November 18, 200619 yr BLATANT SEGREGATION? R U joking or what? Private schools are segregated from public schools. They don't receive federal or state funding from tax based monies. Your arguement is falling apart. If anything, parents that send their kids to private schools are paying for segregation from problems that persist in public schools. Private schools pick and choose kids based on testing and other aspects. Public schools accept everyone. SURELY U CAN COME UP WITH SOMETHING BETTER THAN THIS AS AN ARGUEMENT. As for the Northern Ky school, look at the addresses on the KHSAA website that the football coaches have to turn in. Approximately 20 addresses are from Cincinnati from one of these northern Kentucky schools.:ylsuper: Maybe just maybe Covington Latin . Their freshmen are really 6th or 7th graders and graduate high school when they are the same age as a sophomore at a normal high school.
November 19, 200619 yr The two players from Frankfort who played at LexCath also earned scholarships to college. That may not have happened had they stayed in Frankfort. Their parents made the best decision for their children. I might add anyone who lives in Frankfort and wants to make the 60 mile round trip,fight the traffic on Clays Mill every day for four years, study in an all college prep environment and pay tuition for that privilege is pretty motivated. What's wrong with that?Why wouldn't they have been able to earn college scholarships playing out of Frankfort? In basketball it seems these days it's not necessarily how kids perform in high school competition that earns the scholarship, it is AAU competition during the summer. Write it down, there will be individuals get football scholarships that played for the 9-3 Frankfort Panthers and the 9-3 Franklin County Flyers. These players did not need a private school to get to the next level. You imply that the only way to get to the next level out of Frankfort is to go to a private school in Lexington. FYI public schools teach college prep as well and many that move on from public high school to graduate from college are equally as successful. I have no problem with choice and someone being motivated. I do have a problem with negative perceptions being perpetuated about public schools in Frankfort in order that private schools two counties away look more attractive. This tactic gives a private school an advantage, especially with impact athletes. I am for the proposal that requires tuition to private schools be paid by a student's immediate family (i'm not sure how that proposal reads exactly). Current tax laws are such that one individual can gift to another I believe up to ten thousand dollars without tax consequences. I am not saying that this is happening, but why would the above have been proposed if there wasn't suspicion that this could have happened somewhere in the State of Kentucky with one of the many private schools in order to attract an impact athlete? I think passing this proposal could help level the playing field.
November 19, 200619 yr Why wouldn't they have been able to earn college scholarships playing out of Frankfort? In basketball it seems these days it's not necessarily how kids perform in high school competition that earns the scholarship, it is AAU competition during the summer. Write it down, there will be individuals get football scholarships that played for the 9-3 Frankfort Panthers and the 9-3 Franklin County Flyers. These players did not need a private school to get to the next level. You imply that the only way to get to the next level out of Frankfort is to go to a private school in Lexington. FYI public schools teach college prep as well and many that move on from public high school to graduate from college are equally as successful. I think passing this proposal could help level the playing field. One can get a scholarship playing in Frankfort but many believe that a change to another school will better their chances at one or will lead to a better offer. That isn't limited to Private schools although those are popular choices. It also happens with parents choosing to send their child to a certain coach or program. (See the various Boone County threads in the Girls Basketball forum). There is a certain amount of exposure an athlete will gain by playing at a private or public school that plays in many prestigious tournaments or playing in the Sweet Sixteen or deep into the football playoffs. Does it lead to more and better scholarship offers? I would say it does in a lot of cases.
November 20, 200619 yr The two players from Frankfort who played at LexCath also earned scholarships to college. That may not have happened had they stayed in Frankfort. Their parents made the best decision for their children. I might add anyone who lives in Frankfort and wants to make the 60 mile round trip,fight the traffic on Clays Mill every day for four years, study in an all college prep environment and pay tuition for that privilege is pretty motivated. What's wrong with that? As stated previously, I think they made the right choice. However, don't think for one second that both of these kids paid tuition. I know that one of these students was on full scholarship and workbase tuition. I am not sure about the other student. Which brings up another question? How could a below average student that has poor grades coming from 8th grade, no way to pay for the tuition, receive a scholarship and work grant to go to school for free? However, kids that live in Lexington and pass a test are turned away.
November 20, 200619 yr As stated previously, I think they made the right choice. However, don't think for one second that both of these kids paid tuition. I know that one of these students was on full scholarship and workbase tuition. I am not sure about the other student. Which brings up another question? How could a below average student that has poor grades coming from 8th grade, no way to pay for the tuition, receive a scholarship and work grant to go to school for free? However, kids that live in Lexington and pass a test are turned away. This will shock some but let me get through my whole post. I applaud LC for doing what you have laid out, if that happens. ABSOLUTELY, they are in the business of providing for the unfortunate. They are a CHRISTIAN-based school and that SHOULD BE A MAIN PART OF WHAT THEY DO. I applaud them for it and encourage them to do more of it. But because they are fulfilling Christian requirements that puts them on a different field than a public school. The same as receiving tax dollars and not having to rely on fundraising/tuition for funds puts the publics on a different playing field. So don't give me the argument that the two are equal, because they are not in any shape or form. The question becomes is that difference (which no one in their right mind can argue is there) big enough to split.
November 20, 200619 yr A parent sending a Student to a private school is their perogative . Having the majority trying to seperate the minority from themselves because of imaginary grievences is blatant discrimination . In the United States seperate but equal is against the law . What the public apologists would have is even worse seperate and un-equal . On the contrary, I believe that public schools were here first and the minority (private schools) decided that the public education system was not good enough for their children. Which I am in support of. I understand that and will be sending my children to private school. However, I understand that if I choose to do this, there are things that the government funds that I am giving up. You too should understand that you can't have your cake and eat it too. It is also against the law to run a Monopoly in the United States. Having 80 feeder schools claimed to one high school is what I would consider a Monopoly, wouldn't you???
November 20, 200619 yr This will shock some but let me get through my whole post. I applaud LC for doing what you have laid out, if that happens. ABSOLUTELY, they are in the business of providing for the unfortunate. They are a CHRISTIAN-based school and that SHOULD BE A MAIN PART OF WHAT THEY DO. I applaud them for it and encourage them to do more of it. But because they are fulfilling Christian requirements that puts them on a different field than a public school. The same as receiving tax dollars and not having to rely on fundraising/tuition for funds puts the publics on a different playing field. So don't give me the argument that the two are equal, because they are not in any shape or form. The question becomes is that difference (which no one in their right mind can argue is there) big enough to split. I think you are confused. I would never argue that the 2 are equal. Where did you get that from???
November 20, 200619 yr I think you are confused. I would never argue that the 2 are equal. Where did you get that from??? Didn't mean to apply that to you but was using your post to make a point.
November 20, 200619 yr This will shock some but let me get through my whole post. I applaud LC for doing what you have laid out, if that happens. ABSOLUTELY, they are in the business of providing for the unfortunate. They are a CHRISTIAN-based school and that SHOULD BE A MAIN PART OF WHAT THEY DO. I applaud them for it and encourage them to do more of it. I thought it was a Catholic School with the purpose of teaching appropriate values and most importantly perpetuating the Catholic Faith. Helping the unfortunate from two counties away, a Non-Catholic that is an impact athlete, seems to accomplish one thing. Help win championships!!!!
November 20, 200619 yr On the contrary, I believe that public schools were here first and the minority (private schools) decided that the public education system was not good enough for their children. Which I am in support of. I understand that and will be sending my children to private school. However, I understand that if I choose to do this, there are things that the government funds that I am giving up. You too should understand that you can't have your cake and eat it too. It is also against the law to run a Monopoly in the United States. Having 80 feeder schools claimed to one high school is what I would consider a Monopoly, wouldn't you??? If you are refering to Lex Cath please go to the Diocese of Lexington web site they have only 16 schools listed there that could be considered a feeder school . Just because a parent from a public middle decides to send their child to Lex Cath does not automatically make that particular middle school a feeder school for Lex Cath . The opposite of course is true also .
November 20, 200619 yr I thought it was a Catholic School with the purpose of teaching appropriate values and most importantly perpetuating the Catholic Faith. Helping the unfortunate from two counties away, a Non-Catholic that is an impact athlete, seems to accomplish one thing. Help win championships!!!! And as long as it was the parents and only the parents decision to send that student athlete to there then there should be no whining or complaining about it
November 20, 200619 yr I thought it was a Catholic School with the purpose of teaching appropriate values and most importantly perpetuating the Catholic Faith. Helping the unfortunate from two counties away, a Non-Catholic that is an impact athlete, seems to accomplish one thing. Help win championships!!!! The bolded is part of helping the unfortunate. While I am not Catholic nor approve of some of their practices, I do appreciate the workings they do in the name of Jesus Christ and encourage them to continue to spread the Good News.
November 20, 200619 yr Which brings up another question? How could a below average student that has poor grades coming from 8th grade, no way to pay for the tuition, receive a scholarship and work grant to go to school for free? However, kids that live in Lexington and pass a test are turned away. Are these rhetorical questions?
November 20, 200619 yr On the contrary, I believe that public schools were here first and the minority (private schools) decided that the public education system was not good enough for their children. Which I am in support of. I understand that and will be sending my children to private school. However, I understand that if I choose to do this, there are things that the government funds that I am giving up. You too should understand that you can't have your cake and eat it too. It is also against the law to run a Monopoly in the United States. Having 80 feeder schools claimed to one high school is what I would consider a Monopoly, wouldn't you??? I believe that Presentation, a private school was the first high school in Kentucky, not that I think it has anything to do with anything,
November 20, 200619 yr It is also against the law to run a Monopoly in the United States. Having 80 feeder schools claimed to one high school is what I would consider a Monopoly, wouldn't you??? Private schools have zero feeder schools. Every student that chooses a private school has made a free choice to attend that school. They also had the right to choose a public school.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.