Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Level Playing Field

Featured Replies

 

Which brings up another question? How could a below average student that has poor grades coming from 8th grade, no way to pay for the tuition, receive a scholarship and work grant to go to school for free? However, kids that live in Lexington and pass a test are turned away.

This post comes very close to a rule violation. To clarify, IF the situation you describe existed, it would likely be a violation of KHSAA rules. If you have specific information regarding illegal recruiting or financial aid, I suggest you report it. I would also encourage you to find out how financial aid is really awarded. If you did, you might find it necessary to retract your post.

  • Replies 183
  • Views 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The bolded is part of helping the unfortunate. While I am not Catholic nor approve of some of their practices, I do appreciate the workings they do in the name of Jesus Christ and encourage them to continue to spread the Good News.
I guess you are right. It is possible that these impact athletes from two counties away could someday convert to Catholicism and become contributing members of the Catholic Church.
I guess you are right. It is possible that these impact athletes from two counties away could someday convert to Catholicism and become contributing members of the Catholic Church.

Or they could gain knowledge of Jesus Christ through the Catholic school that someday may lead them to give their life to him in a Christian church other than Catholic.

 

Parents are searching for alternatives from the public school for a variety of reasons. And so private Christian schools, both Catholic and non-Catholic become an outreach tool. This is exactly what Jesus' church should be doing.

 

But that doesn't mean they play on the same level field athletically.

I believe that Presentation, a private school was the first high school in Kentucky, not that I think it has anything to do with anything,

Actually, this is news to me. I always thought that the first high schools were HIS and HERS high schools in Jefferson County. HERS has since closed; however, HIS is now Louisville Male which is why the school has an "H" on its hat. Maybe I am wrong; maybe these were the first 2 public high schools.

Private schools have zero feeder schools. Every student that chooses a private school has made a free choice to attend that school. They also had the right to choose a public school.

Do your homework; you are wrong. Do you even know what a feeder school is???

Actually, this is news to me. I always thought that the first high schools were HIS and HERS high schools in Jefferson County. HERS has since closed; however, HIS is now Louisville Male which is why the school has an "H" on its hat. Maybe I am wrong; maybe these were the first 2 public high schools.

It just happens that Presentation is celebrating its 175th birthday today. Happy birthday Pres!!!

Are these rhetorical questions?

 

Not at all. You and I both know that one of these 2 students going from Frankfort to Catholic couldn't afford tuition and most certainly couldn't have passed the test to get in coming from the 8th grade.

It just happens that Presentation is celebrating its 175th birthday today. Happy birthday Pres!!!

She doesn't look a day over 29.

Not at all. You and I both know that one of these 2 students going from Frankfort to Catholic couldn't afford tuition and most certainly couldn't have passed the test to get in coming from the 8th grade.

One of the things that disturbs me the most in the public - private debate is the number of people that think they know things when in reality they don't understand how the private schools work. First, no one knows the financial details for another family and they have no way to know. Second, financial aid awards are determined by a KHSAA approved out of state agency that has no knowledge of who the students are or their status as an athlete. All financial forms are submitted without a name attached. Finally, the admission test at the Catholic schools is a PLACEMENT test. It is not used to determine admission. It is used to help determine the appropriate classes for the individual student. You are implying that something is going on. If you think you know something, please report it to the KHSAA. If not, why not take the time to gather some facts.

Do your homework; you are wrong. Do you even know what a feeder school is???

He's not wrong...Feeder schools send students directly from middle school to high school (like, I believe, Barrett to Male). Traditionally 8th graders from Catholic schools do attend Catholic high schools, but they are not "fed" to them. That's why all private high schools work so hard to attract students. They are not guaranteed any new students each year.

He's not wrong...Feeder schools send students directly from middle school to high school (like, I believe, Barrett to Male). Traditionally 8th graders from Catholic schools do attend Catholic high schools, but they are not "fed" to them. That's why all private high schools work so hard to attract students. They are not guaranteed any new students each year.

Not sure that is accurate for all private schools. I seem to remember the posters on here that support NKY private schools have indicated that you live in a certain area and this is your choice for private school. It seems to me that you cannot live south of Alexandria and attend Notre Dame necessarily.

 

If I am off base would someone knowledgeable of NKY private schools please correct me.

 

And private school supporters have made it clear that public schools are not guaranteed any new students each year. It is the parent's choice to send them to a public school.

 

Actually, let me correct myself, those that are court-ordered to be attending a certain school or go to juvy are guarantees but that would be about it.

Do your homework; you are wrong. Do you even know what a feeder school is???

I know exactly what a feeder school is, and most parochial grade schools don't qualify. The high school attended by the largest number of kids from our parish school is the local PUBLIC school. The same is true for most if not all of the Louisville parochial schools.

Some posters might want to access http://www.lexingtoncatholic.com. to become better educated about the school. There's a wealth of information at that website regarding the mission of the school, admissions, financial aid, etc. etc.

Some posters might want to access http://www.lexingtoncatholic.com. to become better educated about the school. There's a wealth of information at that website regarding the mission of the school, admissions, financial aid, etc. etc.
I have been there thank you and am very familiar with Catholic schools and am a practicing Catholic. I understand the mission of Catholic schools as I not only attended them myself but have children that attend.
Not sure that is accurate for all private schools. I seem to remember the posters on here that support NKY private schools have indicated that you live in a certain area and this is your choice for private school. It seems to me that you cannot live south of Alexandria and attend Notre Dame necessarily.

 

If I am off base would someone knowledgeable of NKY private schools please correct me.

 

.

 

You are off base. NKY high schools have designated by the Diocese feeder grade schools but you can still attend any private high school you want. Plus Latin and Villa have no designated feeder schools as they offer a different academic program. You may have to pay an out of district tuition rate if you attend a grade school/parish and then attend a high school not designated as your feeder's receiver.

 

There have been many students attend high schools not in "their district" because of various reasons and some of them have nothing to do with athletics. For example, some girls living in Campbell County attend Notre Dame in Kenton County because the Mom, Aunts, and Grandmother went there and they want a single-sex education for their daughter.

 

Under the "proposed KHSAA rules" any Catholic grade school student from anywhere in the Diocese could attend any Catholic high school in the Diocese without sitting out a year because the entire Diocese is considered one school system.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.