Controversy Over HS Girls Basketball Team's American Indian Themed Poster

lawildcat

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article could have done a better job of explaining. When talking to those Native Americans the obvious question/comment is "educate us on what is offensive." To leave us wondering does a disservice to all.

I'm not surprised. It seems most don't care about educating, only stirring things up for more views.

The first team to be censured for using the name Redskins should be this one...

In Arizona, a Navajo high school emerges as a defender of the Washington Redskins - The Washington Post

Apparently, many or most Navajos don't find the word Redskins offensive and take pride in it. Imagine that.

An interesting quote from the article:

A 2004 Annenberg Public Policy Center poll that found nine out of 10 Native Americans were not offended by the Redskins name. But Blackhorse and others note that the survey is 10 years old and question its methodology.

Another article has more recent data, I think from 2016. It says the same thing. 9 out of 10 Native Americans do not find the use of Redskins as a mascot offensive.

Here's a quote from this article :

But for more than a decade, no one has measured what the country’s 5.4 million Native Americans think about the controversy. Their responses to The Post poll [the more recent one] were unambiguous: Few objected to the name, and some voiced admiration.

Here's another quote:

Across every demographic group, the vast majority of Native Americans say the team’s name does not offend them, including 80 percent who identify as politically liberal, 85 percent of college graduates, 90 percent of those enrolled in a tribe, 90 percent of non-football fans and 91 percent of those between the ages of 18 and 39.

Even 9 in 10 of those who have heard a great deal about the controversy say they are not bothered by the name.

What makes those attitudes more striking: The general public appears to object more strongly to the name than Indians do.

New poll finds 9 in 1

The girls are beautifully photographed and look very cute in their garb. The poster is professionally super well done and might be one of the better high school athletic posters I have seen.

As LRCW said above, were I a 17-18 yo high school student, I think I'd be attending a few of those games.:lol2:

People have a right to get worked up over anything they want I guess. This poster isn't one of those things for me.

Perhaps its just the history teacher in me, but Plains-style headdresses paired with Northwest Coast totem poles is a definite no-no. But that goes along with the belief held by many that "all Indians are the same" when in fact their cultures were very distinct and different.