individual award.

 

 

With that said, I think it figures into the overall picture of a prospect and the discussion points, more particularly in very small states with weak competition. If a prospect is up for debate I could see this being part of the case for or against, but never the sole determining factor.

 

I also think it probably has more value at the smaller college levels such as NAIA, D-II, D-III etc... I still won't say it is the end all be all... but at these levels when there is a much smaller budget to evaluate talent or go visit them or work them out at camps, I could see it weighing a bit more heavy in making someone stand out.

 

This was the point I was trying make. Clearly I wasn't doing a very good job. It is a part of the process.

George Fant, the starting LT for the Seattle Seahawks and a product of Warren Central High School in BG is a wonderful example of just how important stats and accolades at lower levels are in terms of transitioning to the next level...

:ohbrother:

 

And every sport can point to players who come out of nowhere and perform well at the next level -- maybe even in another sport (Antonio Gates). You can't project with certainty growth, who "gets it", maturity, etc. Stats are a data point but not the whole picture.

I will ask again, how many voters are there for this award?

Does NKY have any AP representitive?

I will ask again, how many voters are there for this award?

Does NKY have any AP representitive?

 

Thorns, I would like to know that answer to the first question myself. As you your second question, I do not believe there is a NKY representative unless it would be someone in Cincinnati. I say this based upon older threads I recall where this came up before but not by personal knowledge.

I will ask again, how many voters are there for this award?

Does NKY have any AP representitive?

 

Every TV station, radio station and newspaper in the state that's a member of The Associated Press gets a vote. With that said, not many participate. If the weekly rankings are any indication, about 20 media members will cast a vote for Mr. Football.

Maybe the AP voters will read the ALL BGP Football thread and just use it to pick their winner. Problem solved.

Maybe the AP voters will read the ALL BGP Football thread and just use it to pick their winner. Problem solved.

 

:lol2:...this!

51 Days and Counting (from the last football game to the awarding of Mr. Football)......

 

Come on Man!!! I fully realize it is not a priority at this point, but it is a responsibility.

The Mr. Football Award has lost its credibility. It's a joke. The Blue Grass Preps all state football team got it right and in a timely fashon. I really don't care who they pick, now. BGP is the Cadillac of high school sports in Kentucky.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.