Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Level Playing Field

Featured Replies

Good. Missions aside, some MAY have different acceptance policies. I tire of publics telling us we must change our policies to gain their acceptance.

And yet you take the position that publics need to open enrollment as privates have.

  • Replies 183
  • Views 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And yet you take the position that publics need to open enrollment as privates have.

 

No, no, no. My desire is for publics to stop telling privates who is allowed into our school or on our sports teams. It’s up to the public schools to choose their enrollment policies, not the privates. Same goes the other way around.

This argument tires me. They are limiting themselves in the same manner that McDonald's limits themselves from selling snow tires. It is not what they are designed to do.

There is NO law that says that McDonald's can't sell tires. I happen to disagree with you that the function of a local school system should be to only educate the students from that area. I think that a little competition among the public school systems would help to improve all of them, but that isn't my call to make, except to the extent that I can influence their behavior with my vote. I also think that alowing parents to decide which school would best serve their family would be a good thing.

And yet you take the position that publics need to open enrollment as privates have.

 

While I wouldn't presume to speak for Run First I will address this statement.

 

I may be mistaken but I don't remember anyone on the private side saying that all public schools should have open enrollement. What I recall having been said is that there are potential positives to open enrollment.

 

What has also been stated is that those schools or systems that choose not to have open enrollment have self imposed limitations and they should not expect other schools that they may have to compete with to adhere to the same limitations.

There is NO law that says that McDonald's can't sell tires. I happen to disagree with you that the function of a local school system should be to only educate the students from that area. I think that a little competition among the public school systems would help to improve all of them, but that isn't my call to make, except to the extent that I can influence their behavior with my vote. I also think that alowing parents to decide which school would best serve their family would be a good thing.

Now if you want to debate that the public school's mission should change, I would enjoy reading the thoughts in a thread over that topic.

 

But would you agree that when public schools were established, they were established to educate the youth in that communities?

 

Would you agree that for the most part that is STILL the mission today?

 

I am all for allowing parents choice and have stated time and time again that this public school teacher would be in favor of a voucher system for public and private schools.

I think that a little competition among the public school systems would help to improve all of them,

 

Let me say that I have no issues with the public school system. A child WITH PARENT INVOLVEMENT can receive a good education at a public school.

While I wouldn't presume to speak for Run First I will address this statement.

 

I may be mistaken but I don't remember anyone on the private side saying that all public schools should have open enrollement. What I recall having been said is that there are potential positives to open enrollment.

 

What has also been stated is that those schools or systems that choose not to have open enrollment have self imposed limitations and they should not expect other schools that they may have to compete with to adhere to the same limitations.

I am curious on what you think are the positives for PUBLICS on open enrollment besides the increasing of numbers or athletics. I have a hard time seeing any others.

I am curious on what you think are the positives for PUBLICS on open enrollment besides the increasing of numbers or athletics. I have a hard time seeing any others.

 

I really don't have all the answers, but from JCPS web site:

 

Which learning environment will help your child most?

 

To ensure we meet the needs of every student, JCPS offers an array of learning environments and educational opportunities:

 

* Most parents always have the option of sending their child to the school serving the student's address. This often is called the resides school by JCPS staff. Our easy-to-use School Finder can help if you need to determine your resides school.

 

* JCPS elementary schools are grouped in clusters of five to ten schools. If you're the parent of an elementary student, you might want him or her to attend another school within the cluster of elementary schools serving the student's address instead of the resides school. Why? Because a program might not be available at the resides school but is available at another school within its cluster. Contact your resides school for information on the schools in the cluster serving your address, or click here for more details

 

* A magnet school is a school that provides a specialized learning environment or focuses on a specific academic area. For example, Central High School Magnet Career Academy offers a program for students who want to focus on law and government. Most magnet schools accept students from anywhere in the District. If a student is accepted, JCPS offers bus transportation regardless of where the student lives. Some magnet schools accept students only from specific areas. A magnet program operates in the same way as a magnet school, but it's a program within a school. Magnet schools and programs are offered at all grade levels-elementary, middle, and high school.

o A traditional school is a type of magnet school that focuses on basic skills in a traditional learning environment that requires uniforms, daily homework, and parental involvement. A traditional program operates in the same way as a traditional school, but it's a program within a school. Traditional schooling is available for elementary, middle, and high school students.

o A magnet career academy is a type of high school that lets students focus on training for a specific career. For instance, Southern High School Magnet Career Academy lets students focus on transportation technology. Doss High School Magnet Career Academy lets students focus on training to become teachers. JCPS offers more than a dozen magnet career academies.

o A Montessori school uses the Montessori approach to learning, which encourages critical thinking, exploration, and self-directed education. Coleridge-Taylor Montessori Elementary and Kennedy Montessori Elementary are magnet schools. Rangeland Elementary offers a Montessori Program that serves students in the Rangeland cluster of elementary schools.

* An optional program is a small, specialized program within a school. Cane Run Elementary, for example, offers the Creative Arts and Global Communications Optional Program. Many other optional programs are available for elementary, middle, and high school students. JCPS provides transportation for students in an optional program only if they live in the school's attendance area.

 

* High school open enrollment gives all incoming ninth-grade students an extra opportunity to choose a school. It offers a student who isn't interested in magnet or optional choices the opportunity to apply to a high school other than his or her resides school.

RF, I appreciate the post but you can't take Jefferson County and put the same things for the rest of the state.

 

One thing that posters on here do regularly is they only post on their life experiences and yet the KHSAA has to think of Jefferson County AND Robertson County. What works in Jefferson County won't necessarily work and probably won't work in most rural counties.

 

Also, in the situation you listed and I conceded it is a good idea because you are talking about the plans of ONE BOARD OF EDUCATION who can/does offer multiple elementary, middle school and high school choices.

 

A good number of counties have 1 elementary school, 1 middle school and 1 high school and numbers would not support another.

A good number of counties have 1 elementary school, 1 middle school and 1 high school and numbers would not support another.

 

OK, so maybe open enrollment does not make sense for them. But it's up to them to decide. Just like it's up to private schools to decide how best to run their schools. That’s all we are saying.

OK, so maybe open enrollment does not make sense for them. But it's up to them to decide. Just like it's up to private schools to decide how best to run their schools. That’s all we are saying.

But open enrollment has been held up as a thing that schools place on themselves and for a good number of rural schools they could have open enrollment and it would not change one thing. They could vote for it or vote against it and it is irrelevant. Open enrollment is not the cureall.

 

That is why I have been saying for a long time in this forum that it is more a rural/urban issue than a public/private issue.

That is why I have been saying for a long time in this forum that it is more a rural/urban issue than a public/private issue.

I agree 100% but unfortunately we are in the minority.

But open enrollment has been held up as a thing that schools place on themselves and for a good number of rural schools they could have open enrollment and it would not change one thing. They could vote for it or vote against it and it is irrelevant. Open enrollment is not the cureall.

 

That is why I have been saying for a long time in this forum that it is more a rural/urban issue than a public/private issue.

 

That might be the case. But your voice is not heard through the noise of "cheaters", "recruiters", etc.

 

We will never (I pray) change to match the policies of the public schools in order to placate a biased point a view. When publics tell us to becoming a closed school system, we tell the publics to open. When the publics tell us we need to limit, we tell them to embrace freedom. We feel we have done nothing wrong, and our system is not flawed.

That might be the case. But your voice is not heard through the noise of "cheaters", "recruiters", etc.

 

We will never (I pray) change to match the policies of the public schools in order to placate a biased point a view. When publics tell us to becoming a closed school system, we tell the publics to open. When the publics tell us we need to limit, we tell them to embrace freedom. We feel we have done nothing wrong, and our system is not flawed.

I agree wholeheartedly.

 

But systems as they are, are needed in today's society. We lose either and we are the worse for it.

 

But that makes them apples and oranges placed in one basket and a competition to pull out the best fruit. Both types are fruit are great and needed. But it does not make them the same and equal and on the same playing field.

 

My point, YES emphatically YES, privates have advantages. And 99% of their advantages are NOT bad things.

 

YES, emphatically YES, publics have advantages. And 99% of their advantages are NOT bad things.

 

Still doesn't make them on the same playing field. To say they are equal is to me, having a blind eye. The questions is, to me, are those advantages enough to warrant separation.

My brother sends his daughter to Sacred Heart. Every morning, there is a woman in Loretto, KY who gets up at 3 in the morning with her daughter and drives to my brothers house. There, the woman drops her daughter off and heads off to work in Louisville. The daughter sleeps on my brothers couch for 2 hours until he gets her and his daughter ready, and drive them to school. Since the woman goes into work so early, she's able to pick her daughter up after school.

 

I know this is a pretty extreme example, but why in the world would a private school want to turn away families (this girl is a student, nothing more) who are willing to put so much into their child's education? They wouldn't, and that's why private schools will never say "We'll only take from Jefferson Co."

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.