Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Are you a smoker?

Featured Replies

  • Author
Where are they smoking inside?

 

The are still bars in NKY that allow it.

  • Replies 37
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The are still bars in NKY that allow it.

 

...and restaurants. I was at Howard's in Falmouth this weekend and smelled like an ashtray when I left.

Heard on the news last night that smokers earn 20% less than non smokers. Pulled up a few articles today that discuss the gap.

 

 

A Smoker’s Wage Gap?! Yep—Smokers Make 2% Less Than Non-Smokers - Glassdoor Blog

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100932835

truth campaign to focus on smoker’s wage gap | Truth Initiative

 

I love those commercials. They have been killing it for years.

 

I remember hearing a story years ago that the anti-smoking ads were so successful in Florida that Big Tobacco stepped up against them but that is from memory and I don't have a link.

  • Author
From what I understand, smoking numbers are way down.

 

????? Not according to this article dated 2014

 

There Are More Smokers Now in 2

I have a hookah in the house that my parents got me whn they were traveling through Turkey. I use it for Flavored Tobacco about once a year. My family is from Beirut so I rationalize it as family heritage.

 

Is it too much of a Red Herring to throw the idea of using a tanning bed in this same discussion?

  • Author
A couple things to point out. That is worldwide data. Also the global rate has fell. But the number has went up as rising populations in the developing world continue to smoke at a high rate.

 

Developing countries should indicate those of higher education levels? Does not look like the me that folks are getting the message this stuff is bad for you?

I smoked throughout high school but quit about two months after I graduated, 44 years ago. In the period that I smoked a pack of Marlboro cost a quarter. But I only made $5 per week working at the local theater, so I suppose that would be considered about the right price for then.

 

Quitting was the best decision I ever made. I've watched too many relatives and friends die at young ages because of emphysema or lung cancer. I had a cousin, a three pack a day smoker since he was a teen, die of emphysema at 55. Both his parents lived to be almost 90. If there's anything to genetics he possibly shortened his life by 35 years. Those are years that he could have been a part of his children and grandchildren's lives. Really sad to leave this world so soon due to a cigarette habit.

Developing countries should indicate those of higher education levels? Does not look like the me that folks are getting the message this stuff is bad for you?

 

That would be developed countries.

I smoked for a long time, quit for a year or so, started back, and have since quit again. I don't have a huge craving any longer. But certain stressful situations make me want to smoke again. But I have been proud of myself for not giving in. But, dang, people! Help a sistah out and stop getting on my last nerve!

Isn't it funny how society's norms change? Years ago, everyone including pregnant women were smoking....in stores, restaurants, move theatres---you name it. NBA players smoked on the bench. What will people 40 years from now, when looking back at the 2010's, say "I can't believe those people were doing that"?

Isn't it funny how society's norms change? Years ago, everyone including pregnant women were smoking....in stores, restaurants, move theatres---you name it. NBA players smoked on the bench. What will people 40 years from now, when looking back at the 2010's, say "I can't believe those people were doing that"?

 

Is listening to sound scientific/health fact really a societal norm though?

 

Here's hoping folks look back at the 2010's and say "I can't believe people were still using fossil fuels."

Is listening to sound scientific/health fact really a societal norm though?

 

Here's hoping folks look back at the 2010's and say "I can't believe people were still using fossil fuels."

It takes a while for society to be aware of/accept sound scientific/health facts, though. People had no idea about the bad health effects of smoking in the 1950's, for instance. When the city of Louisville was trying to institute the smoking ban, there was substantial opposition. It was a big issue. Nowadays, and no offense meant to anyone, if you smoke, you are almost a pariah in the eyes of society.

I quit 23 years ago. Hate the smell of em something awful.

I can understand our parents smoking. It was the thing to do in that time. Kids that pick it up today, with the knowledge that is out there just blows my mind.

 

Spent a couple hours in downtown Asheville, NC last Saturday. Place was crawling with smoking hipsters.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.