September 6, 200620 yr I'm sorry but the playing field will never be level enough to please some. You can handi-cap X and T all you want and they will find a way to win. It is more about the system than the individuals. Every year many schools have superior talent to both X and T, yet X and T win most of the titles. The only thing that will satisfy the hard core public vs. private guys is a split. JMO.
September 6, 200620 yr If the district chooses NOT to seed, than it is decided upon by each individual school whether to play district games or not. IMVHO this rule needs to be changed. If you CHOOSE not to participate in the regular season district games then you also CHOOSE not to participate in the post season. All districts should be seeded based on regular season otherwise why play regular season? You have talked about fairness to the kids, well how fair is it to the kids at the two best programs in a district that they are forced to play each other in a district tournament first round (thereby insuring one will not advance to regionals) because a school that felt it couldn't compete voted to draw for district pairings rather then seed them because it enhanced a lesser school's chances of making regionals. I'll answer for you, it's in no way shape or form fair. I'll go you one better, I think that Kentucky should eliminate taking the runner-up to regionals for just this reason. Unless you insure that the best teams, based on regular season results, won't face each other in the first round a team that loses should not advance to regionals. If a district tournament is seeded and an upset occurs then so be it, it was decided on the floor and a lesser team earned it's way into regionals.
September 6, 200620 yr IMVHO this rule needs to be changed. If you CHOOSE not to participate in the regular season district games then you also CHOOSE not to participate in the post season. All districts should be seeded based on regular season otherwise why play regular season? You have talked about fairness to the kids, well how fair is it to the kids at the two best programs in a district that they are forced to play each other in a district tournament first round (thereby insuring one will not advance to regionals) because a school that felt it couldn't compete voted to draw for district pairings rather then seed them because it enhanced a lesser school's chances of making regionals. I'll answer for you, it's in no way shape or form fair. I'll go you one better, I think that Kentucky should eliminate taking the runner-up to regionals for just this reason. Unless you insure that the best teams, based on regular season results, won't face each other in the first round a team that loses should not advance to regionals. If a district tournament is seeded and an upset occurs then so be it, it was decided on the floor and a lesser team earned it's way into regionals. Great argument for another thread and it will be started around Feb/March time when district seeding occurs. Also, and I am not exactly sure of this, but if it is such an issue, a school could submit a proposal to be considered by the delegation of the KHSAA in October. I believe that is how issues like this are decided and not by a staff member at KHSAA.
September 6, 200620 yr I'm sorry but the playing field will never be level enough to please some. You can handi-cap X and T all you want and they will find a way to win. It is more about the system than the individuals. Every year many schools have superior talent to both X and T, yet X and T win most of the titles. The only thing that will satisfy the hard core public vs. private guys is a split. JMO. Prove It
September 6, 200620 yr Prove It Isn't that what HHS, Danville, Beechwood, Mayfield, Belfry...etc are doing? Small numbers, dedication and no whining. Sounds like a winning formula to me.
September 6, 200620 yr Great argument for another thread and it will be started around Feb/March time when district seeding occurs. Also, and I am not exactly sure of this, but if it is such an issue, a school could submit a proposal to be considered by the delegation of the KHSAA in October. I believe that is how issues like this are decided and not by a staff member at KHSAA. May be an issue a lot sooner. In Lex. Cath's bball district, which has already decided to seed, contracts have not yet been returned by some city schools.
September 6, 200620 yr May be an issue a lot sooner. In Lex. Cath's bball district, which has already decided to seed, contracts have not yet been returned by some city schools. Well that is interesting. Hadn't heard that. Where this goes from here should prove an interesting story.
September 6, 200620 yr That will be fine and fair. I can name some kids from manual. Can anyone name some from male or PRP? In the last five years? Kids who went to catholic grade school and played for Male? Ok How about If they could just get kids from Jefferson county; public or private. Still would have taken alot of key people off the teams that have won the championships. Or Just say, Male PRP and Manual can get Kidds from where ever they want. Let them take them from IN, shelby, and Oldham counties, because it just wouldnt be the average football player from those counties it is the best from those counties. the point I am trying to make is this. When your team has a core or make up 90% of hard working and family supported kids that have played football since they were 8, it only takes two or three skill kids to put you over the top and far and above any other team. I believe Male and those other schools would beat T and X if they would just stay within Jefferson County. Interesting point, although not well informed. As an illustration, at Trinity, the percentage of kids from public middle schools on the football team is much lower than the school as a whole. This year, 20 of 22 starters are from Catholic schools and ALL starters are from Jefferson County. Next question.
September 7, 200620 yr That will be fine and fair. I can name some kids from manual. Can anyone name some from male or PRP? In the last five years? Kids who went to catholic grade school and played for Male? Ok How about If they could just get kids from Jefferson county; public or private. Still would have taken alot of key people off the teams that have won the championships. Or Just say, Male PRP and Manual can get Kidds from where ever they want. Let them take them from IN, shelby, and Oldham counties, because it just wouldnt be the average football player from those counties it is the best from those counties. the point I am trying to make is this. When your team has a core or make up 90% of hard working and family supported kids that have played football since they were 8, it only takes two or three skill kids to put you over the top and far and above any other team. I believe Male and those other schools would beat T and X if they would just stay within Jefferson County. What you are forgetting is that there are several Catholic kids who play for Catholic grade schools but attend public schools. These kids belong to that parish and must attend Sunday school classes to be eligible.....So who does this kid belong to???? .....My answer would be ...no one!...this is the USA...and he/she and his/her family should be able to choose where he goes to school without someone trying to punish him/her. This country is great because of the freedom to choose.......OOh and for the record ...there are 3 kids from where I coached (private grade school) that are attending Male High school and playing sports......And I'm not crying about it....I wish them well because that is the choice that was best for their family
September 7, 200620 yr Why dont you play Male and Manual and PRP with just kids from Jefferson County then see how you would fair. Better yet,Beat male with just catholic school kids then you can say how all the other factors mean to winning. Untill T and X do that no one will ever know. That wont happen just check their rooster. First off I know X and T crow alot about their teams but come on... It would hardly make a difference. 10 kids out of 104 on the St.X varsity team are from non-private grade schools. Of those 10 Im not sure if any of them are starters.
September 7, 200620 yr Prove It I believe Trinity has only had 3 D1 players on their recent run of championships. I know St.X won the 2004 championship without a single D1 player. Henry Clay got beat down bad last year by Trinity in the playoffs with a few D1 players on board and I dont think Trinity had a single one. That enough proof?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.