Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mr. Football?

Featured Replies

Some of the things that I hear people say influence college coaches make me chuckle.

 

If you're good enough to play in college the coaches will find you.

 

Some of the things people say influence coaches and some of the things people say win games. I don't know whether to chuckle or cry.

  • Replies 139
  • Views 19.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they are waiting on Bluegrass preps to release their team before they release Mr. Football. They would hate to see their MR. Football not be on the Bluegrass Prep's team. lol :-)

 

Or did I miss the team post?????? That definitely could have happened, lol.

Edited by Jo-Jo13
forgot to add something.

I've never heard a college coach ask about stats, all-state teams, or Mr. Football. They are paid to evaluate & recruit players that can help their program win. An award that takes the AP 2 months to decide will not influence that evaluation!

 

You are incorrect. As a father of a son who is being recruited, I can tell you the scouting/recruiting websites want to know any and all accolades players have earned. That would be Scouts, Rivals, 247, NCSA...etc. Coaches may not put this at the top of their recruiting priorities, but it is certainly information available to them.

It's sad it's almost closer to 2017 Spring practice than the 2016 season.

It's sad it's almost closer to 2017 Spring practice than the 2016 season.

 

Agree. Is has been what, a month and a half since the end of football season. Sad. But I bet that for whoever wins the award it will still be just as sweet.

You are incorrect. As a father of a son who is being recruited, I can tell you the scouting/recruiting websites want to know any and all accolades players have earned. That would be Scouts, Rivals, 247, NCSA...etc. Coaches may not put this at the top of their recruiting priorities, but it is certainly information available to them.

 

I'm wrong a lot in life. I have somehow learned to overcome my deficiencies. I am sure you are correct about the recruiting sites. I am certain I am correct about the coaches.

I'm wrong a lot in life. I have somehow learned to overcome my deficiencies. I am sure you are correct about the recruiting sites. I am certain I am correct about the coaches.

 

Fair enough.....I thought it interesting according to NCSA, 98% of HS recruiting is now done online. Granted NCSA is trying to sell the service of recruiting, I still found that a powerful percentage.

I'm wrong a lot in life. I have somehow learned to overcome my deficiencies. I am sure you are correct about the recruiting sites. I am certain I am correct about the coaches.

 

The coaches absolutely care about stats and accolades. If you don't have productive stats and are not mentioned in any of the local awards why would a college coach think you would be successful against college competition. I worked in a D1 recruiting office and part of my job was gather stats from recruits on their board every week of their season. The days of if your good enough coaches will find you are over, you have to go and sell your ability to play or get your name out their in the media. That is how coaches find kids to evaluate. They do not just sit at a computer and search football highlights and watch every tape that pops up. They are directed to kids through these awards and websites.

The coaches absolutely care about stats and accolades. If you don't have productive stats and are not mentioned in any of the local awards why would a college coach think you would be successful against college competition. I worked in a D1 recruiting office and part of my job was gather stats from recruits on their board every week of their season. The days of if your good enough coaches will find you are over, you have to go and sell your ability to play or get your name out their in the media. That is how coaches find kids to evaluate. They do not just sit at a computer and search football highlights and watch every tape that pops up. They are directed to kids through these awards and websites.

 

So if a kid doesn't win All State or Mr. Football or an All Area award then colleges won't want the kid anymore?

So if a kid doesn't win All State or Mr. Football or an All Area award then colleges won't want the kid anymore?

Not Necessarily. They will then look at their stats and see which kids made it over him. They still evaluate mainly from watching video but the awards get the kids name in front of the coaches. There is over 1 million high school football players in the country. It is not easy for coaches to find every single one that is talented enough to play in college. Any award list or ranking that can narrow their search is where they will start

Not Necessarily. They will then look at their stats and see which kids made it over him. They still evaluate mainly from watching video but the awards get the kids name in front of the coaches. There is over 1 million high school football players in the country. It is not easy for coaches to find every single one that is talented enough to play in college. Any award list or ranking that can narrow their search is where they will start

 

The good coaches that I know, and I know a lot of them, do not let random people and media narrow or broaden their search and evaluation of players. Period. Mr.Football will be listed in the bio in the fall game program and nothing more.

Not Necessarily. They will then look at their stats and see which kids made it over him. They still evaluate mainly from watching video but the awards get the kids name in front of the coaches. There is over 1 million high school football players in the country. It is not easy for coaches to find every single one that is talented enough to play in college. Any award list or ranking that can narrow their search is where they will start

 

Fair enough. I just think the general point being made is that an award isn't going to make a difference in whether a college decides if they want a kid or not. It seems weird that an award would be a contributing factor. I could see them being curious about stats but I can't see them being overly concerned with stats either. Stats and awards didn't stop Damien Harris from becoming the starting RB at Alabama.

Fair enough. I just think the general point being made is that an award isn't going to make a difference in whether a college decides if they want a kid or not. It seems weird that an award would be a contributing factor. I could see them being curious about stats but I can't see them being overly concerned with stats either. Stats and awards didn't stop Damien Harris from becoming the starting RB at Alabama.

 

Pretty sure he was up for Mr. Football, I know he got hurt, he was also on of the states leading rushers his JR year, he ran for over 2,600 yards.

The good coaches that I know, and I know a lot of them, do not let random people and media narrow or broaden their search and evaluation of players. Period. Mr.Football will be listed in the bio in the fall game program and nothing more.

 

I do too. So you think coaches sit down with a book of all 1 million players and evaluate them to find who they want?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.